Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlarged testicle—> hydrocele

Hi guys

I just want to share my story

6 months ago, i noticed one of my testicles is more than double the size of the other. Both have the same shape the difference only in the size. I did not worry about it at that time. I decided to wait for that day when i wake up and see no enlargement (bad decision 😆). 2 weeks ago i started googling more and more and I thought i had either a testicular cancer or hydrocele. I started panicking since it was not that soft. Then, i went to see a GP. He referred me to do an ultrasound urgently. At that point, the panic reached tha max and i started having difficulty to sleep. Today, i did the ultrasound. The urologist told me that it is just a hydrocele around the testicle. I’m relived. He gave me to choices : 1- leave it or 2- operation. I told him about draining it. He said i can but it may come back. I decided to drain it and if it comes back i will go for the operation.
    My advice to any one feeling any abnormality is to go and get checked out

BTW, does any one have any previous experience with the hydrocele thing ?

Thanks for sharing your story and I am glad that you got things checked out. A great point that even if the ultrasound doesn't indicate a possible cancerous mass that just having the results of other causes of symptoms can provide great peace of mind.

I do not have experience with a hydrocele but if issues do not resolve for you then never hesitate to follow back up. This is not meant to make you anxious but more to inform others in that a hydrocele can sometimes hide small testicular masses. Now there are way more hydroceles than testicular masses but I mention this as sometimes guys get the hydrocele result and when symptoms do not resolve, never get back in to get checked out for a long time, when the issue was a testicular mass but it was hidden by the hydrocele on the ultrasound.

Mike
    Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
    06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
    06.26.06 Left I/O
    06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
    06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
    Surveillance...
    Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
    6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Thanks for sharing your story and I am glad that you got things checked out. A great point that even if the ultrasound doesn't indicate a possible cancerous mass that just having the results of other causes of symptoms can provide great peace of mind.

I do not have experience with a hydrocele but if issues do not resolve for you then never hesitate to follow back up. This is not meant to make you anxious but more to inform others in that a hydrocele can sometimes hide small testicular masses. Now there are way more hydroceles than testicular masses but I mention this as sometimes guys get the hydrocele result and when symptoms do not resolve, never get back in to get checked out for a long time, when the issue was a testicular mass but it was hidden by the hydrocele on the ultrasound.

Mike
      Hey Mike 👋

The doctor recommended me to leave it as it is not causing any discomfort and I decided to do so. This means there is no way to know about TC if the fluid will hide the tumour in ultrasounds

Comment

Make sure you follow your doctors recommendations. Did he say anything about keeping an eye on it or doing regular ultrasounds?

The reason I ask is, I was diagnosed about 12 years ago with a hydrocele, similar situation where my right testicle was twice the size of my left. I think there was more than just the hydrocele, I remember him saying something about white spots/dots or something to that effect, he maybe even used the term pre-cancerous, but I honestly can’t remember.

I just know after doing a couple of follow up ultrasounds, I blew it off and here I am years later with stage 3 seminoma.

I have no idea if my situation years ago is even related to seminoma today, that’s a pretty long time. But my point is, something wasn’t right and I let my fear and discomfort override doing what the doctor suggested. Had I followed his recommendations and continued to follow up with regular ultrasounds, maybe I would have caught this sooner and avoided chemo, related or not.
        March/April 2018 - Started feeling tightness in right abdomen
        6/4/18 - US+CT confirm massive tumor in right retroperitoneum (25cm x 17cm x 17cm)
        6/20/18 - Biopsy performed (suspecting sarcoma)
        6/25/18 - Diagnosed stage IIIC seminoma
        6/28/18 - Started 4xEP
        9/7/18- Finished 4xEP
        10/10/18 - PET Scan (awaiting results)

Comment

10 years out from RO and seminoma, I had developed a collection of cysts, 'celes, and other globules around righty. At least 5 different structures in there. Bag of marbles.

To the point where it was difficult to even find the right testicle. And the bag was the size of a large orange and very uncomfortable. So, I had a HYDROCELECTOMY+SPERMATOCELECTOMY+CYSTECTOMY.

Simple surgery. Recovery easy. And much relief.

Ultrasound of the area concluded multi-focal cysts and spermacele. No findings concerning the testicle. So, it seems to me that these structures are separate enough from the actual testicle that they won't hide anything.

Testicular cancer is in the testicle, and while these cyst like things can lead to other complications or annoyances, they don't lead to TC. (Some of them can even be due to odd material pulled out of the abdomen as the testicles grew and descended).

But as many have said, get it checked out.

Comment

Working...
          X