Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can 2 ultrasounds miss this?

Good day to you

a month ago a hard rice sized lump showed up.Not near the epididymis.Went to 1 urologist he says ultrasound is very clear,the testicle is homogenic.And i am like what???I clearly feel a hard lump.So i go to another one.He does a more extensive check up,feels it a bit longer .Even before he checks it with the US he says that it will not show up.And it doesnt.He said it is not a hemorrhage ,so i guess he used doppler sonography too.He also said that it is nothing serious since it cant be seen on US.I still cant explain to myself how such a lump(like 2-3 mm) does not show up on US.Has this happened to anyone before?Best wishes

If its primary care doctor, they are pretty much clueless as to what or how to go about symptom run downs.
    But if you have had 2 US and botj came back negative for a tumor you are good.
    Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
    Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
    Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
    Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
    April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
    May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
    August 7th 2012- BEP complete
    April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
    May 2013 RPLND
    Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
    Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
    Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
    Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
    Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
    Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

A scrotal ultrasound is really the best test for detecting suspicious masses in the testicles. MRI can also be used but I believe it is rare for the results to differ from the US as far as testicular cancers go, especially given that the US is seeing nothing. You can always get a third opinion with looking at the previous two US images or even a third US. However, if it were me, I would give it some time (4-6 weeks) and to see if things resolve and if not then go back in if I am still having issues. If something progresses rapidly then I would go sooner but at 2-3 mm it is really small. I suppose they could do tumor marker labs (AFP, b-hCG, LDH) but again, with the US seeing nothing I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point but would keep an eye on things.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

I'd be real curious if the rice lump you feel is free floating in the sack, or perhaps attached to the inside of the scrotum. Can you move it? Is it raised enough on the testicle that you can grab it? It could just be a tissue irregularity or a small cyst filled with fluid, but I would assume they could detect that and tell you what it was. If you do opt for a third US, you could probably show the tech your area of concern, have them repeatedly go over the spot, and either get them to comment on it, or have the radiologist examine that part of the test particularly to see if they can see a cyst or a mass. My US picked up a 2mm tumor hiding at the bottom near the tubes though, so I would hope you could see something that small in yours and identify it.
        Dx: 10/4/10
        Blood Results for tumor markers came back Normal.
        Surgery/ Left I/O: 10/26/10
        11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
        11/3/10 - CT scan of Pelvis and Chest is clear, no abnormalities.
        11/18/10- Surveillance
        10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Thank you for the repllies.Today in a couple of hours i have appointment for US.The lump is in the outer most layer of the testicle and goes deeper in it.I guess when 2 US have not caught it the 3rd wont either.So it is probably nothing but still its better to be sure.I think i already have a cyst in both testes from a previous visit to the urologist.So i am probably prone to develop such lumps.

Comment

I have a very similar type of lump like you're describing, Gogtj. How did your appointment go? Mine is next week.

Comment

Working...
            X