X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigpizzaguy
    • Apr 2016

What should the testicles feel like ?

What should my testicles feel like ? They are firm and hardish, but not like bonehard, firm and a bit squishy at first but I think thats the skin etc around it
  • mcintoda
    • Nov 2016

An analogy I hear is like a hard-boiled egg (without the shell) is the normal texture/squish. What you want to do is feel for an area where it's hard or there is irregularity to it. Make sure to check all along the surface of the testicle, since when the tumor is small (and very curable) it will be on the order of 1-2 cm.

Don't check too often -- just once a month. More frequent checks can cause irritation.

For me personally, it was:
    A small half-pea that was rock hard, at the edge of surface of the testicle. It was like the pea (not rough, but smooth) was glued down to my testicle. It was really hard like a rock was the key distinguishing factor. My normal testicle has some squish to it.

-----

More info:
    https://www.testicularcancerawarenes...f-exam-how-to/
    Age 31 - Portland, OR
    01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
    13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
    27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
    06DEC16 - CT scan clear
    09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
    03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
    18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

• bigpizzaguy
      • Apr 2016

Hi,thanks for the reply, Im talking about the testicles as a whole, it doesnt feel like an egg, they both feel like ripe/unripe plums or a ball of rubber ? I take it this is too hard for them

Comment

• bigpizzaguy
        • Apr 2016

Am I supposed to apply pressure when self examaning myself ? or will rolling them gently tell me if I have a problem ?

Comment

• mcintoda
          • Nov 2016

I'll share what Ido:
          I use my index finger, middle finger and thumb and I palpate all around the entire testicle. I apply very gentle pressure . I didn't require any pressure to feel my tumor, but that may be different for other tumors.

After a shower is usually when I check.
          Age 31 - Portland, OR
          01NOV16- Pain in right testicle, palpable mass
          13NOV16- R I/O. Markers normal
          27NOV16- Stage Ia non-seminoma, 1.3cm, 100% EC, no LVI
          06DEC16 - CT scan clear
          09DEC16 - Started 1xBEP. Neutropenic at day 15; Worst part for me was bleo (allergic).
          03JAN17- Ended 1xBEP; start surveillance
          18MAR17-2nd pathology report shows 90% EC , 10% seminoma

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bigpizzaguy View Post
            What should my testicles feel like ? They are firm and hardish, but not like bonehard, firm and a bit squishy at first but I think thats the skin etc around it
            You are missing the point. The first time you check , you cannot possibly know what you are feeling. When you check again next month, you are comparing what you feel to what it felt like last time. As each month goes by, you get a better & better idea of what "normal" is and you are better prepared to notice something "abnormal". That is why monthly checks are so important.

Dave
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• bigpizzaguy
              • Apr 2016

I was just scared incase both the testicles are too hard and there is a problem, but I understand where you are comng from ?

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
                • Dec 2016

Or you feel something that definitely feels off - like in my case, it was a hard lump that unmistakably needed to be looked at...
                July 2016 - Left I/O
                December 2016 - BEPx3
                All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
                My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
                First Oncologist Visit Checklist
                Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

• Davepet
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bigpizzaguy View Post
                  I was just scared incase both the testicles are too hard and there is a problem, but I understand where you are comng from ?
                  If you are just starting to self check & are not having other problems, the odds are very good that everything is normal at this point, I would expect that the firmness varies quite a bit from individual to individual, & while some report a very hard testicle that pointed them towards treatment, this is usually only on one side. If both sides feel about the same, you likely have nothing to be concerned over. Simultaneous bilateral TC is *extremely* rare.

Dave
                  Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                  Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
                  X