X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about testicular cancer

Well, ever since I was a freshman in high school (I'm a senior now) I've been checking myself but I wouldn't really feel the testicles much.

Today, I felt something a bit hard on the top. I feel it more on the right than the left testicle but it does not hurt. I was wondering if it's normal or if it should ALL feel soft. Should I tell my parents and go to the doctor?

I haven't been having any complications although I do feel back pains from time to time and sometimes I get shortness of breath/chest pains although I blame that on my gastritis since after I burp, the chest pains go away.

EDIT: I was thinking maybe I was just grabbing the top where the epididymis connects because I can hardly find it unless I grab them from the top and bottom...

Hi Rasic,
    Firstly, congratulations on having the courage to find out more about this as soon as you got concerned. This forum is full of people who tried to ignore their initial concerns (me included). As you felt you had to write on this forum, that tells me that you are worried enough to need some answers, if only for piece of mind.

The best advice I can give you is to make an appointment to see your doctor. If they think there is anything to worry about, they should order an ultrasound of the testicle (the same thing used on pregnant women to scan the baby), and this should tell if anything going on.

I'm sure someone else will jump in if they think i've missed anything.

By the way, as this is the young persons section, how old are you?

All the best.
    Right orchidectomy for Stage 1 Seminoma - Feb '06,
    1x Carboplatin May '06,
    Left Testicle biopsy - May '09
    Intratubular germ cell neoplasia - June '09
    Left orchidectomy - Aug '09
    All Clear - Sept '09
    TRT - ongoing
    7 Years ALL CLEAR - Jan '13
    www.checkemlads.com south western UK director

Comment

just to be safe I would see a doc. Even if it's for peace of mind. I too am one that ignored my worrys and 6 months later was hit with the news. My lump was about the size of a pea when I first found it. then I couldn't find it again but the testical still seemed heavy. It may be something it may be nothing but with tc it's best to play it safe good luck keep us posted.
      Brian

3/29/10 went to ER pain and swelling in testie
      4/07/10 found out about tc
      4/12/10 L i/o 1.3x1.3x1.9 teratoma, chorio
      5/3/10 start 3x BEP
      5/24/10 switch to 4xep off bleo do to lung clots
      7/9/10 end of chemo
      1/1/11 off the blood thinners
      10/11 year and 3 months clear

Comment

I doubt that you have TC, but since it's a concern, go see a doctor. Get your parents involved. Presumably you detected something unusual while doing a routine monthly self-exam, just like you learned about in Health class. Or whatever. Your parents will understand. May even be happy you weren't sleeping or texting in class. My kids are your age. I would understand and help make an appointment. Of course, given my own experience, we might be waiting at the doctor's office when it opened in the morning. But I doubt you need to panic.
        "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
        Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

Ultrasound is your best bet

Hi,

Yes, go to the doctor, but get an ultrasound as well.

Cheers,

RV

Aug 07 - Stage 1 - Pure seminoma - Right orchidectomy + surveillance
          May 09 - Stage 2a - 1 cm node in para-aortic region
          June 09 - 20 X RT (25Gy to full lymphs, extra 10 Gy to node)
          Sept 09 - All Clear
          Mar 10 - All Clear
          Jul 10 - All Clear
          Nov 10 - All Clear
          Aug 11 - All Clear
          Feb 12 - All Clear
          Dec 12 - All Clear
          Dec 13 - All Clear

Comment

Originally posted by Rasic View Post
            Well, ever since I was a freshman in high school (I'm a senior now) I've been checking myself but I wouldn't really feel the testicles much.

Today, I felt something a bit hard on the top. I feel it more on the right than the left testicle but it does not hurt. I was wondering if it's normal or if it should ALL feel soft. Should I tell my parents and go to the doctor?

I haven't been having any complications although I do feel back pains from time to time and sometimes I get shortness of breath/chest pains although I blame that on my gastritis since after I burp, the chest pains go away.

EDIT: I was thinking maybe I was just grabbing the top where the epididymis connects because I can hardly find it unless I grab them from the top and bottom...

You should definitely talk to your parents and see a doctor. My son waited 2 months to talk to me because he was embarrassed.
            Son Diagnosed 6/24/10
            Right I/O 6/28/10
            (65% Teratoma, 10% EC, 10% Yolk Sac, 10% Seminoma, 5% Choriocarcinoma)
            3XBEP 8/10-10/10
            RPLND 11/2/11 (cyst in right pelvic area was mature teratoma and lymph nodes were clear)

Comment

Thanks well, I think it might have be like a muscle or something because it's kind of hard to find it but it is on the top almost makes the testicle feel pointy like the top of a pinky but I lift weights so I thought it might've been that. It would hurt a bit, hardly at all but it doesnt feel heavy or anything like that.

I'm 17 by the way. I talked to my mom about it, I told her that if it doesn't stop hurting I'll go to the doctor sometime this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasic View Post
                Thanks well, I think it might have be like a muscle or something because it's kind of hard to find it but it is on the top almost makes the testicle feel pointy like the top of a pinky but I lift weights so I thought it might've been that. It would hurt a bit, hardly at all but it doesnt feel heavy or anything like that.

I'm 17 by the way. I talked to my mom about it, I told her that if it doesn't stop hurting I'll go to the doctor sometime this week.
                I got hit by a street hockey ball (no pun) 2 months before discovering it. When I did discover something was wrong (no symptoms besides a shrinking/hardening left testicle and eventually a hard bump) I convinced myself for 2-3 weeks that it was still trauma from that hit. Coincidentally, I already had an appointment set for a vasectomy consult which was pushed off the agenda very quickly (the vasectomy, not the appointment).

All to say, even though it is probably, almost for sure, not cancer... don't put it off.
                Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
                Left I/O 11/25/08
                Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
                Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

Working...
                X