Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Braydenraz
    • Feb 2017

I haven't started improving yet, everyday is worse than the last so hopefully soon it plateaus and levels out as I start to get better. The only good thing about having mono is maybe it can explain some of the strange feelings of pain in my abdomen and back as well as a general feeling of lousiness. Yeah they gave a cortisone shot because she said it would help the neck pain caused by the swollen lymph nodes (which it did not).

The English doctor unfortunately couldn't help me too much with information on the epididymal cyst, he said the Urologist knows more. I just hope it doesn't grow anymore because the cyst is getting more uncomfortable, and kind of my whole groin area has uncomfortability that comes and goes. But this sickness has kind of made me forget about it for some time. How long did it take you to recover from your Mono after you hit your peak illness of when it was the worst?

I'm supposed to go to Spain next week if i'm not too sick and I think I might see another Urologist while I'm there maybe to get a second opinion also to maybe ask about the CetraFlox. I want to start taking it but first I think I think I should be better from the Mono before I start taking other medication.

Comment

• Trekga
      • Jan 2017

Yes, please get another opinion.
      Son Grant
      dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
      Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
      2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
      Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

• Mac
        • Jan 2017

I agree with Trekga about getting another opinion just to be sure, but the mono would explain your overall feeling of being unwell. IIRC, I got sick a several weeks before coming home, and feel like it peaked a couple weeks in when I wasn't even able to talk. But everyone's different, you might clear up quicker. Hope you're well enough to make it to Spain!

Comment

• Braydenraz
          • Feb 2017

Made it to Spain, kind of recovering now from mono. Saw a Urologist, he said its rare to have cancer in the epididymis but not impossible. Tomorrow i'm getting a blood test for tumour markers, he said that should have been done in the first place. I hope the results come soon, i'll update you all when I know.

Comment

• Mac
            • Jan 2017

Hey, good to hear from you! I'm glad you were able to connect with another doctor and that your mono symptoms are beginning to resolve. I hope the trend continues with good lab results! How's Spain? It's been raining nonstop here in Oregon for days so I'm totally jealous!

Comment

• Braydenraz
              • Feb 2017

Good news! my tumour markers seem to have come back all normal. It's kind of confusing because its not in English but the numbers don't lie. Alpha Feto Protein was 3.05 ng/ml and normal for adults is less than 10 from what I understand. Another marker was PCR 0.09 and normal us below 0.50. Beta human chorionic gonadotropin was 0.16 and normal is below 3.00.
              I also got them to throw in Prostate Specific Antigen marker just because I have lots of discomfort in that area as well and it was 0.45 ng/ml and normal is below 3.10.

So the urologist was right, it must just be a spermatocele or cyst. I guess I'll be living with it for the rest of my life then, I just hope it doesn't grow anymore because the discomfort is already pretty annoying and I guess the back pain must have just been from the mono. Wow I am relieved, that was a very stressful month and a half, thank you to everyone who replied to this thread I really appreciate it. It's nice to feel so much support from everybody.

And Mac, Spain was good, the weather was like 18-20 degrees and I'm from Vancouver so that is basically summer for me! My dad back home said it's been snowing on and off for months and this winter is dragging on, I wish you guys better weather on the west coast. My mono symptoms are starting to go away except for my sore throat which will be gone for a day or two but then it comes back pretty intense for another day or two which is strange, my tonsils also appear pretty disgusting still, nice and swollen with white plaques covering them.

Anyways, thanks again to everyone who helped me. I hope one day I can support someone else who is in a position like I was, it really helped with my anxiety and it relieved me knowing there were other people to talk to about this stuff.

Comment

• Davepet
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Braydenraz View Post
                my tonsils also appear pretty disgusting still, nice and swollen with white plaques covering them..
                I don't know anything about mono, but that sounds like tonsillitis...
                Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Mac
                  • Jan 2017

Davepet: Mono can cause white patches on tonsils.

Braydenraz: Very glad to hear your lab results, I hope your symptoms continue to improve and that you're able to enjoy some sickness free time over there. I seem to recall that cysts can spontaneously resolve or they can just stay the same forever. Hopefully, yours resolve. Anyway, thanks for updating with the positive news, take care and good luck on the rest of the time abroad!

Comment

Working...
                  X