Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for all the well wishes. The surgery ended up being a radical left I/O only. The frozen section was not 100% conclusive on the type of tumor, so the urologist felt better leaving the right until the full pathology report comes back. So now I am in lots of pain and waiting to get the pathology report to see if I will need to have a radical right I/O, and more pain. I love living in uncertainty.

Comment

Unfortunately, waitung & uncertainty is a large part of a cancer dx. Hang in there it does get better with time.

Dave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

A long overdue update: The full pathologist report of the left testicle indicated no carcinoma. This was verified by 2 to other pathologist. So, no testicular cancer! What they did discover was a segmental testicular infarction of unknown etymology. In other words, for some unknown reason a large (2/3) portion of my testicle lost blood flow and died. One article from NIH described the occurrence of segmental testicular infarctions as "an extremely rare entity", and that is when it is unilateral.

A follow-up US of the remaining (right) testicle indicated that the remaining "mass" that was observed in the initial US was highly suspect of also being a segmental testicular infarction (about 1/3 of the testicle is dead). So, as extremely rare as a unilateral case is, I am into the realm of the unknown and statistically improbable. Part of being in the realm of the unknown is that there is a lot more "lets monitor it and decide how to act if there are changes". Therefore, I will be having US every 3 months until my urologist(s) are satisfied. I say urologists because I now have a team of 3 that are reviewing this/following me.

There is still a possibility that I will have a second orchiectomy or a partial orchiectomy of the right side, dependent on what the next or next few US shows. I guess I technically don't belong to this community, as I am TC Free... but if you all don't mind, I will stick around to make use of the helpful information on TRT and living with one testicle (or possibly none).

Comment

good to hear its not likely the C word. I don't think its an issue at all to hang around here.
          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
          7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
          9/27/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Hey BrianM. Testicular infraction is what killed my testicle. It was also misinterpreted by radiologist and urologist as cancer (I guess they cannot really tell what causes the mass).
            I was told it happened because of “intermittent” arteritis, which is also extremely rare and no one seems to know what causes it, how to prevent it or if it can happen again.
            I too hang out here because there is really no other support forum. And I do get some support and info on living with one ball

Comment

Working...
            X