X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul54
    • Oct 2007

Fight Back, Pay It Forward, Donate Blood

There are many ways to fight cancer. Our individual battles are the obvious ones. Then there is fundraising for the charities you feel matter the most. But a really great way to give something that money can’t buy is to donate blood.

I bring this up since I donated last evening, which I do every 8 weeks. Plus I just read a member’s blog update where he talks about transfusions following high dose chemo. I started donating when I was 18 because my mother needed major surgery. About one-third of blood donations go to people fighting cancer, primarily to counter the affects of chemo. A lot goes to children, which alone is reason to donate. The other two thirds go to surgical patients and trauma victims.

Wondering how a cancer survivor is allowed to donate blood? Rules vary by country. In the US, survivors can donate a year after last treatment, defined as surgery, chemo or radiation. CT scans and X-rays are not considered treatment. There are other limits such as surviving a solid tumor, including TC. Survivors of blood-type cancers such as leukemia are not eligible. Believe me, I triple-checked eligibility before donating.

The American Red Cross guidelines are here: http://www.redcrossblood.org/donatin...y-requirements

I would never put anybody else at risk so I researched the issue. There are large studies that show there is no increased risk of contracting cancer by blood donations. They didn’t actually try to inject blood from cancer survivors into anybody. They tracked donors and recipients over a long time to match donations from people who were subsequently diagnosed with cancer with the health of blood recipients. Think about it: Cancer can grow for a long time before symptoms appear, some like prostate cancer for decades. All that time, cancer victims without symptoms can be donating.

When I first returned to donate, I thought I would have a hard time. I completed the questionnaires, including questions about cancer, absolutely truthfully. Every single interviewer thanks me for donating since it helps so many cancer survivors.

It’s true. Donate blood. Save lives.
    "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
    Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)
  • dc67
    • Nov 2011

That's interesting that they will take our blood. I, like you, started donating many years ago when my mom was having by pass surgery. I have donated 4.5 gallons to date but only a few times over the last several years as I have a liver problem and now TC. I will look into it though because that was always something I felt really good about. They say every pint helps at least 3 people.

Doug
    Doug

"There's no dollar sign, on a piece of mind, this I've come to know" Zac Brown Band

Comment

• TC Destroyer
      Administrator
      • Apr 2009

Great post Paul I haven't since HDC since I remember being told i should wait 4-5 years. After reading these guidelines though I will have ro ask my onc
      Diagnosed 4/17/08
      Right orchiectomy 4/18/08
      Pure choriocarcinoma; HCG 715,000; lungs, lymphnodes, liver, and random other places
      4X VIP chemo at IU with Dr. Einhorn 4/25/08-7/4/08
      HCG down to 7.2 10/28/08
      HCG back up to 198 12/29/08
      1 X PVB 1/2/09-1/6/09
      2 X HDC w/ stem cell rescue 2/4/09-3/14/09
      Follow-up with Dr. Einhorn 4/22/09
      HCG 1.2
      3 rounds, 21 days, twice daily, VP-16 50mg 4/24/09-7/10/09

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/johncovell

Comment

• Smartie
        • Mar 2006

I used to give blood. Sadly, here in Britain, having had cancer has now earned me a lifetime ban.
        Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
        August 2001: Right I/O .
        August - December 2001: Surveillance .
        December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
        December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
        Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

• embee
          • Feb 2011

Hmm... that's interesting.My oncologist (I had breast cancer) told me I could never donate blood again... I'll have to check into that, thanks, embee
          Nephew Will (19 years old)

2-14-11 Left I/O; 50% EC, 40% teratoma; 10% yolk sac
          3-14-11: BEPx3
          4-18-11: Markers normalize
          6-13-11: IU pathology: 60% teratoma, 35% EC, 5% yolk sac
          7-7-11: left modified template nerve sparing RPLND at IU; 2/19 nodes with teratoma (2%), rest necrotic
          10-01-11: 1st post-RPLND TM ALL CLEAR
          12-01-11: 1st post-RPLND CT ALL CLEAR

Comment

• Already Bald
            • Nov 2006

I wonder if I can donate again too, now that I'm 5 years out.
            I also had removed "Organ Donor" off of my driver license during treatments. I'll have to ask about that at my next oncology visit.
            Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
            Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
            The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• MarkOne
              • Sep 2015

UK still has a lifetime ban on donating blood if you have had cancer. I had to stop after 52 previous donations over 25 years.

Comment

• MarkOne
                • Sep 2015

UK still has a lifetime ban on donating blood if you have had cancer. I had to stop after 52 previous donations over 25 years.

Comment

Working...
                X