Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg and testicle pain, size difference since birth.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg and testicle pain, size difference since birth.

Well, I'm pretty certain I have TC because everything I research points towards that. There are too many signs for it to be a coincidence. I'm 35, which is the average age for this. I had an undescended testicle at birth, which supposedly fixed itself but I know that is still a risk factor. So my left testicle has always been bigger and relative size has not changed that I've noticed but it might be hard to tell since it was always bigger. My symptoms actually started with hip/thigh pain. I spend my days in front of a computer so I thought that was the cause, a blood clot from being sedentary. That was bad enough, but then I had testicle paid for a few days. There were times when I would have a short stabbing pain previously, but nothing like this and it wasn't often. This time it was dull, but it lasted longer. Now I just seem to notice my left testicle more, if that makes any sense. There is occasional pain. I think there might be a slight burning sensation as well. It doesn't help that I still have leg pain in my hip/thigh area.

I know I just have to see a doctor, I know that's what you guys will say. I just need to get this out and really I should have just posted in the insurance section since that is my main concern. However, that don't seem fair since I don't know for sure that I have cancer. I hold out hope that I don't and it's just normal testicle pain and thrombosis. I'm not sleeping right because I'm worried about how this might effect my life. I had leg pain for over a month before I had testicle pain. Anyway, the problem is that I don't have any insurance. I have $7k in the bank and if I went to work today, it takes months to get medical coverage. I need to do something quick but if I can avoid ruining my financial situation that would be great. Yes, it's not as important as life, but it is a consideration.I'm going to apply for public healthcare but may not be approved. They want to know what all your resources are, including credit cards, so they will want me to charge the whole thing. I would just rather have those resources available for living expenses if this goes a bad direction. Honestly, I'm going to just not list any accounts and hope for the best. If that fails, I will get checked out and pay out of pocket and/or charge it.If it's cancer, maybe I can get social security, as I saw mentioned here on the forum. If not that, there is always buying from the healthcare marketplace next year when enrollment opens... It really seems that we have the worst of both worlds in America as far as healthcare goes. I worked for about 18 years with insurance and this has to hit me now....when I'm relatively broke and have no insurance. So, probably a month until I find anything out...

Sorry for the long post....I can't even sleep because I'm worried and I needed to let it out.
    Last edited by HTXJustin; 05-09-18, 06:20 AM.

Money can be a major stressor, I certainly understand, but...

GO SEE A DOCTOR. All the money in the world won't matter if you are dead in 3 years. Yes, your chances are maybe 50/50 that it is cancer (probably less). But if it is, it is going to be cheaper, easier, and faster to get it treated sooner than later. Besides, a urologist visit and ultrasound are not terribly expensive (that is what they will do at your first appt). As a cash customer you can likely negotiate it down to $2-500 for that visit. If you get a non-cancer diagnosis at this time spending that money will be well worth it as it will reduce your anxiety significantly. And if it is cancer, catching it early makes treatment significantly easier.
    6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
    6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
    7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
    7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
    10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
    10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
    4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
    4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
    3/29/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

Alright, I think I will do that. I will apply for the public coverage tomorrow and schedule with a urologist. If it is cancer, I just don't know what the next step is...how I will be able to support myself and go through this without insurance. I guess I just wanted an idea of how time sensitive this might be. The thing is, I think I also have a blood clot in my leg as there is some discomfort there and that is common with TC. That means an emergency room visit. Thank you for the response. If anyone else has anything AT ALL to add, please do,

Comment

Hey there,
        Sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time right now. After my husband was diagnosed I became an avid researcher of TC and I have to say that the symptoms you are describing don't sound like TC. You didn't mention a lump which is by far more indicative of TC than discomfort. Pain is only sometimes present with TC. Not to say it doesn't happen, just much more likely to be caused by something other than cancer. A blood clot in the leg can certainly cause pain that radiates to the testicle as well. Its great you are going to the doctor as it is the only way to know for sure whats up. I would say it is very time sensitive. If it is a blood clot those are easy to treat if detected early before it travels to the lungs and becomes very serious, very fast and if it is cancer the survival rate of cancers detected in stage 1 is nearly 100%. Some cancers go from stage 1 to stage 3 very fast and there is no what to know what it is without prompt treatment.
        I know that the finance part of it is scary and hard but you can work with it. In my experience hospitals and doctors will treat you no matter what and you can set up interest free billing to make affordable payments. Is it ideal? No. But think of how you will feel if you delay treatment due to financial concerns and it puts your life in jeopardy. In all likelihood you will be just fine so don't delay, if for no other reason than peace of mind. Best wishes to you!
        2/7/18- Husband diagnosed
        2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range
        3/12/18 Adjuvant BEPx1 started

Comment

So you are guessing that it is a blood clot or you know that there is a blood clot? A clot in the led carries a higher acute mortality risk than testicular cancer so both really need to get checked out. A scrotal ultrasound is usually fairly cheap, I have seen them done for $125. If anything, it will give you peace of mind. If indeed it is cancer then you can figure out what your options are in regard to medicaid, if you are not working and what state you are in. Or there may be ways around getting coverage via the affordable care act, for example, if you move across county or state lines, or there may be charity care at the facility. I'm not sure where you are located or I may be able to give you better options.

I really believe the first step if to be examined and then take the next steps as they come, or as necessary. Try not to be overwhelmed, I know that it is easier said than done.

Mike
          Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
          06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
          06.26.06 Left I/O
          06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
          06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
          Surveillance...
          Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
          6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

Comment

It's just hard to know where to start. If I should see an primary care physician or just go to a urologist. Do most urologist have ultrasound in house? I did find at least one that had an oncology department, maybe they would be more experienced in these matters. Anyway, thanks for the comments. I'll make it happen.
            Last edited by HTXJustin; 05-09-18, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I would say the ER due to the potential blood clot as well as the TC worry. My husband was diagnosed at the ER since he couldn't get in to see the urologist as soon as we wanted
              2/7/18- Husband diagnosed
              2/12/18- I/O- Stage 1b 99% embryonal carcinoma 1%seminoma/yolk -CT's clear -All markers in normal range
              3/12/18 Adjuvant BEPx1 started

Comment

The ER is the most expensive health care available, avoid the ER unless you will die within hours if not treated promptly. I would go to a urologist, because a primary care doc is likely to send you there anyway, might as well not pay the primary just to do a referral.

Now as far as your symptoms, Pain is rarely a symptom of TC.While it does happen, it's pretty rare, almost to the point that pain could be considered to rule out TC. I suspect that most cases of pain were just a fortunate, unrelated pain that got the guy to the doc to get diagnosed.

You would be very unusual if both testicles were the same size. I doubt there are any men who can say that. That said if one is like twice the size of the other, you might have a problem. A slight difference is normal.

I have nothing to say about the leg pain other than it is not a symptom of TC that I have ever heard of.

You know you need a doc. If you can't afford to go, find a way. Pretty sure medicaid won't require maxing your credit before they help. Credit is not an asset, it is a loan that needs to be repaid with interest. You might have to burn through the savings account, but shouldn't be required to bury yourself in high interest debt. If they do require that, just cancel any credit cards you have & you should be good.

Dave
                Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I will go to the urologist first and I will keep you all updated. I'm sure they will ultrasound and they might even ultrasound my leg/hip as part of the process. I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone. They should know a lot about the various nerves in the area as well, they might hear my symptoms and immediately have an idea of what it could be. If they find I have a blood clot then the ER is unavoidable but worth it. I really want to thank you guys for talking me out of the 3-4 week wait, I had my priorities all wrong.
                  Last edited by HTXJustin; 05-10-18, 01:59 AM.

Comment

That sounds like a good plan to get things checked out and keep us posted.

Mike
                    06.26.06 Left I/O
                    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                    Surveillance...

Comment

I applied and was approved for a sort of public healthcare coverage today. It's too slow unless I go to the emergency room, soonest clinic appointment close to me is June 27. They said to call early every morning and hope someone canceled. The emergency room will generally just stabilize, they would look at my leg MAYBE, but that's all they would do. This public option could perhaps be useful IF it turns out to be cancer but right now it is useless for me. So, the question now is if I should schedule a urologist or meet with a insurance broker for short term insurance. I'll do one of those tomorrow. If I pay for a test and it is cancer then I will likely have more that a month gap before I can get treatment trough the public option. Short term insurance could perhaps fill that gap.

To be honest, I'm becoming more convinced that it's NOT cancer though. Well, at least not as pessimistic as before. I'm from Houston Texas, since that was brought up earlier about potential options you guys might know of.

Comment

The ER should do enough to diagnose, there have been many reports on here of fellas walking into the ER complaining of testicular pain and getting ultrasounds and diagnoses on the spot.
                        6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                        6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                        7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                        7/13/15 - 9/18/15: 4xEP
                        10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                        10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                        4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                        4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                        3/29/2018 all clears up to this date!

Comment

If you go to the ER complaining of testicular pain and they don't give you a scrotal ultrasound then I would find that highly unusual and potentially negligent as they would have to rule out torsion, an emergency condition, and would need the ultrasound to do so.

In Texas, public assistance with Medicaid is basically impossible for males unless they make less than $600 a year from what I remember but I am not an expert. In the short term, paying out of pocket one way or another is most likely the reality unless there is some kind of local assistance program.

Mike
                          06.26.06 Left I/O
                          Surveillance...

Comment

Went to the ER, they told me they thought it was probably nothing serious, perhaps something with the sciatic nerve. They did some blood work, did an EKG and said everything was normal. I have to register online to see exactly what they did. They told me to fallow up with my main doctor who is scheduled for about a month and a half from now. I had little time to schedule for a urologist today after I got home, the earliest appointment I could find so far was about 10 days from now. It would be $380 for the office visit and they do CT scans, not ultrasound. No idea what the cost is. I guess I can try again Monday....it's frustrating. I should have insisted at the ER that they do something. I could always go back this weekend and wait hours in the ER again and insist they do more. I should have told them I can't sleep, I've slept 6 hours in the last 2 days.
                            Last edited by HTXJustin; 05-11-18, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Sleep finally caught up with me today, slept for 2 hours and then 9. Pain is pretty low today actually. The ER doc put in an order to expedite my PCP appointment. I can do to the ER tomorrow and possibly get an ultrasound or I will call Monday and see when that appointment is, what do you guys think? If I wait until I find out my appointment date Monday and I do find out it is still too far then I will likely go back to the ER on Monday anyway. If they don't do the tests I need then I will schedule with the expensive urologist for around the 21st. At this point I am just accepting the fact that I have few option and no way to get scanned quickly. It's been weeks, what is a few days now. I hope it's not torsion. I think it's related to the leg pain, which came first, so I'm thinking it's not torsion. I still need to see a urologist eventually though, I did have a shooting pain in my penis once or twice during this. Sorry if my updates have mainly been rambling about health coverage rather than results, I wish this wasn't the case.

Comment

Working...
                              X