Worried even when I probably shouldn't be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apr
    • Oct 2016

Worried even when I probably shouldn't be?

Hi, so I am worrying probably about nothing, but I just need some advice. I am 18, and from the UK.
    Here is a timeline of a few events so far;
    1. I notice a very small, painless lump, on my right testicle. It is very high up, and is on the kind of left rear side of the right testicle. If there was a compass on top of my testicle with the front of the testicle facing north, the lump would be south west (sounds like a weird analogy but I couldn't think of any other way to describe it)
    2. Go to GP. Feels around, and didn't definitvely say there was something there, but sends me for ultrasound just in case.
    3. I go for my ultrasound. Now bearing in mind the lump is to the left side of my right testicle, when the ultrasound guy asked 'what side can you feel the lump,' I said right, thinking he meant which testicle, but I have a feeling he may have meant what side of the testicle, as he already knew which testicle was to be looked at.
    4. Confirms no lumps, all clear, but I can still feel a lump, so I go back to a different GP few weeks after ultrasound just to put my mind at rest, who tells me they can't feel anything, so I'm a happy bunny.
    5. Around about 1 Year and 9 months later, I still think I can feel the same original lump. Alongside this, I am feeling an annoying dull ache in my lower area, which I was 99% certain was coming from scrotum/testicle area.
    6. I go to GP about this, and he says although he can't feel the lump I'm talking about, he thinks I may have epididymitis, and prescribes a course of antibiotics.
    7. I finished this course, and thought maybe the pain had gone. This was in About October 2017.
    8. I have started experiencing the same pain in my testicle over the last month and a half, and despite all the times I've seen doctors, I still think I can feel a lump. Bearing in mind, it feels exactly the same size as when I first felt it, if not the tiniest bit smaller, but pretty much the same size. And the first time was around 2 years and 3 months ago now.

I know it sounds silly that I should still be worrying, but I'm just wondering if the ultrasound could have missed anything if I had told him to look at the wrong side of the testicle? Would it have looked the whole way through anyway and detected something on the other side of the testicle?

Any help or advice is much appreciated,
    Thank you.
  • billandtuna
    • Feb 2018

Welcome apr,
    I understand being worried, it is a natural reaction to feeling something is "off".
    It would be very unusual for an ultrasound to miss a tumor in your testicle, especially two ultrasounds. And no matter what you said about which side, they would certainly have checked both testicles - and the ultrasound does reveal all the way through the testicle. What else it might be that's causing you to feel a lump there, I don't have any great insight or ideas, but it's almost certainly not a tumor.
    Because it still worries you, I might suggest asking your GP to set up a meeting with a urologist to figure out some other possibilities.

Good luck to you, and let us know how it all turns out for you!
    Painless lump 5/18/2017
    Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
    Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
    No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

Comment

• apr
      • Oct 2016

Thanks, I'm going to be seeing GP in near future regardless, because like I mentioned I still feel a pain/ache, so we'll see what happens then. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
      X