Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm worried

Hello,
    I am 14 years old an I only have one testicle because when I was born one of them did not descend so I had it removed. I am afraid that if I get testicular cancer in my remaining testicle, that it will have to be removed and I will not be able to have children in my future. Could someone please tell me the symptoms and the chances of getting TC. It would make me happier if I knew more information.
    Most importantly if I do get testicular cancer in my remaining testicle, would it be impossible or me to have children?
    Please can someone answer my questions and thank you in advanced.

The most common presentation of testicular cancer would be a lump on your testicle that you would feel during a self-exam. Given your medical history, it would be a good idea for you to do self exams regularly, and to talk to your family doctor about your medical history, and have him do a testicular exam at your annual physical. Your doctor can also give you and your parents some information about testicular cancer that might help you understand it and know what to look for.
    You can find information on how to do a self exam here: http://www.tc-cancer.com/about/self-exam.html

Being knowledgeable about what to look for is the best defense, but in the meantime, calm down, and enjoy being fourteen! No reason to make yourself crazy with worry about something that, statistically, will probably never, ever happen.

Best wishes,
    Kat
    sigpic_______________________________________________
    Caregiver
    DX 5/15/09
    Left orchiectomy 5/22/09
    60% embryonal, 40% seminoma, w/ VI, LI, T2 (CS-IB)
    CTs clear, X-rays clear, blood markers normal
    L-RPLND 7/14/09, San Antonio
    3 nodes positive, 100% embryonal, N1 (PS-IIA)
    2 rounds BEP August 24, 2009, Austin
    Enlarged lymph nodes Oct 09, Dec 09, Jan 10, Apr 10
    All clear 10/01/10

Comment

Thank you

Thanks Kat.
      My only question is that if I did get the cancer in my remaining testicle would it be possible for me to still have children in the future or woul the testicle have to be removed making me infertile?
      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzer789 View Post
        My only question is that if I did get the cancer in my remaining testicle would it be possible for me to still have children in the future or woul the testicle have to be removed making me infertile?
        Since you need to have at least one testicle to produce sperm, you'd want to bank sperm before the second testicle was removed.
        Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you Scott and Kat.
          I'm much more relaxed now and I'm not worried!
          Thanks again for your help!!

Comment

Working...
          X