X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitch
    • May 2003

Uninsured Information Resources

As many of us in the US know, there is a huge health care crisis and many people (especially men 18-35) are without health insurance. Without getting into the politics of any of it, I thought this might be a good place to put out some information and possible resources for people who may think they have symptoms of TC, but are afraid to go to a doctor because they don't have insurance and are afraid of the cost.

A long time ago I posted this link to state and regional sources for indigent health care for people without medical insurance. After reading a few posts of people without insurance, I just wanted to re-post it. It can be a good starting point for people in need of information (some states not only provide better care, but also better information).

If you have any other information, or first-hand experience of dealing with TC or any other medical condition without insurance, I think that may be a huge service to other people reading this forum.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Mitch
    TC Survivor Dec 2002
    Stage IIC Non-seminoma
    Chemo EPx4; RPLND
  • Rune
    • Jan 2004

Great idea, Mitch!

If people could post experiences and information here, I think it would be nice to craft it all into a sticky-thread. It's an important issue for a lot of Americans.
    Sincerely,
    Rune

Right I/O, 11/27-2003 | Nonseminoma (embryonal carcinoma, teratoma) | Surveillance

Ride to Live!

Comment

• Scott
      Administrator
      • Jul 2003

See this link for "Cover the Uninsured Week" information.
      Scott
      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• Shimmers
        • Mar 2005

I live in the UK so insurance here is different but I wanted to recommend an insurance product called Critical Illness. Does this exist in the states? Although cancer survivors are exempt for this, it is worthwhile looking at for parners or other family members. We are currently working with one of the top people in the country, who I also know personally from a past chapter of my life when I worked in the area of critical illness, and can highly recommend him both both non cancer patients and cancer patients looking for insurance in the future. His name is John Joseph and his website is www.jjfs.com
        Shimmers

Comment

• Coach Rak
          • Aug 2005

i am an insurance agent for Mutual of Omaha and i do sell and can give quotes for critical illness or cancer insurance
          found lump on rt testical 7/15/05
          saw Dr. on 7/18/05
          ultrasound on 7/25/05
          Diagnosed with tc on 7/26/05
          orch on 7/26/05
          pathology showed embryonal cell carcinoma 8/05/05
          RPLND schedualed for 9/7/05

Comment

• justinsmom
            • Sep 2005

Going along with the no health insurance issue is what about my son who is on our policy right now but is to be married possibly in Feb. He is 21 & will be a full time college student so won't qualify for insurance through work, what are his options going to be? Coach Rak maybe you have some advice? Our insurance agent is looking into it but it doesn't sound promising.........
            Son (21) Diag 6/29/05;non-seminoma stage II;embryonal carcinoma & teratoma; right I/O 7/1; 4 X BEP; 21.5 x 19.0 x 9.5cm abdominal mass; full bilateral RPLND 11/21/05; 8-06 right arm/hand continues to heal from paralysis due to nerve injury

Comment

• Don
              • Jan 2005

If justin doesn't have a lot of assets,money in the back and a small income he might qualify for state sponsored Medicaid!!! I qualified in Fl because I had 2 children. The money I have paid out of pocket is minimal!!! The requirement to meet differ from state to state and most hospitals and Doctors except the Medicaid!!!!
              Moffitt Cancer Institute
              CANCER SUCKS
              Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal Tumor@ 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

• Scott
                Administrator
                • Jul 2003

Finding Insurance

The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the organization behind Cover the Uninsured Week, offers these State Guides to Finding Health Insurance.
                Scott
                right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• Scott
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2003

Finding a Health Center

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers a searchable database of health centers.
                  Scott

Comment

• Scott
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2003

CancerCare offers a guide to "Financial Help for People with Cancer" at this link.
                    Scott

Comment

• discodolly
                      • Feb 2006

I would like to know if anyone has had any luck with applying for disability thru SSI. My son is 23 with no children and never been married. I applied for SSI since this is the only way he will be eligible for Medicaid. They tell me it will take 3-5 months before we hear anything. I am worried since per the SSI guidelines the prognosis must be that he will be "disabled" for 1 year. Don't know if this is retroactive back to when he started feeling ill of when the time is measured from. He has no income and hasn't had any since Sept 05.

He is receiving Food Stamps now and we have applied for the $150.00 one time allotment from Cancer Care.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                      Debbie

Comment

• discodolly
                        • Feb 2006

Still hoping someone will respond to the previous question about SSI

Comment

• cotoram
                          • Jan 2006

Ssi

I am sorry, but from everything I hear about getting social security to pay for disability it is very hard. The definition of disability is very strict (my father is an MD and performs SS exams in Oregon, while I am an insurance consultant). The definition of total disability that needs to be satisfied before it pays is almost someone who is completely incapacitated.

Comment

• discodolly
                            • Feb 2006

We did not apply for total disability, it is only temporary.

Comment

• Don
                              • Jan 2005

I sorry I didn,t respond to your question earlier.. I am on SSI disability for 3 reasons 1) TC stage3c disabled me for more than 6 months--2) I lost a kidney--3) I still suffer from severe neuropathy which may or may not go away.. I was approved for 100% disability.. Once the paperwork is submitted to SSI it takes 8-12 weeks for a reply as to whether or not he will be approved.. If approved he will start receiving benifits on the 1st day of the fifth month after he became disabled.. I became disabled 9/18/04 -I submitted my SSI papers Feb 05--I was approved jun 05and received my first check in july 05-- I did not receive back payment for the first 5 months because you have to be disabled that long to even be considered for SSI.. I did however receive a lump sum payment for feb05-july05 (6months) for me and my children which helped a great deal.. They also figure you monthly benifits according to how much you make -- if you son make 30k a year he would receive about 800 a month SSI,40k a year 1000 a month--and so on until you reach the maximum of $1634 per month in benifits-- You also receive Medicaid for the first 2 years dating from the day you became disabled--after the 2 years is up you are then transferred to Medicare which is much better.. From what I have learned a Cancer patient will generally qualify for disability upto 24 months past the date your are deemed to be in remission--from that piont you qualify for an addition 36 months of benifits so you can get back to work or learn a new career.. Seeing you son is younger ,if he qualifies for SSI, they will also pay for him to go to school to learn trade which may be good to take advantage of if needed. I happen to be in a little different situation due to loosing the kidney and the neuropathy.. SSI will generally reevaluate a case every 2-5 years--7 years if you qualify for 100% disability.. If you have any questions please feel free to ask--Email me att [email protected] DON
                              Moffitt Cancer Institute
                              CANCER SUCKS
                              Diagnosed/Left I/O 9/18/2004--Non-Seminoma/Stage IIIC--3X B.E.P chemo--3X T.I.P. Salvage chemo---Abdominal Tumor@ 34cmX 24.5cmX 17.5cm---4/19/2005 --RPLND/Left Kidney,8 1/2lb Abdominal tumor,42 nodes removed---7/16/2005 Remission/Surveillance---Severe Peripheral Neuropathy--

Comment

Working...
                              X