X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've decided to take the next step.

Hello everyone, I've decided to take the next step and get checked. I've told both of my parents about it and they've agreed that I should get it checked out as soon as possible. From the age of about 12 I noticed lumps on my testicles. I'm currently 17 and all my physicals during the past years have always been verbal, nothing more. I have worried about it being cancer for quite some time, I've just never had any will to find out for sure. Today, I'm taking a huge step, one that I'm honestly not comfortable about doing and actually going to get checked. I don't have a fear of death if it is in fact cancer and it's too far along that they can't stop it. I don't have a fear of anything really other than not being able to have children or anything of the sort. I've came to ask what I should expect during the examination, what questions I should ask, what I should do in preparation if anything?

Thanks for the help,
    Selorex.

Mate - if there is something that that you have a question on then its best that you have it checked out.

Have the bumps changed or grown at all?

Excellent that you are aware of your body and taking this step.

Cheers
    >>>>>>>>>
    TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
    TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
      Mate - if there is something that that you have a question on then its best that you have it checked out.

Have the bumps changed or grown at all?

Excellent that you are aware of your body and taking this step.

Cheers
      The lumps have grown. The one on my left testicle is about the size of a pea, but a bit bigger. The one on my right testicle seems to run alongside of it and down to the very bottom. It started at the top right side of the testicle, but now it's grown to the bottom half. I've known about it since I was twelve, but I never had the courage to get checked out.
      Last edited by Selorex; 03-27-13, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Selorex View Post
        I never had the courage to get checked out.
        Even at 39 I felt weird about having to go into the doctors to have them check. But it was no different then going to the doctors for the pre-sports check in school... just no turning your head and coughing..

Good to know you are going to get it checked.. better safe. Good news is these forums are a wealth of information and everyone is here to help you in the journey.
        -----------------
        11/08/2012 - bHCG: 21 LD: 748 AFP: 1.6
        11/12/2012 - CT Scan: No enlarged lymph nodes in the abdomen or pelvis (lymph is < .9cm)
        11/13/2012 - Left Radical Orchiectomy 90% Embryonal Carcinoma & 10% Seminoma.
        11/21/2012 - bHCG: <3 LD 627 AFP: 2.5
        01/09/2013 - CT Scan: Suspect Lymph Node is now 1.6 cm
        01/23/2013 - RPLND - 32 lymph nodes removed, 1 confirmed. 8 hour
        02/15/2013 - bHCG: 517 LD: 569 AFP: 3.7 - nodules and lymph enlargement in lungs
        02/22/2013 - bHCG: 522 LD: 550 AFP: 7.2
        03/29/2013 - Round one of BEP done.. X-Ray shows no nodules in lungs.

Comment

Thank you. I'm just not sure why, but I'm not as nervous as I guess I should be. I don't know what's wrong with me, I guess It just hasn't hit me yet? I feel as though if I do find out that I've got cancer, the only thing that is going to kill me is if I find out I can't have children in the future. That will demolish me.

Are there any questions or anything of the sort I should ask while there? Anything I should do before I go, trimming, prepping lol?

Comment

Hi Selorex,

My son, who is now 17, was diagnosed with TC when he was 16, so I have an idea of how uncomfortable and scary this must be for you.

I know everyones experience is different, but you should consider that, since TC tends to grow quite quickly, you would probably have had other symptoms a long time ago. With Austin, he began feeling pain and swelling one afternoon that increased as the evening went on, landing him in the hospital with surgery later that night.

TC is also relatively rare, but very treatable. No matter what, you are doing the right thing by letting your parents know your concerns. Kudos to them for taking you to the Doctor to find out what is is, if anything. Sometimes NOT knowing is worse than knowing the truth.......your mind can play games with you!

There is really nothing for you to do to prepare for the appointment. He will probably ask you how long you've felt the bump and if you have any other health issues...things of that nature. Let us know what the Doctor says.

Diane
            Cook/Maid/Chauffeur/ATM Machine/Personal Asst. to Austin

12/07/11 I/O AFP: 291 hCG: 151
            12/08/11 CT Scan, Xrays - clear
            12/15/11 Non Seminoma Stage1-B
            EC, Teratoma, Yolk Sac, Intratubular
            4/21/12 Relapse- Start 3XBEP
            6/25/12 Finished BEP
            7/02/12 Markers and CT Scan normal
            10/3/12 3 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!
            2/28/13 8 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!
            6/30/13 ONE YEAR- ALL CLEAR!!
            2/14/14 20 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!

Comment

Mate just talk straighg with the doc, you might feel more comfortable with a guy? They should do a hands on exam of the testicles. Remember this is there job. Normal to be nervous, and you are likely to be too nervous to "get excited" down there so put that outof your mind.

When s your appointment?
              >>>>>>>>>
              TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
              TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. My appointment is Tuesday on my day off. I couldn't get in sooner as they wouldn't give me a day off. I'm not going to lie, sometimes after a "happy" dream, I wake up to find a bit of dried blood inside my clothing. There's been a few times where there is sharp pains in my testicles. I've felt these lumps when I was 12, but like I said I never had the courage to take a stand and actually get checked. The feeling I'm having towards this type of thing, I don't really feel it's the right feelings. I don't feel nervous or anything, I don't feel scared, I guess it still hasn't hit me. If I've got testicular cancer, I honestly don't know how to feel about it. Is it typical to have such a growth running along side your testicle? It starts at the top and ends at the bottom. When I attempt to get a slightly good feel of it, some parts feel as though they are attached, and others feel as though they're right beside the testicle yet don't feel fully attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Selorex View Post
                  The feeling I'm having towards this type of thing, I don't really feel it's the right feelings. I don't feel nervous or anything, I don't feel scared, I guess it still hasn't hit me. If I've got testicular cancer, I honestly don't know how to feel about it.
                  There is no "right" way to feel. Every one of us deal with things differently. I never felt nervous or scared, I just wanted to know what they were going to do about it. Whatever you feel is the "right" thing to feel.

I'm glad you are getting this checked out, it's the only way to know for sure.
                  Dave
                  Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                  Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I've had to put my appointment off until the 19th as my boss wouldn't let me off, and on my days off the doctor was going to be out. Just another waiting game I see. How should I ready myself for such a check up?

Comment

Did you tell or ask your employer?

This is the sort of situation in which you tell your employer that you won't be able to work on such and such day because of a medical appointment.
                      If a person asks you they if can have the day off, esp. without explaining why, you're going to assume that the request is not that important or urgent. After all, if it was, they wouldn't have to ask you if it'd be alright.

Explain to your boss that you won't be at work on such and such day because there is a problem, it's potentially quite serious, and you have to get it checked out by a doctor as soon as you can. Apologize for the inconvenience; thank them for their understanding and cooperation.
                      If they cannot accept that, consider going to another doctor about this (and/or finding a different job)
                      Doctors and ultrasonography equipment are available 24/7 at the local ER. They aren't there solely for car wrecks and heart attacks.

You said that your only real fear was infertility. Within the disease of testicular cancer, the main threats to a man's fertility are radiation, chemotherapy, and a RPLND. An early diagnosis of TC often means that none of these treatments are required.

How do you feel about waiting? Do you think that the symptoms you described (blood in semen, sudden sharp pains, growing masses) should remain unaddressed for another half of a month?
                      20Mar2013 :: Tumor found. AFP 694 | β-HCG 1901 | LDH 210
                      29Mar2013 :: left inguinal radical orchiectomy
                      01Apr2013 :: 70% Yolk sac|20% Choriocarcinoma|8% Embryonal carcinoma|2% Mature teratoma| No LVI

Comment

You're right, but I did in fact talk to my employer about taking the day off as it's a pretty serious medical emergency. She exclaimed that because we are so understaffed at the current time there would be no way that I would be able to take of this day, and there's a specific doctor that I'd like to see as he's the one that was there during my birth, sort of like a family doctor? Anyways, he's out for a week or so and yeah.. Hopefully, my boss will give in and let me take the day off soon.

Comment

You'll feel so much more confident when you take that first step. You'll find it boosts your self esteem. I finally went to docs after 2 years of having a large solid lump and it turned out to be cancer, and now im approaching all clear. But these days I can stroll into the docs if anything is wrong with me, no problem - big confidence boost overall.

Comment

I'm currently in the waiting room, nervous as I'll ever be... Time will tell.

Comment

Well, I'm glad you finally got into the doc, but where is the update about what he/she found? We cannot help you if you don't keep us posted about your progress.

Dave
                              Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                              Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
                              X