X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a lump a week ago. . Terrified! Please help

A week ago, I woke up to sharp pain in my right testicle. Touching it was quite painful but when I did fondle it, I noticed a tiny lump, about the size of a pinhead, on the top of my right testicle. It was very sensitive so I let it go for a day or two until the pain subsided. Afterwards, the lump remained and it was no longer painful. In fact, it was quite painless and is so now as well. If I have to guess the size of the lump, I would say it is around 2-3 mm in diameter and 1-2 mm protruding out. The location is not quite certain. It's definitely very close to the epididymis but I'm not sure whether its on it or the testicle itself. It feels hard when felt during a relaxed scrotum, but is difficult to notice otherwise. If I run my finger across it, it feels a little slippery, although not much, giving a feeling that it is not originating from the testicle. But, I cannot be sure. Also, I felt the pain only when the lump surfaced, none afterward.
    I should also tell you that I am 25, and have a history of Prostatitis/CPPS. And since the past couple of days, the symptoms have returned. Occasional pain in the pelvis, need to urinate frequently and difficulty while starting and stopping the stream of urine. I am terrified that I might have TC. Mostly because the lump feels attached to the testicle. I know you guys would want me to check-up with a GP or a Urologist and get an Ultrasound done, but I have the most important day of my life coming up next month, a job opportunity I've always wanted. And I don't want to get the bad news of having a TC before the big day. I shall definitely consult with a doctor, but only after that. Till then I wanted to share this with you guys, hoping that you might have some insight into what it could be. Any replies would be highly appreciated.

Hey darling a new job is nothing comparing to your health. So yes I would suggest you to go and see the doctor ASAP. Hopefully it is not cancer but it is better to be safe then sorry

Comment

The longer you wait and it turns out to be TC the higher your risk for it to spread. Go see the DR right away to get it checked. A simple ultrasound will help your doctor determine the probabilities of what it is and your next steps from there.
      April 2017 - Scheduled physical with DR for testicular pain / ultrasound scheduled
      May 2017 - US shows 3 solid masses 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.7 cm/0.8 x 0.5 x 0.8 cm/ 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
      June 2017 - Left orchiectomy & diagnosed with Seminoma
      As of October 2017 - All clear!

Comment

Originally posted by isuhael View Post
        I know you guys would want me to check-up with a GP or a Urologist and get an Ultrasound done, but I have the most important day of my life coming up next month, a job opportunity I've always wanted. And I don't want to get the bad news of having a TC before the big day. I shall definitely consult with a doctor, but only after that. Till then I wanted to share this with you guys, hoping that you might have some insight into what it could be. Any replies would be highly appreciated.
        As far as insight, well, it very well *could* be TC. It could also be a number of other things more benign. There is no way for us to know. An U/S is the standard procedure at this point, not even a doc could tell you more than that.

Let's look at your options, though:
        1-Do nothing until after the "big event" Medically, you probably get away putting it off for a month. I put it off for a year with #2 & paid the price of chemo, but I'm still alive.The question is how much extra treatment is this job worth, considering the not always minimal long term side effects? Also say you get the job, how will they feel about you needing to take several months off before you've worked even a month? Or will you feel a need to put it off even longer to get some "time in" first? How long?

2- Get the U/S, it might set your mind at ease, & make getting the job easier, but if it's bad news, letting a potential employer know up front that you have a recently discovered problem before they hire you shows a lot of integrity that any employer worth working for will appreciate. I've worked with some great employers, & I've worked for some real a-holes. Even if the money is better, don't waste your life working for a-holes, it takes too much out of you.

In both the short & long haul, you are better off knowing what you are up against, you can know & do nothing for a month, but the not knowing will eat at you worse than knowing & probably kill your chances. Get to a doc.

Dave
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

My husband was trying to make a career change when his cancer was discovered. After we found out what was going on, we were relieved that he had found a new job yet and was still at his old one, because he would not have been eligible for leave if he had, and so might be out of a job now. Also, he would not have had the short term disability insurance that he currently has, which had been big help, and health insurance would have become an issue too. So think about what benefits you have at your current job and what will happen if you leave and THEN get diagnosed with something. Better to find out now, then if nothing is wrong move onto your dream job with no worries, but if something is wrong then you can evaluate your options.

My other thought on waiting is this: my husband's diagnosis took a few weeks, and was quite advanced when discovered. From the time of discovery to the time chemo started it grew a LOT. Now we've just found out that the chemo didn't get it all and are waiting to find out the next step, and I can't help but wonder if things would be better if treatment had started those few weeks sooner. Please don't take a chance with your health.

Comment

I have the most important day of my life coming up next month, a job opportunity I've always wanted. And I don't want to get the bad news of having a TC before the big day. I shall definitely consult with a doctor, but only after that. Till then I wanted to share this with you guys, hoping that you might have some insight into what it could be.

My insight is that it could be TC. But it sounds as if you've already decided on a course of action so there's not much more I can say. Except that I was also "busy" with life changes when I first noticed a lump but decided after some quick research that 99% of the time it isn't TC. So getting the answer I wanted to hear I went on doing what I thought was more important in my life for a few more months.

When "life" finally quieted down I did get it checked out and it was TC. I'll never know if getting it checked out right away would have spared me an RPLND, pulmonary embolisms, chylous ascites, peritonis or pneumonia but I do know for sure that from now on my health will come before pretty well anything else that's happening in my life.

Comment

A large number of testicular cancer patients are cured with orchiectomy alone. This is when the cancer is caught early obviously. I was feeling pretty good after two weeks after my orchiectomy. Fully recovered in a month. If you do it now, chances are you'll be recovered or very close in time for your potential new job. Thats if the ultrasound finds a mass in the testicle.

Now, let me tell you why its urgent that you go see a urologist and get an ultrasound. My TC (unlike many here) also started with a sharp pain. I also found a lump just after the sharp pain. My testicle was also very sensitive after the pain, by the next day the pain was better (thats when I went in to the ER to get the lump checked and the ultrasound revealed masses in my testicle). I dont want to scare you, it could be nothing. The only way to know is with an ultrasound.

Putting this off should NOT be an option. If it is cancer it WILL catch up to you and you WILL need treatment beyond orchiectomy if you put it off for too long. Best to see the doc, get an ultrasound (demand one), and get answers for sure.

Again. Do.NOT.wait!
              11/16- Pain/lump in R testicle 11/16- US finds multiple masses 11/16- Right I/O path multifocal largest nodule 2.1cm 100% EC with LVI/rete testis invasion. 12/16- Ct/markers normal stage 1b 12/16- Ct/markers normal 1/17- rplnd pN1 2 nodes 1.8/1.4 cm EC Stage IIA 2/20 ct/markers clear! 3/1/17 started androgel for low T 4/27/17 Relapsed. Multiple lymph nodes in mesentary and few nodes in retriperitoneum. Start 3x bep. Ct after 2nd cycle revealed all masses already resolved! Continue last cycle! 6/26/17 Finished 3x bep!

Comment

It should be known that there are many different types of testicular cancer, some grow and spread slowly, some grow and spread incredibly quickly. So don't be thinking that "you have time". Get it checked
                11/16- Pain/lump in R testicle 11/16- US finds multiple masses 11/16- Right I/O path multifocal largest nodule 2.1cm 100% EC with LVI/rete testis invasion. 12/16- Ct/markers normal stage 1b 12/16- Ct/markers normal 1/17- rplnd pN1 2 nodes 1.8/1.4 cm EC Stage IIA 2/20 ct/markers clear! 3/1/17 started androgel for low T 4/27/17 Relapsed. Multiple lymph nodes in mesentary and few nodes in retriperitoneum. Start 3x bep. Ct after 2nd cycle revealed all masses already resolved! Continue last cycle! 6/26/17 Finished 3x bep!

Comment

I have read your replies and have scheduled an appointment with a Urologist, on 26th. I'll push him for an U/S as soon as possible. I'll just get this over with. Whatever be the result.
                  Just an update: The lump has shrunk quite a bit and can barely be felt. It feels like a flap, that can flip right and left.The pain has also subsided. I hope the doctor notices it during the checkup because it's difficult to spot now. Also, does a Cancer do that? I mean it felt like a lump at first, now it feels like a tiny piece of paper attached to the testicle by its edge and can be flipped right or left. Could it have been the tail of the epididymis that was inflamed due to some infection and now feels as such?
                  Thank you so much, guys. I would have made up countless excuses to stall a checkup, but after reading your comments, I feel it's better to get it checked as soon as possible. I appreciate the help

Comment

Yes, get an u/s that day! It could be an infection, no way of nothing without a Urologist examinging and u/s.Please update us, wishing you the best.
                    Son Grant
                    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
                    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
                    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
                    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

I got the USG done on fast track basis. Got an appointment with a Urologist today only and it turns out that I have a cyst. 0.6 cm x 0.6 cm x 0.5 cm. It mentioned something about it being less than 1 ml. I don't understand what "ml" as a unit could signify here. Volume? Anyway, the final verdict said it was a cyst near the epididymis and that NO SOLID MASS WAS SEEN. Sigh, what a relief. Thank you, guys.
                      The doctor put me on some antibiotics for a few weeks. Said it was already healing. I am so happy.

Comment

Glad to hear this. Now you can goafterthat job with a clear head!

Dave
                        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
                        X