X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mac
    • Jan 2017

Confused by Ultrasound Results

First, before I get into my situation I just have to say, after reading so many posts here I'm encouraged and amazed by how strong and awesome everyone is!

So, I'm a 35 year-old married dude with a few kids. About 20 days ago I noticed a small bump on top of my left testicle, about the size of a grain of rice, right next to my epididymus. My doctor ordered an ultrasound and when he received the results, his conclusion was, "Nothing worrisome, return if anything changes." Not satisfied, I requested a copy of the US results, which I picked up today. The results state:

Impression:
    1. Small bilateral hydrocels.
    2. Palpable lump corresponds to a nonspecific small hypoechoic nodule in the subcutaneous tissue.

Skipping ahead . . . both right and left testis/epididymis appear normal . . .

Findings:
    The possible lump corresponds to a subcutaneous nodule measuring 3.9 x 2.7 x .6 mm. The nodule is external to the testes.

Now, from everything I have read, hypoechoic is typically a sign of a malignant mass. However. I have also read that external masses are typically benign. What really confuses me is how the mass is both subcutaneous and external to the testes. Those seem contradictory but I'm not a doctor nor do I have any knowledge beyond what I've found searching.

Not wanting to leave anything to chance, I requested a referral to a urologist but the soonest appointment is two weeks out. In the meantime, anything I can learn from you guys would be helpful. Thanks!
  • JeskiM69
    • May 2014

Since it's external to the Testis it's not TC.

I don't know what it is; but I do agree with the doc regarding keeping an eye on it and go back if anything changes.

Getting a Urologist for a second opinion is a smart move too.

I think that you are doing everything that I would do if I were in your shoes:

1: Getting a copy of the US report
    2: Getting a second opinion from a Urologist

- Matt
    March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
    March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
    6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
    LDH never fully normalized
    Stage: IS
    Watchful Waiting
    May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
    May 12th: started 3xBEP
    Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
    July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
    August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
    September 4th: Port removed
    Jan 9th 2019: 4.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

• MarkOne
      • Sep 2015

Subcutaneous means it's below the skin layers (in this case of the scrotum ) so it is in the sack but not in the ball.

Comment

• Mac
        • Jan 2017

Thanks for the replies. Are there are extratesticular growths ever malignant?

Comment

• Braydenraz
          • Feb 2017

Have you found out what the growth is yet?

Comment

• Mac
            • Jan 2017

I have an appointment with the urologist tomorrow morning, I'll post what I find out.

Comment

• Mac
              • Jan 2017

Appointment with the urologist went well, he diagnosed it as a benign cyst in the tunica albuginea. I have a follow up US in three months just to make sure nothing changes, so pretty much best news I could have gotten!

Comment

• MarkOne
                • Sep 2015

Great result!

Comment

• Braydenraz
                  • Feb 2017

Good! That makes me happy

Comment

• Mac
                    • Jan 2017

Ugh, this evening I noticed some swelling in my groin, along my inguinal canal on the left (bump) side. I can't feel any enlarged lymph nodes underneath. No idea what it is. Wondering if I should return to the dr.

Comment

• Chemin
                      • Feb 2014

Hello,
                      Return to the doctor. My son went through three ultrasounds and 3 appointments to the urologist and continued to be misdiagnosed for 3 1/2 months. I was told he had a hydrocele, epididymitis, etc. He was put on antibiotics and then Advil for the testicular swelling and pain he experienced. He had an orchiectomy due to pain which he suffered from for 3 months, not due to the doc thinking he actually had TC. He found out he had cancer after the pathology report was done which was 7 days after the surgery. Be your own advocate. Push those doctors for an answer and most important, make sure you see improvement if they give you these "other" diagnoses that should be cured within a reasonable amount of time.
                      9/6/13 Left I/O. 18 year old son diagnosed 9/13/13 Stage 2C. Path report: embryonal and yolk sac with spermatic cord involvement and lymphatic invasion BEP x 3 finished 11/25/13. PC-RPLND with Dr. Foster at IU on 1/21/14. Found only dead cancer! Surveillance as of 1/23/14. All clear as of 5/2018.

Comment

• Mac
                        • Jan 2017

Thanks Chemin. I had a similar experience advocating for our daughter several years ago when her doctors wouldn't take her illness seriously. We had multiple visits to the ER with x-rays and ultrasounds just to be told she had gas. On the 4th visit to the ER in a week, we finally got them to do a CT scan which revealed she was missing the organs they were looking for (kidney, appendix, gall bladder) and that her intestines were twisted around the superior mesenteric artery, requiring emergency surgery. Whoops!

Anyway, I'm hoping my swelling just an inguinal hernia. I noticed it the other day after doing some squats and deadlifts. It recedes when lying down and pokes out more when I cough. Anyway, I'm obviously going to keep a close eye on it, but I think I'm being a little hypersensitive to every lump, bump and pain when I'm probably just getting old, haha!
                        Last edited by Mac; 02-12-17, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X