X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mclovin1
    • Nov 2009

Right testicle HUGE

Hi I'm turning 16 in about a month. My right testicle is very very big compared to the left one, it is probably 8-10 times the size of the left one, I have had no pain whatsoever, and it feels kind of harder in the middle and on the top than in the bottom. It is harder and heavier than the left one.

It has been this big for probably 1-2 years, and i have always just ignored it because it hasn't caused me any pain, but now I have started working out much at the gym, and when i lift the weights i can get a sharp stinging/aching pain in my right testicle, or in the lower abdomen/lower back.

The right testicle is so big that i can barely touch the spermatic cord, when i lie down it kind of feels even harder, and when it is cold the bottom of the testicle can get dark blue(?) sort of.

It is biggest on the top and smaller in the bottom, it hasn't got any lumps, but the surface is bumpy when i roll it and have a strong light on it. The left one is normal size, but it has also got some fluid surrounding it, it is attached as far as i can tell you, I am so scared.

I told my parents yesterday, i started crying, my mother just said that why haven't i told her earlier, and i said that i was afraid, but she totally understood me and i am having an appointment next week.

Could someone PLEASE read through this and tell me what it PROBABLY could be, all threads that i read have got "lumps" but my testicle is just so large, and I think it may be cancer, if i was told that I could not father children or that I had testicular cancer, man... That would be the worst day of my life..

Man why didn't i tell them earlier, it is probably too late now
  • Scott
    Administrator
    • Jul 2003

It's not too late, and good for you for telling your parents. Well done.

It's more likely to be something like a hydrocele than cancer. A urologist can diagnose the problem. You should have an ultrasound to take a good look.

Keep us posted.
    Scott
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• mclovin1
      • Nov 2009

Ok

Ok, but can a hydrocele make the testicle hard? Isn't it usually fluid _surrounding_ the testicle?

And thank you so much for reading this and replying!

Comment

• Scott
        Administrator
        • Jul 2003

Think how heavy and solid a water balloon can feel.

It could also be a varicocele or spermatocele -- or it could be cancerous. In any case, you'll be on the right path with a urologist visit and ultrasound.
        Scott
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• mclovin1
          • Nov 2009

ok thanks so much, I already feel much better when someone can reply to my question.

But if it is cancer, it has probably spread beyond the testicles, because it has been there for over 1 year

And btw, if it is a hydrocele or something non cancerous, can it still hurt in my lower abdomen/back?
          Last edited by mclovin1; 11-14-09, 12:38 PM. Reason: didn't write enough

Comment

• Scott
            Administrator
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mclovin1 View Post
            But if it is cancer, it has probably spread beyond the testicles, because it has been there for over 1 year
            Don't get too far ahead of the program worrying about what could be. Even if it should turn out to be cancer and has spread, the odds are in your favor. One step at a time...
            Scott

Comment

• Scott
              Administrator
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mclovin1 View Post
              And btw, if it is a hydrocele or something non cancerous, can it still hurt in my lower abdomen/back?
              Sure, there are other possible explanations -- including the pull of the extra weight of your enlarged testicle. Be sure to tell the doctor everything you're reporting here about symptoms. It's too easy to assume if you aren't asked a question directly, it may not be important.
              Scott

Comment

• mclovin1
                • Nov 2009

If it is cancerous, then it is obviously removed, but if it is a hydrocele or something else thats none cancerous, is it still going to be removed, or are there any medication that can take down the swelling?

Because it is a very uncomfortable size now. I would say it is about 10cm high and 6 cm wide ( but not that wide in the bottom )

Comment

• Scott
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2003

I suspect you'll be looking at surgery in any case but will keep the testicle unless it's cancer.
                  Scott

Comment

• Scott1974
                    • May 2009

mclovin1,
                    You've taking a hard step in telling your parents and heading to a Dr. Try not to get too far ahead of every what if situation(I know it's difficult) but try not to worry until the Dr has done the ultrasound and can give you a real answer as to what it is. As Scott has stated there a several things it could be besides cancer and even then the odds are good..

Also, don't beat yourself up too bad about waiting to tell your parents. Everyone on this board no matter what their age understands. Please keep us posted and good luck.
                    Pure mature Teratoma
                    Stage 1
                    Surveillance
                    5/12/09-Diagnosed with TC
                    5/14/09 Left I/O
                    5/20/09 All Clear
                    8/27/09 All Clear
                    11/19/2009 All Clear
                    2/25/2010 All Clear
                    5/6/2010 All Clear- 1 year milestone
                    9/16/2010 All Clear
                    1/20/2011 All Clear
                    5/26/2011 All Clear- 2 year milestone
                    12/8/2011 All Clear-2.5 years
                    6/21/2012 All Clear-3 years.

Comment

• mclovin1
                      • Nov 2009

Thanks for replying!

I am very embarrassed about this, because i don't think many others have got this big testicle, and I om sort of scared of the doctor, and I really don't know why

To be honest I am not comfortable showing my testicles, especially when they are in this condition..

Comment

• mclovin1
                        • Nov 2009

I have an appointment with my urologist in about 5hrs, I will let you know what the result is.
                        Man I am so nervous.

Comment

• Aegean
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2008

Hey Mclovin,

Don't be nervous, try to stay cool (kinda like your namesake in Super Bad ). The urology appointment will be painless physically and over in no time. The ultrasound, if requested will also be painless, just a bit gooey, but also over in about 5 minutes. Yeah, it's a bit embarrassing to drop your Calvins, but these are all folks that have seen it before and they will not blink an eye so just try to relax. Bring a book or PSP/DSi to keep you busy while you wait, get your mind off thinds a bit.

Good luck again, and keep us in the loop.
                          Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
                          Left I/O 11/25/08
                          Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
                          Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

• mclovin1
                            • Nov 2009

Hi guys, I just came back from the urologist.

I apparently have hydrocele in both testicles, but the doctor said it isn't dangerous at all.
                            Man I wish i could tell you how relieved i am, i really thought it was cancer.

I am having surgery next year, maybe in Februari, thanks for supporting me guys!

Comment

• Smartie
                              • Mar 2006

Congratulations Mcl! Great news!
                              Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
                              August 2001: Right I/O .
                              August - December 2001: Surveillance .
                              December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
                              December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
                              Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

Working...
                              X