X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bart234
    • Aug 2006

Hello

I am a 15 year old kid with a few questions about testicular cancer symptoms, and experiences, and this is mainly to people who have either had this cancer, or who have at least had to have a scan related to a testicular mass of any kind.

I was taking a shower about 5 days ago and found what felt like a lump sort of on top my testicle or a little to the side, of the right one. It is in the scrotal sac, but it is in an odd position. I can move it quite a bit, as if it is not attached completely to the testicle, or loosely, because I can hold the testicle, and move the pea-sized ball quite a bit, and it feels like a complete ball, though I can't exactly feel the entirety of it as it is rather close to the testicle, and I think it is better left to the perfessionals to do all the messing around with that

After this, I went to the doctor, and then he decided it was a good idea to get a sonogram, which is what i did today. The lady said that the test needed to be interpreted, so to no personal surprise, she gave no reassurance, or hints either way.

I feel like I feel pains, but I feel like iIfeel them in far too many places, so i think it's psychosomatic, or perhaps it has to do with the fact that I have been poking areas of my body trying to feel them out, or perhaps it is because I have been sleeping on my couch lately, seeing as television helps ease me to sleep.

So my question is what are your experiences? Where was your personal solid tumor, if that is what you had? Was it a ball attached? Was it inside? Was it a lump on the testicle? Was it movable, almost loose, but could not be moved to far, and always near the testicle (like me)? No lump at all?

Also what were all of the other symptoms you noticed if there were a few other ones that you noticed?

Thanks for any replies
  • dadmo
    • Oct 2004

Bart:
    If it's not attached to the testicle it won't be tc so your going to be ok. You probably have a cyst which is quite common. The doctors will want you to check it every now and then to make sure it isn't growing. They are typically harmless, he may give you some medication to take if he thinks it's an infection but you're going to be fine. After you get the results let us know what the doc had to say.
    Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• Fish
      • Sep 2005

Hi Bart and Welcome:

In my cases, I could not feel a discrete lump. Both my tumors were deep inside the testicle. What I noticed was that part of the testicle felt harder and was more sensitive to pressure.

It sounds like your lump might actually be separate from the testicle and that would be good. It's amazing how many pains you start to notice when you think you have a serious illness.

Hopefully yours is nothing serious. Let us know.
      Fish
      TC1
      Right I/O 4/22/1988
      RPLND 6/20/1988
      TC2
      Left I/O 9/17/2003
      Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

• Bart234
        • Aug 2006

Thank you very much for your responce.

Well, I'll let you know the results when I can, but still nothing. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, but naturally the classic "Just be patient, don't think about it, prepare for the worse, hope for the best", isn't working too well.

How long was it until you go results for you sonogram (or ultrasound which is what I hear many others have gotten). Are those two the same, or is there a difference that explains why I was referenced to get a sonogram?

Also, just out of curiousity, did anyone have any syptoms, other than just a lump, or other testicular problems? Also lastly I wanted to ask as a general question to anyone who reads this, has anyone ever head of a case of testicular cancer in which the pea sized ball, was able to be manually moved slightly? (as in it wasn't strongly attached or within the actual testicle)?

Any responces are highly appreciated!

Comment

• Kev332
          • Oct 2004

Hey Bart,

For a 15 year old kid, you are very smart and mature. Good job with getting this checked out even though it doesn't sound like its TC.

In my case, i could definitely tell there was some kind of "growth" attached to my testicle (almost like another ball was growing out of it). I got the results of my ultrasound within an hour of having it done (that might have been because they new it did not look good). Other than feeling something not right down there, i had no other symptoms... no pain anywhere etc..

I hope you find out soon so that you can breathe easy again.. Maybe if you do not hear back by this afternoon, give your doctor a call and check in.

-Kevin
          Diagnosed 10/03/03
          I/O 10/15/03
          RPLND 1/21/04
          Completed the Boston Marathon 4/19/05
          Completed the Boston Marathon 4/17/06
          Baby Riley born on 3/29/09

2012 Livestrong Challenge Web page

Comment

• Bart234
            • Aug 2006

Thank you for the information, and glad to see whether or not I do have anything at all, that so many people are here to give hope, reassurance, and advice. You all are not only outstanding individuals for surviving the disease, but also in addition helping others out in the process. I believe that cancer survivors, often survive to help others in ways just like this to survive that particular cancer. I think it's a good sign that there are more survivors of cancers each day, because regardless of if the ever increasing technology of treating cancer continues to advance (as we all can bet it will), the fact that people who survived the cancer are capable of this kind of support is amazing, and no doubt adds to the increasing survivors of cancer.

Despite it not being an official medical cure by any means, the support people give eachother, through any disease, is a treatment that many forget just how important it is.

I just wanted to thank you all, although I am sure you get this appreciation often.

Thanks to any responces to my previous questions, and well wishers as well.

I will fill you all in on any results I receive.

Comment

• dadmo
              • Oct 2004

Thanks Bart and good luck.
              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• GregD
                • Aug 2006

Whats up Bart? although i got it tested and checked out and it turned out not to be TC, i know what it feels like to anticipate the worst and be scared.. I found a lump probably ab 3 weeks ago, although i did not tell any1 till ab a week ago, which was my mistake. I finally had it checked and i had an ultra sound done and I did not find out results till the next day. I had 2 work all that day and attempt to go to sleep at night with that on my mind and let me tell u, it was not a good feeling.
                I just want to let you kno that just because u have a lump, DOESNT MEAN IT IS TC. Mine wasnt, just happened to be Cysts like mentioned earlier that can easily be removed or drained.

About your other aches and pains.. i had all that too. I think it was a psychological thing more than anythin. I looked up the symptoms of TC and soon after, started to experience these symptoms. i was soo convinced i had it that i convinced myself that these symptoms were real. You may have aches and pains but dont neccessarily jump to the conclusion that it is linked with TC cause it very well may not be.

I hope the best for you and look forward to hearing the results. Good luck man!

Greg

Comment

• Bart234
                  • Aug 2006

I just came back from the doctor, and they said that it was several cysts. I don't know how I got em though. Thanks for all the help

Comment

• Megazoid
                    • Aug 2006

Hi Bart,

Even though i didn't join in on this thread at the start, i am still glad to hear it's nothing serious.

Cyst's can be removed with surgery but i think this is advised against unless pain is present. Maybe someone else on the forum can offer some further advice on this?

Keep us posted on your progress!

Best Regards,
                    Dave

Comment

• Ras Joe
                      • Jul 2006

Thanks and praises to the Almighty!! Great to hear that it isn't TC. I wish you good health, irie times and blessings for the rest of your days.
                      TC 1
                      Right I/O-- 12-5-00 (seminoma, teratoma, embryonal, yolk sak)
                      RPLND-- 12-29-00 (All Clear)
                      Surveillance
                      Recurrence-- 4-22-01 (3 mets in right lung-- biggest 3cm, small met on pancreas, one lymph node enlarged-- 2x normal)
                      Chemotherapy-- started 4-30-01, 3xBEP
                      Surveillance
                      TC 2
                      Left I/O-- 7-19-06 (seminoma)
                      Hormone replacement therapy-- Androgel
                      Surveillance

Jeremiah 29:11
                      Listen to Bob Marley

Comment

• Fish
                        • Sep 2005

Glad to hear it's nothing serious. Now you can relax.
                        Fish
                        TC1
                        Right I/O 4/22/1988
                        RPLND 6/20/1988
                        TC2
                        Left I/O 9/17/2003
                        Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

• DianeE
                          • Apr 2006

Hi Bart,

So glad you had good news to share with us.

You felt something wasn't right and instead of whining about
                          it for several weeks, you were a man and got it checked out,
                          and you got good news so now you can relax a bit.

As Kevin said in his post-- You are very mature for a 15 year old guy.
                          We're used to dealing with 15 year old guys who behave like
                          they're 6 years old.

Thanks for posting.

Diane

Comment

• Scott
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by DianeE
                            We're used to dealing with 15 year old guys who behave like they're 6 years old.
                            Fortunately, I'd say that's still the exception rather than the rule.
                            Scott
                            right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• Bart234
                              • Aug 2006

Hey everyone!

You know what's funny, right now, I'm currently having random pains, and I felt a lump on the back of my neck, and one on my armpit (the armpit one went away, the back of the neck one is still there). I went to a dematologist, he felt the lump on the back of the neck, and said it was a cyst. he confirmed another lump on my back was a cyst, and this patch of lumps on my waist were....cysts of course.

So I'm just a cystic guy I suppose. The same thing goes for my testical, which was apparently scar tissue, or cysts. I still have it there, nothing new to note of it though.

In any case, I have thought for a while that these lumps were either lymph nodes (the armpit one that went away likely might have been), or other lumps that were metastatic cancer, or lymphoma. I am just a real hypochondriac, and I seem to always be coming up with thoughts about how my frequent heartburn, or bowel inconsistencies MUST be some fatal illness.

In any case, I of course, google the hell outta everything, and panic myself, so right now I still am convinced I MAY have something, horrible. I look at people say things about symptoms that sound like mine, they say they're gonna check them out, and post either something vague about what happens, or don't post anything at all. I am left to believe...wow, they must have immediately fallen victim to an illness to not return like that.

In any case, I remembered this was by far one of my most alarming experiences of thinking I had something, and the one that I believe was the most merited. I decided to once again write here to check in, because even if I may not have had TC, I think it would give me some relief to see someone come back 4 years later and give the thumbs up that all is still well, so I decided to do that, and just give that brief update on my health anxieties for those who relate to that as well.

Most importantly though, I just wanted to drop by again, and say thank you very much for the kind and informative treatment I recieved here. The net is a terrible place at times for health-worriers, especially young uneducated searchers, who like to believe they are rediculously precocious and KNOW they MUST be ill. This forum however had a face where others were faceless, and was comforting yet straightforward, where others were fear-inducing and unclear. So thanks again for the help back then, good luck to all in your various endeavors who happen to be reading this for many reasons, may all be as well for you, as they have luckily been for me since coming here. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X