Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So confused

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So confused

    Sorry this is going to be long... My husband found a lump a few months ago (he says it has not changed in size or shape) and he mentioned it to his GP during his annual physical back in May. The GP could not find it without my husband finding it first. Doctor said it was really small and was likely just a cyst but ordered a US just to be safe. We did not hear anything for over a month so we thought everything was fine. Then the GP emailed at 10pm one night to say there was a 6mm mass that "appeared" to be solid so my husband should see a urologist for a biopsy in the next 1-2 weeks. We saw the urologist last week and after reviewing the US and exam (he also could not find it on his own) he said it was just a cyst on the surface. He did order a follow US for this week because he did not like the way the report was written and he wants the new US done in his building by people he knows. The urologist also ordered labs for tumor markers (they emailed us that they were all normal). If it is suspicious for cancer I don't think we should continue waiting since the lump has already been there so long even though it hasn't changed. Any advice? His LDH was 146, AF 5, and HCG was less than 1.
    Last edited by keithswife; 07-10-18, 12:20 PM.

  • #2
    Based on what is known at this point, I'd say a second U/S is a good idea, but I would not expect anything serious to turn up. I would, however consider changing to a primary care doc that gets results back more quickly. Waiting a month for U/S results would be unacceptable to me.

    Dave
    Last edited by Davepet; 07-10-18, 02:43 PM.
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

    Comment


    • #3
      If the US results were inconclusive, which they sound like they may have been, then I would have no issues waiting and repeating the US in 6-8 weeks. Especially, if I knew that my tumor markers are negative. Waiting would not be expected to affect outcomes at all and at 6 mm the mass is pretty small. Giving it a bit of time to see if it increases in size is something that I would be comfortable to be done to me.

      MIke
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

      For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you for the responses. The followup U/S is tomorrow. I'm just so nervous that it's cancer and it's been there so long.

        Comment


        • #5
          keithswife,
          In the world of TC, it really has not been there very long at all. Even if it is determined to be TC, it is very small & discovered very early, so take a deep breath.

          These days even fairly advanced cases are curable, but based on the tests so far, I will be very surprised if it is TC. Take one step at a time & soon you will know what's going on & how to deal with it.

          Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

          Comment


          • #6
            So, the follow U/S report noted a 5.9x5.7x6.3mm hypoechoic mass, which has not changed since the middle of May. The urologist said we are just going to keep an eye on it because it is on the surface of the testicle and does not feel hard. He even had another doctor come in to exam it because I seemed uncertain with the wait and see approach. the other doctor was also not concerned after the exam and reviewing the U/S pictures and report. It just seems to me that if there is any chance it was cancer it would be better to just remove it now instead of waiting.
            Last edited by keithswife; 07-13-18, 05:21 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by keithswife View Post
              So, the follow U/S report noted a 5.9x5.7x6.3mm hypoechoic mass, which has not changed since the middle of May. The urologist said we are just going to keep an eye on it because it is on the surface of the testicle and does not feel hard. He even had another doctor come in to exam it because I seemed uncertain with the wait and see approach. the other doctor was also not concerned after the exam and reviewing the U/S pictures and report. It just seems to me that if there is any chance it was cancer it would be better to just remove it now instead of waiting.

              I've never really seen a U/S report in tents of a mm so at first I thought it was saying cm and was nervous. Did they have any options on what it could be? An infarct or a hemorrhage, anything?

              At 6.3 mm it really is pretty small and might not be easy characterized with ultrasound. Did they mention that they wanted to follow up with an US and when?

              Mike
              Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
              06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
              06.26.06 Left I/O
              06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
              06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
              Surveillance...
              Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
              6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

              For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by keithswife View Post
                So, the follow U/S report noted a 5.9x5.7x6.3mm hypoechoic mass, which has not changed since the middle of May. The urologist said we are just going to keep an eye on it because it is on the surface of the testicle and does not feel hard. He even had another doctor come in to exam it because I seemed uncertain with the wait and see approach. the other doctor was also not concerned after the exam and reviewing the U/S pictures and report. It just seems to me that if there is any chance it was cancer it would be better to just remove it now instead of waiting.

                I've never really seen a U/S report in tenths of a mm so at first I thought it was saying cm and was nervous. Did they have any options on what it could be? An infarct or a hemorrhage, anything?

                At 6.3 mm it really is pretty small and might not be easy characterized with ultrasound. Did they mention that they wanted to follow up with an US and when?

                Mike
                Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                06.26.06 Left I/O
                06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                Surveillance...
                Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

                For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

                Comment


                • #9
                  They seemed to think it was a specific type of cyst due to it being on the surface. Follow up in 2-3 months for another U/S sooner if he noticed any changes.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X