• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I like helping people, and word has gotten around."

Props to our own TC Destroyer!

http://rapidcityjournal.com/lifestyl...a4bcf887a.html
    Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Thanks, for sharing. As a new guy to TC its great to see others raising awareness.
    Tony

Diagnosed 4/12/12
    AFP 31, HCG 32
    I/O 4/25/12
    Nonseminoma Stage 1S
    Embryonal Carcinoma 95%, Yolk Sac 5%
    Lymphatic Invasion, Markers did not normalize
    BEPx3 Finished 8/5/12
    Post Chemo APF 2 HCG Undetectable

Comment

Awesome Work!

Great Job TC Destroyer! Your efforts will save lives.
      03/16/2012 Ultrasound Diagnosis TC (Tumor 5.5 cm)
      03/22/2012 Right I/O Pre-IO markers normal
      03/28/2012 Pathology Classic pure Seminoma, pT1/N?/M0/S0
      04/05/2012 CT Scan--Clear? (single 1.2 cm node External iliac)
      05/03/2012 PET Scan CLEAR. All markers Normal.
      05/04/2012 1 X CARBOPLATIN INFUSION (Chemo Lite)
      09/02/2012 CT All Clear! (1 cm External Illiac Node)
      04/04/2013 CT All Clear!

Comment

That's outstanding!

Keep up the great work.
        Jan 2000 Left I/O
        Surveillance
        Dec 2011 cancer diagnosed in right testicle, and lymph node, followed by I/O
        Pathology report 100% pure seminoma
        March 5 2012 started chemo 4xEP
        May 11, 2012 Finished Chemo.
        October 29, 2012 All Clear.

Comment

Thanks gang. There will be a story on the local news channel as well. I am speaking to two high schools on Monday. Our very own asmartin will be helping with one of the schools. He is hoping to start giving presentations to local high schools as well. Again I give all the props to Alex (Aegletes), he started giving presentations and inspired me to do the same. Thank you Alex for guiding and encouraging me.
          sigpic
          Diagnosed 4/17/08
          Right orchiectomy 4/18/08
          Pure choriocarcinoma; HCG 715,000; lungs, lymphnodes, liver, and random other places
          4X VIP chemo at IU with Dr. Einhorn 4/25/08-7/4/08
          HCG down to 7.2 10/28/08
          HCG back up to 198 12/29/08
          1 X PVB 1/2/09-1/6/09
          2 X HDC w/ stem cell rescue 2/4/09-3/14/09
          Follow-up with Dr. Einhorn 4/22/09
          HCG 1.2
          3 rounds, 21 days, twice daily, VP-16 50mg 4/24/09-7/10/09

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/johncovell

Comment

As a Mom of a teenager who was recently diagnosed with TC at age 16, I applaud you for what you are doing. Austin is lucky, and we are fortunate, that he felt comfortable enough to come to us (his Dad) as soon as he noticed something was off.....in his case, pain and swelling. However, had he known how to self examine his testicles and that TC even existed, perhaps it would have been discovered sooner and he would not have to be enduring Chemo treatments today. In any case, even if your efforts make a difference in only one young man's life who is affected by TC, or any other cancer or ailment, it's time well spent. I have yet to meet anyone, INCLUDING nurses in the Pediatric and Oncology Dept. at Johns Hopkins, who is aware that, although it is a rare cancer, it's the most common one in young men from ages 15-35! I never knew that until we faced Austin's diagnosis either.

I have been keeping a journal since his I/O and even suggested to Austin that he keep one, jotting down his thoughts along the way, now that he has started BEP. I thought we could take pictures as well, so that someday maybe he could share this experience with others. He is not so keen on the idea, and I totally get that. So, I continue to keep mine and snap photos here and there, with the idea if in the future he changes his mind, perhaps he can make a difference in someone's life too.

You fought an incredible battle, defeated the odds and have an amazing story to tell. Again, thanks for the gift you are giving these kids!!

Diane
            Cook/Maid/Chauffeur/ATM Machine/Personal Asst. to Austin

12/07/11 I/O AFP: 291 hCG: 151
            12/08/11 CT Scan, Xrays - clear
            12/15/11 Non Seminoma Stage1-B
            EC, Teratoma, Yolk Sac, Intratubular
            4/21/12 Relapse- Start 3XBEP
            6/25/12 Finished BEP
            7/02/12 Markers and CT Scan normal
            10/3/12 3 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!
            2/28/13 8 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!
            6/30/13 ONE YEAR- ALL CLEAR!!
            2/14/14 20 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!

Comment

I'm so happy that you're doing this, John, and know that because of your personality, youth and TC experience, you're really making a difference and being an effective advocate for TC awareness with the kids you talk to. Keep up the excellent work!

Alex
              TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
              TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Great job! Even though I haven't been diagnosed yet, and my doc thinks it's most likely benign, I wish that I hadn't had to do all my learning about TC on my own over the past few weeks. If someone like you had stepped up at my high school or college, I certainly would have been better prepared for the feelings that assault you when you're told that something's not right. Thank you for stepping up!
                Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Great article! I wish I had known more about this disease before I was diagnosed. Your doing a good thing......keep it up!
                  Dx - 1/25/2010
                  Lft. I/O - 1/27/2010
                  Stage I (E.C. & Teratoma)
                  Surveillance
                  6/22/2010 - AFP elevated to 24.3, b-HCG up to 6
                  7/8/2010 - Start 3xBEP - Changed to 4X after lung issues
                  Diagnosed with "Growing Teratoma Syndrome"
                  10/7/2010 - RPLND and teratoma removed from groin area.
                  100 lymph nodes negative. Teratoma malignantly transformed into Carcinosarcoma. Onto Surveillance again.

Philly LiveStrong Challenge
                  http://philly2011.livestrong.org/johnmiller

Comment

Its already been said, but thank you for getting the word out. As my son 22, we didn't know to tell him that checking himself was something to do, he didn't know....we are blessed that he told us, but again, if he had know to check regularly he too may not be going through chemo right now. So for all the young men that you can help, makes it better for everyone on this site. To make a difference is awesome because YOU will do it. Even if it is one young man, one young person saved from this, is a miracle. So good for you! and Thank you from us!

Steven's Mom

Comment

Asmartin and I finished our presentations couple of hours ago. Man what a gratification it is to present to these kids. We were well received and had a lot of laughs. I think the message soaked in. Local news station is broadcasting a story on the presentations so that should be up on the internet soon. Making the 5 hour drive back home now so I won't see it until tomorrow.

Two high schools in one day man I am still pumped! I want to do another one right now!
                      sigpic
                      Diagnosed 4/17/08
                      Pure choriocarcinoma; HCG 715,000; lungs, lymphnodes, liver, and random other places
                      HCG down to 7.2 10/28/08
                      1 X PVB 1/2/09-1/6/09
                      HCG 1.2

Comment

That is AWESOME John! Great work
                        Tracy
                        Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
                        Left I/O 12/31/10.
                        4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
                        1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
                        Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
                        Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

Thanks for spreading the word of self exams John!!!

I spoke at a local community college this last Thursday and was able to reach 100 young men. It was awesome. If we have to reach one at a time then that's what we'll do!!

~Mary Ann
                          CaregiverSon Josh 23yr Dx 3/5/08 IIIC NonSeminoma affected lung, kidney liver back & tumor/clots in vena cava & celiac artery 3/7/08 L I/O 3/30/08 PostOp surgery 4XEP (VP16 & Cisplatin) 3/12-5/25 LDH > 5000 & AFP 145 (3/5 pre-op) LDH 563 & AFP 4 (5/26 after 4Xchemo) off blood thinners 3/18/09 Surveillance per Dr E 8/4/08 *1/2012 ALL CLEAR!

Self 1/29/09 dx thyroid cancer metastasized to right lung 2/10 thyroid removd 4/17 rx RA131 5/11/10 &7/16/10. 1/12survellience

Comment

Here's the link to the story the news station did on Adam and I presenting to the high schoolers
                            sigpic
                            Diagnosed 4/17/08
                            HCG down to 7.2 10/28/08
                            1 X PVB 1/2/09-1/6/09
                            HCG 1.2

Comment

This is fantastic! Great work.

JPM
                              JPM

March 2011: Right I/O, Stage IA classic seminoma, 5.0 x 4.5 x 3.5 cm
                              May 2011: Single-Agent Carboplatin
                              Currently ALL CLEAR

Comment

Working...
                              X