X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radz101
    • Oct 2019

Surgery tomorrow - possibile orchiectomy

Hi all. First post here. Just want to say this community is great and I have found a lot of helpful information. Here's my situation:

Was at the gym and I hurt myself doing a deadlift. Felt a pull in my groin on my right side. Went to doctor, checked me all over and ordered an ultrasound (he's a thorough doctor). Calls me a couple days later and says the right side is fine, but they scanned my left testicle also and they found 2 nodules inside the testicle (I've checked myself lots of times and never felt anything). Sends me to a Urologist. Urologist does bloodwork and another ultrasound. Bloodwork came back normal but he said I have 2 tumours about 1cm each. He cannot tell if its TC or just an abnormality. Schedules surgery for me (which is tomorrow). He said to me they are going to do an inguinal exploration, basically remove my testicle and do an ultrasound in the operating room. If still he cannot tell what's happening they are going to do a quick section and have a pathologist review right away. Based on what the pathologist says, he will decide it they will remove the testicle or put everything back and close me up. He also did another ultrasound last Friday as he wanted to see if the tumours shrunk (as he would cancel the surgery if they did). Ultrasound came back with the tumours the same size (on all 3 scans). This happened very quickly and of course has me freaked out.

Anyone else with a similar experience? The surgery doesn't worry me, but I've never had surgery and for some reason going under general anaesthetic has me a bit freaked out as someones going to be turning off the lights and I really have no control over the situation. I do feel that I did luck out cause if I didn't injure myself this wouldn't have been found. I have had trauma to my groin before when I was younger.

Thanks for advance on any advice!
  • billandtuna
    • Feb 2018

Hi Radz!
    Wow, that's gotta have your head spinning...
    I don't have any particular insight on the situation, just wanted to wish you well!
    Painless lump 5/18/2017
    Orchidectomy June 2017 (4.5cm, rete testis involvement)
    Chemo Summer 2017 (2x7AUC carboplatin)
    No evidence of relapse since, but plenty of anxiety about it.

I'm also an epidemiologist, and a professor at a medical school (with NO training in oncology), oh, and gay, too.

Comment

• biwi
      • Jun 2015

I can tell you there have been a number of folks diagnosed via ultrasound after sports injuries. There have been a number of folks posting here with similar paths to diagnosis. The approach mentioned by your docs seems prudent. If it is cancer, you definitely want it out.

In the grand scheme of surgeries the orchie isn't particularly bad. The only bad time I ever had with general was with my wisdom teeth, man I was crazy loopy when I came to after that. But since then I have had two leg surgeries, my orchiectomy, and an RPLND, and the anaesthesia wasn't bad with any of those.
      6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
      6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
      7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
      7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
      10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
      10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
      4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
      4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
      10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
      4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• CORYZ5
        • Oct 2019

Hi radz,
        I did not find my lumps after injury, but did have multiple masses. I had surgery 1 week ago and I just posted my final biopsy results here this morning. One was 1.2 cm and the other was 1.0 cm, both ended up being classic seminoma.

My surgery experience was good, it was my first one and other than being groggy and a little nauseated It went smooth. It was outpatient and I was home and I my own bed that night.

Sending good vibes for surgery and speedy recovery!

Comment

• eodtech2001
          • Feb 2012

You will have 1 hell of a nap is what i like to say about surgery. You will wake up refreshed, well i do anyways.
          As for the procedure be thankful that you doctor is going to such lengths to save your nut.
          But if it is cancerous you will just be left with a half empty change purse and your other nut should be able to pick up the slack. So enjoy the drug induced nap.
          Jan 2012- U/S mass in Left testicle
          Feb 2012- I/O performed to remove cancer
          Mar 1,2012- pathology pure seminoma
          Mar 7, 2012 PET SCAN stage IIa
          April 2012 Mayo clinic carbolite.
          May 2012 carbolite failed, started BEP x3
          August 7th 2012- BEP complete
          April 2013 CT/PET show relapse
          May 2013 RPLND
          Aug 2013 Relapse again Started VIeP x2
          Oct 2013 HDC AUTOLOGOUS
          Dec 2013 HDC completed CT/PETSCAN 1.1 cm x .8 cm right lower lung lobe
          Feb 2014 confirmed false positive all clear FINALLY !
          Jan 2015 1 year cancer free Pet/CT scan
          Jan 2016 2 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
          Jan 2017 3 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan
          Jab 2018 4 years cancer free "Pet/CT scan, labs, xrays

Comment

• radz101
            • Oct 2019

Thanks everyone. Surgery was pretty quick. Section revealed seminoma and my testicle was removed. Doctor feels it was encapsulated but its now out for testing. Really sore today, so taking meds and relaxing. Follow up in a few weeks for next steps.

Comment

• JoeTheAstronaut
              • Dec 2016

Take it easy, man!! Hopefully you'll be up and about soon
              July 2016 - Left I/O
              December 2016 - BEPx3
              All clear for 2.5 years now + new baby!

Simplify Cancer: Man's Guide to Navigating the Everyday Reality of Cancer
              My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
              First Oncologist Visit Checklist
              Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Working...
              X