X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davepet
    replied
    Originally posted by FocalPoint View Post
    However, it's not written in stone that having this cancer in your life will certainly be passed onto your children,
    I certainly never even implied that. Indeed I am unaware of any disease that can be certain to be passed on to one's offspring. What can be passed off is an increased tendency to get the disease, nothing more.

I think as they delve further into the genome, much more will come to light than we know today.

Leave a comment:

• FocalPoint
    replied
    Originally posted by Davepet View Post
    I don't believe there is enough information yet to make that comment. I just last month took part in a study looking to see if TC might have a genetic component. Just because we have not identified a genetic disposition does not mean one does not exist.

As I said, TC is not described as being a hereditary type cancer, which that spot is more so reserved for colon and breast cancers. The possibility of genetic material being altered or susceptible to developing cancer is still there, which I did not disagree with. However, it's not written in stone that having this cancer in your life will certainly be passed onto your children,

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Cancer isn't hereditary, \
    I don't believe there is enough information yet to make that comment. I just last month took part in a study looking to see if TC might have a genetic component. Just because we have not identified a genetic disposition does not mean one does not exist.

Your father, or grandfather does not need to have had TC for you to get it, which is a great misconception.
    It certainly is not *required* to have cancer in your family history, in order to get a cancer dx, however there does seem to be an increase in the tendency to get cancer if there is cancer in your family's history.Also if you've had cancer once, your odds are a bit worse to get another cancer, I have no idea if that is due to your genetic makeup or how harsh the treatments are....
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• FocalPoint
    replied
    I'm seeing a lot of people here are associating TC with hereditary. Cancer isn't hereditary, as it won't stem from a single gene in the DNA strand that is passed onto you, but it can widen your chances obviously for such things to occur. Your father, or grandfather does not need to have had TC for you to get it, which is a great misconception.

Thought I'd clear that up.

As far as the anchored but unattached marble at the top... is it part of the tubing? If so that might be completely normal or an infection.

As for the gentleman on the boat, please attempt to speak with the medical officer in sickbay, and ask him to have a look. They're pretty well versed in medicine, being the last resort for most on a ship out at seas for weeks. They have to be. Ask him to have a look, and maybe he can give you his idea on the severity. It might be cause to get you off the boat sooner rather than later, which would put your mind at ease if you could get to work on finding out what it is.

Leave a comment:

• geoffw
    replied
    if there is nothing u can do now then make sure u get it checked out when u get off the boat. If it turns out to be nothing then u haven't lost anything but time. If it is something then the earlier u catch it the better for u. No one in my family has cancer, I was the 1st so make sure u don't ignore it.,

Leave a comment:

• Pjb
    replied
    Hard lump

Hi. It started 6-7 months ago playing football . Had a groin strain which the doc gave me 2 months of anti inflammtories, after finishing the course groin was still sore so went back to doc ad given another 2 months course. At this point there was no lump or anything noticeable on testicle, then I came away to work onboard a ship for 6 weeks and whilst checking my testicles I found a hard marble sized lump on the top of my left testicle which is directly attached to it . Problem is I have another 3 weeks left of the trip so it will be 3 weeks left of worry before I can get to see the doc. Has anybody had any similar experiences?cancer doesn't run in the family , 2 kids the youngest being 8 months old I'm 32 yrs old. Pretty worried as its hard and attached to The testicle all signs of tc. Hope this is only something minor through the injury playing football.

Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• curiouz12345
    replied
    hi, now that I look back, it really doesn't move as much as I mentioned..pretty anchored in place. I can't tell if the lump is solid or not, it feels kind of solid, like it is a part of the testicle ... even, as I mentioned, feels the same as the testicle if you were to squeeze it. Is TC like that ?

Do you think the dull ache I'm feeling from my testicle into my groin is because I have been squeezing the lump a lot the past few days?

Gonna get it checked out, guess much diagnosis can't be really done on the internet.

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    You are doing the right thing to get it checked out, any lump needs to be checked by the doc.

The odds are good it is not TC, there are many causes of lumps & the location of yours makes it difficult to tell. No point in worrying yet, just get it checked & see what the doc thinks.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• curiouz12345
    started a topic Lump on top of left testicle

Lump on top of left testicle

Hi, I have a soft lump on top of my left testicle near the Epididymis - not familiar with the anatomy(the lump is squeezable not completely solid, so it feels, and slightly can move around, but it stays in the same spot, can move side to side it seems, like it is 'anchored' to a certain spot.). It is the size of a BB, maybe the size of a pea at most. The actual lump, when feeling my testicle is on the right side of what feels to be the top of the testicle. It seems to be attached to the testicle, and does not freely move around.

When pressing the lump, I get the radiating pain that goes up to my groin/lower stomach ... the exact same feeling as if you were kicked in the balls. I am having a constant dull ache in my left testicle, could possibly be from squeezing it too much. The left side of my groin is also experiencing a gassy-feeling, could be something totally unrelated, or possibly due to my testicle.

I have an appt. for the Dr. next week but was wondering if anyone could give me some details to possibly give me a piece of mind for the moment being.

I am 16 years old, and TC does not run in the family.

Any questions? Please feel free to ask !!!

Thanks.
    Last edited by curiouz12345; 08-31-12, 11:05 PM.
Working...
X