X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charity recommendations for fundraising

Some of you might have seen my posts around this forum. If not, I was just given the all clear from my doctor this week after finishing the 3xBEP chemotherapy regimen. I feel great and am slowly getting back to work and living life!

I now want to give back to the cancer community that has been so helpful to me. I am looking for some advice on how to go about doing that. I am a nightclub DJ here in Orlando, Florida and I am in the process of organizing a charity event at one of the clubs I frequently play at. I also of course would like to donate all the profit to a cancer charity. I am very grateful for the work this forum does and was wondering if they accept donations, or work closely with any charities.

I am looking to donate directly to cancer research teams, or to an organization that assists and offers support to young people dealing with a cancer diagnosis. Can you guys help point me in the direction of an organization like this?
    Brian
    Facebook.com/DJDoctaDawe

Left I/O - March 25, 2009
    Pure Seminoma
    Surveillance March-October 2009
    Recurrence in Lymph Nodes discovered - October 23, 2009
    3xBEP October-December 2009
    CT Scan: ALL CLEAR! - January 11, 2010

Brian, it's great to see you doing what you love and trying to get some benefit to cancer research. There are so many choices out there and everyone has their favorites. Many of the folks here donate to the LAF or The American Cancer Society (ACS). One of the things I do when I donate locally is try to direct my money towards research or try to target "cancer below the belt". It is not that I think the others do not deserve my money but TC, colon and prostate are just not the "sexy" ones (check out this breast cancer public service announcement).

Maybe if they got TC on HBO's "Hung"... they tried it on Californication and got it all wrong, and referred to it on "Accidently on Purpose"... still not the same as the above commercial and the hits it got on Youtube.

Anyway, do your research and donate where you feel most comfortable. (Many folks here ride bikes for the LAF and other cancer charities and come spring will be looking for donations too.. just look at their signatures.)
    Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
    Left I/O 11/25/08
    Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
    Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

Originally posted by TheDocta View Post
      ...an organization that assists and offers support to young people dealing with a cancer diagnosis.
      LIVESTRONG's SurvivorCare and Young Adult Alliance are a good match.
      Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
      right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

i am a big fan of www.ImermanAngels.org johnny and his team are awesome good luck and congrats on giving back buddy

Comment

There are so many very worthy charities out there. If you are looking for one which complements the musical world in which you're involved, you could consider the Love Hope Strength Foundation.
          Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
          August 2001: Right I/O .
          August - December 2001: Surveillance .
          December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
          December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
          Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

You may want to consider participating in a Livestrong event. The forum members turn out strong for the Philly Challange. We have members on several teams, which one you join really isn't important, here's the link for the team I'm on LOVEstrong.
            Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

Good recommendations guys! I really appreciate them, I will check out all the suggestions and keep everyone up to date with my event. Hopefully it will be a huge success and I can raise some money for our cause.
              Brian
              Facebook.com/DJDoctaDawe

Left I/O - March 25, 2009
              Pure Seminoma
              Surveillance March-October 2009
              Recurrence in Lymph Nodes discovered - October 23, 2009
              3xBEP October-December 2009
              CT Scan: ALL CLEAR! - January 11, 2010

Comment

Awesome, Brian!! Keep us in the loop.
                Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
                Left I/O 11/25/08
                Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
                Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

Working...
                X