Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions... already seeing urologist

33/yo white male.

1. I first noticed a bump on the backside of my right T in 2011 when I was exiting the military. I had the doctor evaluate it and he sent me on my way.

2. In 2013 I noticed it was bigger, so I went to the VA hospital and had it looked at. The US indicated I had bilateral hydrocele.

The report from that US said:

"History of right testicular mass. The right testicle measures 4.9 x 2.6 x 3.7 cm in the left 5.0 x 2.5 cm both with blood flow. There is homogeneous echotexture on the left and slightly heterogeneous echotexture on the right and patient reports unknown medical difficulty with the right testicle in childhood. There are small bilateral hydroceles. Small scrotal pearl on the right. The right epididymis measures 1.2 x 0.9 x 0.9 cm and the left 1.1 x 0.7 x 0.9 cm. There is thickening of the right epididymal tail, site where the patient feels a mass and this measures 4 mm.
    Slightly heterogeneous right testicle. Small bilateral hydroceles. Slightly thickened right epididymal tail corresponding to site palpated by the patient.
    Primary Diagnostic Code: ABNORMALITY, ATTN. NEEDED"
    [the "pearl" referenced is on top of epididymal head, and I have had that since childhood. What I'm feeling is distinctly separate from that, and begins near the Rete testis. However it does extend up to the top of the epididymal head, and I can turn it about 45 degree... but it definitely feels like it's attached to the Rete area and will not move, but can be moved around.]

3. I never received this report indicating an abnormality and that I needed to do further action. I was told on the phone and by the report I did receive that it was not a concern. It was a follow-on report that was generated weeks after the initial report was sent to me.

4. Fast forward to 2018, I have noticed it has gotten bigger. It feels like a solid oval attached (or not, I can't really tell, or to what) near the Rete testis. It's about 2.5cm long and 1cm wide. I can squeeze both ends of it to get a rip on it and keep it in place, but only when trying to do it from North-South. It feels more narrow like a worm maybe when grabbing it from the sides, and seems to end in the testicle, or something connected to it..

5. I had another US done in July 2018, and a follow-up at the end of August. The Nurse Practitioner noticed this bump, but the US did not indicate anything other than hydrocele. They did not notice "thickening of the epididymal tail as the last report had shown.

----But there is definitely something there, I felt and it and she did.---

6. The NP believes it is the hydrocele causing this feeling, but it feels solid, like there are things going into/out of the actual testicle. I have a follow-up scheduled for next Friday, and I am going to request to speak to the doctor this time.

Note: I had a Pelvic/abdomen CT done for another issue last February and it indicated right-sided hydrocele. I was having bad IBS, unexplained lower back pain, and neurological symptoms (maybe related to anxiety about the other symptoms -- like tingling in my right ear, right shoulder, and left cheek). The CT did not detect anything else of significance.

The urologist I am now seeing tested my urine after the CT scan, and after it cultured she called me to tell me I had a Strep B infection of my prostate, and that she suspected that was what was causing my lower back issues, as well as urinary symptoms. I took antibiotics, and it seemed to help, but a month after taking them I am having the same issues. Prostate inflammation regularly (especially when IBS or constipation is happening). And my bladder fully empties, however I have to urinate again multiple times while sitting on the toilet, even after just fully emptying my bladder minutes before a bowel movement.

I also have trace amts of blood in urine.

I am not in any pain.

Has anyone had any kind of similar experience? I am doing what I need to in order to figure this out, but I can't stop stressing. I'm constantly feeling it (it has become an OCD thing the past few weeks, but I have been doing it for a long time -- not as much, but often when my hand is in my pants on the couch -- since about 2013 when I noticed it getting bigger).

Would like to hear any thoughts. I know this is long, so I appreciate anything anyone can say in response.

Recap: 2 ultrasounds, 1 CT scan (unrelated but detected hydrocele), prostate infection, lower back pain and urinary frequency, tons of anxiety and OCD feeling the spot, and a very stressed out Mike.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Mike_H; 09-14-18, 01:48 AM.

Nope its prefectly normal to freak out and be OCD about it. But, if it was cancer you would have already know by now TC doesnt sit around that long and do nothing. Which VA is treating/caring for you.
    So now you need to stop having OCD about it, its highly unlikely to be TC to the point i will say its not. But you need to be the pain in the ass patient with the VA and bug them to the point that they will treat you and fix it to make you go away. I know i deal with the VA for almost all of my care, what they csnt or wont do they fee base me out to the doctor of my choice. So if you csn get them to fee base that care out. I highly suggest you go to the PUR clinic, yes the VA will pay for it. Dr paraktil (sp) is world renowned for urology related issues. People come from everywher for his help. You can google them Just search the pur clinic.
    It is not in your best interest to keep checking it. Leave it alone and only check it once a month and get it tsken care of now before it gets worse and you lose your nut.
    Last edited by eodtech2001; 09-13-18, 09:41 PM.
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Originally posted by eodtech2001 View Post
      Nope its prefectly normal to freak out and be OCD about it. But, if it was cancer you would have already know by now TC doesnt sit around that long and do nothing. Which VA is treating/caring for you.
      So now you need to stop having OCD about it, its highly unlikely to be TC to the point i will say its not. But you need to be the pain in the ass patient with the VA and bug them to the point that they will treat you and fix it to make you go away. I know i deal with the VA for almost all of my care, what they csnt or wont do they fee base me out to the doctor of my choice. So if you csn get them to fee base that care out. I highly suggest you go to the PUR clinic, yes the VA will pay for it. Dr paraktil (sp) is world renowned for urology related issues. People come from everywher for his help. You can google them Just search the pur clinic.
      It is not in your best interest to keep checking it. Leave it alone and only check it once a month and get it tsken care of now before it gets worse and you lose your nut.
      Sorry, my current care is through a Urology clinic, no longer at the VA.

I'm planning on insisting on some kind of treatment next Friday at my follow-up appointment. What are my options?

Comment

I am not a doctor so i am not comfortable giving out advice on what your options would be. But if you do a internet search for hydrocele treatment options. You will have some idea of what you may be looking at treatment wise.
        Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
        Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
        Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
        Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
        April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
        May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
        August 7th 2012- BEP complete
        April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
        May 2013 RPLND
        Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
        Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
        Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
        Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
        Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
        Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
        Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
        Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

Originally posted by eodtech2001 View Post
          I am not a doctor so i am not comfortable giving out advice on what your options would be. But if you do a internet search for hydrocele treatment options. You will have some idea of what you may be looking at treatment wise.
          Thanks, I guess my big concern is that it wasn't TC, at least initially, but that something else is happening now. It feels different. There are like weird feeling nodules as well, like 3 total, including the collection of whatever is along the backside near the RT.

One is like underneath/in front of the epipidymal head, but on the opposite side (front side). It also feels like it's coming from the testicle.

The second is on the bottom of it, on the outer side like the first one. When I put it between my fingers I can feel like another piece of skin coming out? Or fluid maybe. I think it actually connects to the top one, as weird as that sounds. There's like a very thin connection, but I can follow it up to the top one. It's also tender if I squeeze at the base.

The third one is the backside and it feels like it is attached to a coord that runs all the way down the backside, but I can't be sure. I can move it around like I said above. But it does feel like it goes directly into the testicle.

Is it possible my entire testicle is a tumor and these are three places where I can feel it breaking through? Or does a hydrocele connect to the testis lining and make it feel like something is coming out of it?

I have a bilateral hydrocele I'm told, and I feel none of these things on the other testicle.

I'm just hoping someone here has gone through something similar and can relate so I can try to get some peace of mind until next week. To this point, though, the NP has been really dismissive of this just because of the amount of time that has lapsed. But it has significantly gotten bigger/there are more things happening now than in 2013.
          Last edited by Mike_H; 09-14-18, 12:51 AM.

Comment

You could ask if a follow up ultrasound or a second opinion is advisable if they do not have a reason for what you are feeling or if it has changed/worsened.

Mike
            Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
            06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
            06.26.06 Left I/O
            06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
            06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
            Surveillance...
            Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
            6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

I had a number of cysts around my remaining teste. ‘Multi-focal’ as several US noted. Over time it changed, new ones developed, some got bigger. 6 months ago, the collection was almost the size of a grapefruit, so I had surgery. Back to ‘cutie’ size. Gee, that's three surgeries about balls, vasectomy, IO, cyst-ectomy (don't know what that should be called...)

Keep bugging the urologists, but you likely do not need to worry about TC. My TC was rock hard, not fleshy hard.

Comment

I should add another note that I found interesting. Doc said that since the testes drop down out of the abdomen they can bring down other assorted abdominal material with them, which in turn can be the source of cysts or nodules.

Comment

Originally posted by HouTex View Post
                  I should add another note that I found interesting. Doc said that since the testes drop down out of the abdomen they can bring down other assorted abdominal material with them, which in turn can be the source of cysts or nodules.
                  Thanks Hou. I'm sorry that all sounds like an ordeal man. Sounds like you have been through the ringer. Hope everything's going well for ya now.

The bigger object/thing that feels like it's attached to the RT is pretty firm. I'm just concerned because I can't decipher whether the things I'm feeling are attached or not, and it's probably because the hydrocele is making it difficult, maybe? That's also my concern about the US, that they are seeing the hydrocele and that it's masking what I'm feeling, because the cyst isn't showing up on those USs--even though both the NP and I can feel it.

I have read that Hydrocele is a symptom of something, so maybe I had an infection or epididmy**** that was undiagnosed? I just don't remember ever having pain down there. Although I have had prostate infections (and a UTI or 2) and urinary symptoms for a few years.

Appreciate the comments.

Comment

It is highly unlikely that multiple U/S would miss a solid tumor. You have a problem, but it iis unlikely to be TC.

Dave
                    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
                    X