Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally told my parents...

Hey guys,

You might remember me, I made a topic in the summer of last year about how I found a lump and I was scared. I've had it for over 3 years now, so I firstly want to apologise for not taking up your advice for telling my parents way back in the summer. I was an idiot.

I finally told my parents tonight, I just tried to talk to my mum when she came upstairs and I burst into tears and told her. God bless her, she was so nice and supportive about it. I'm going to the doctors with her tommorow afternoon. It's taken me 3 years to force myself into reality to actually do something about this. I'm so scared because I've waited too long, but I guess I'll find out in the following weeks. I'm so frightened and I feel like by waiting I'm just putting nails into my coffin, but I just gotta wait.

I really don't want to tell my girlfriend, she'll be so upset since her family is already affected by cancer. She's going away for a few days so it makes it a little easier right now. I thought about how upset she would be if I did die, and that convinced me to finally do something about this. I love her so much and I don't want to ruin her life, as well as that of my family.

Thank you guys for setting up this amazing site, it really goes to show there are some brilliant selfless people in the world who want to help out others.

Mike.

Congratulations. Really! You've taken the hardest step, mentally. You're on your way to better times now, without the stress of carrying around the secret. It sounds as if you will be surrounded by supporters. Cure rates are in all our favor. Its NOT a death sentence. You're on the road to freedom!

Please keep everybody here posted, and don't be afraid to ask for advice or for us to share our experiences with you.
    10-23-09 Left R/O
    10-27-09--100% Pure Seminoma PT1, extension into tunica vaginalis
    10-30-09--X Ray normal, Pre-surgery tumor markers normal
    11-2-09--CT shows two enlarged nodes, 1.9 to 4.3 cm
    11-2-09--CT shows periaortic Retroprtitoneal mass (3 X 4 X 7cm)
    So, I have Stage II C Seminoma
    11-16-09--Begin 4X EP
    1-22-10 Finish last round of 4X EP
    4-2-2010 CT scan shows MOSTLY CLEAR!!!
    One tiny mass is likely scar tissue=1.1 cm.
    My Treatment Journal/Blog: http://uttc.wordpress.com/

Comment

Congratulations on taking the first step. Just so you know, I was 30 when I was first diagnose, and it took me 3 months to buck up the courage to see my GP.

If they have any concerns, your GP should organise for you to have an ultrasound (ask your mum about this, as it is the same thing given to pregnant women to see the baby). This should tell the doctor if there is anything to be concerned about.

Please come back at tell us how things go.
      Right orchidectomy for Stage 1 Seminoma - Feb '06,
      1x Carboplatin May '06,
      Left Testicle biopsy - May '09
      Intratubular germ cell neoplasia - June '09
      Left orchidectomy - Aug '09
      All Clear - Sept '09
      TRT - ongoing
      7 Years ALL CLEAR - Jan '13
      www.checkemlads.com south western UK director

Comment

I'm willing to bet it's something less serious than cancer, but I'm so glad you're getting it diagnosed!
        Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

Well done Mike. As Andy said, make absolutely sure that your GP schedules you for an urgent ultrasound.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
          Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
          August 2001: Right I/O .
          August - December 2001: Surveillance .
          December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
          December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
          Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

Should have the doctors some time in the afternoon today, my mum is making the appointment in a bit. Feeling a little nervous, and I have a day of college ahead of me too.

Comment

Mike

Just look forward dont think about the past .. its great that you are getting it checked out.

Check back with the results.

Just be open and honest with the doc and the doc will wanto to examine the testicle.

Cheers

Kiwi
              >>>>>>>>>
              TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
              TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

I've just gotten back from the doctors. He felt it and said I had hydrocele which I already knew, and varicocele. Upon looking that up I do share the charactersics of Varicocele, and the top of the epidydimus is swollen, which is what I thought was a lump. It felt very tender when I first got it, and that's something that's not usually associated with cancer.

I feel better, but I think I'm gonna try and get an ultrasound to be sure.

But I feel so much better. Like my mum said, I shouldn't have tortured myself for 3 years over this. I don't even know myself why I didn't tell anyone. Nothing to do with the doctor, I was 100% comfortable with him checking me. Hey, I was young, stupid and I felt invincible. But now all that is over, I can finally get on with my life without any doubts for the future. I got a job, a brilliant girlfriend who I've been seeing for over 2 years and I'm planning to propose too soon, and a great family.
                Last edited by ronekay; 02-02-10, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronekay View Post

I feel better, but I think I'm gonna try and get an ultrasound to be sure.
                  Good idea.
                  Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
                  August 2001: Right I/O .
                  August - December 2001: Surveillance .
                  December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
                  December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
                  Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

Great news.

An ultrasound will definitely put your mind at rest, once and for all.

Please let us know how it all goes.
                    Right orchidectomy for Stage 1 Seminoma - Feb '06,
                    1x Carboplatin May '06,
                    Left Testicle biopsy - May '09
                    Intratubular germ cell neoplasia - June '09
                    Left orchidectomy - Aug '09
                    All Clear - Sept '09
                    TRT - ongoing
                    7 Years ALL CLEAR - Jan '13
                    www.checkemlads.com south western UK director

Comment

Originally posted by ronekay View Post
                      I shouldn't have tortured myself for 3 years over this. I don't even know myself why I didn't tell anyone.
                      I hope others out there wondering, as you did, see your post and learn from you!
                      Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
                      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

Working...
                      X