Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    started a topic 2013 Team LIVESTRONG Rides

2013 Team LIVESTRONG Rides

Registration opened today for the Team LIVESTRONG Challenge in Davis and Philly (details are still being finalized for Austin) and for LIVESTRONG teams in the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic and RAGBRAI!
    • Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, Durango, CO - May 25-27, 2013
    • Davis - June 23
    • RAGBRAI - July 21-27
    • Philly - August 17-18

Details are posted here: http://www.livestrong.org/Take-Actio...NG-Events/Ride

After years of toying with the idea, I finally committed myself to RAGBRAI this morning, to recognize my tenth cancer anniversary in 2013!

I also set up the Cyclists Combating Cancer team in Philly and welcome anyone interested to join.

• Aegletes
    replied
    Recognizing our forum and its members past and present

I arrived at the LIVESTRONG Village on the campus of Montgomery County Community College on Friday afternoon and one of my first orders of business was to leave cards honoring the fight or remembering the lives lost of many people. I also put up this card in honor of our forum family members, past and present, who have had to fight this disease or help a loved one facing it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dfb993f75bb6455b4a328bdce50b572c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1814

I'm back home now after meeting up with many friends and meeting some new people, including two very kind and thoughtful people from LIVESTRONG itself. And a personal triumph for me was running a personal best on the 10K course in just under 48 minutes. I caught up with a few fellow TC survivors, including Joe from Already Balders, but regret that I won't see Scott and other riders I know when they set off on their bike rides on Sunday morning. The atmosphere was great and I had the sense of being surrounded by people who were truly committed to the core set of goals of the Foundation to help people at various stages of cancer treatment and survivorship. For anyone here who is looking for a way to transform the terrible experience of cancer into something more positive by doing something for others, LIVESTRONG very much is something they should consider. This is my sixth Philadelphia Challenge since my second TC diagnosis and the fact that I keep feeling drawn back every year to participate and to fundraise for the organization says a lot about its power to turn surviving cancer into something empowering. Very best wishes to everyone riding on Sunday!

Alex

Leave a comment:

• Pattytricia
    replied
    A little late with my support, but better late, right?? I will be there in spirit clapping you on, if not physically. Go team!

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Originally posted by millerjnm View Post
    I'll be in Philly Scott! See you there.
    That's right, of course you will! See you there, John.

Leave a comment:

• millerjnm
    replied
    I'll be in Philly Scott! See you there.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    You can support Alex, one of the Already Balders, or me for the Challenge this weekend -- or if you're near Philly, join us!

Will other forum members be there?

Leave a comment:

• Aegletes
    replied
    Originally posted by JPM View Post
    I'm showing a lot of rooms available -- you have to specify at least two nights, though. If you specify only one night, it does show up as "sold out."

John
    Apparently that's the case with the first four of them, all of which show no vacancies for one-night stays. It's a pity, as I think this is the first time such a requirement (two nights) has been in place. But at least there are other options further down the list. I'm looking forward to August already. Thanks for the link, Scott.

Leave a comment:

• JPM
    replied
    Originally posted by Aegletes View Post
    I tried with the default of 08/17 as well as 08/16. Both show the Double Tree as sold out.
    I'm showing a lot of rooms available -- you have to specify at least two nights, though. If you specify only one night, it does show up as "sold out."

John

Leave a comment:

• Aegletes
    replied
    I tried with the default of 08/17 as well as 08/16. Both show the Double Tree as sold out.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Originally posted by Aegletes View Post
    How odd that the Double Tree is already coming up as sold out.
    I'm seeing available rooms, with a two-night minimum stay. What did you enter as your check-in and checkout dates?

Leave a comment:

• Aegletes
    replied
    How odd that the Double Tree is already coming up as sold out. I don't recall it ever being sold out so far in advance of the Challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Philly Hotels

Any new takers for the Team LIVESTRONG Challenge Philly? You can ride, run, walk, or volunteer. Hotel reservation links are now posted.

Leave a comment:

• Already Bald
    replied
    The 2013 Already Balders

I think this is going to be a big year for our team. Come join!

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Excellent point, Fed!

The full run/walk list is available here, and there are even a couple of triathlons, too.

Leave a comment:

• Fed
    replied
    You can run for LIVESTRONG too!!!

In addition to the rides, LIVESTRONG has become an integral part of the "running" circuit. To that end, the Team LIVESTRONG Challenge Series now encompasses other events. For those of us who have caught the running bug, we now have the 2013 LIVESTRONG Austin Marathon and Half Marathon which will take place on February 17, 2013. As all the LIVESTRONG events, the experience is phenomenal. The course is challenging, but the run support is outstanding. I ran the course earlier this year, and I will be there again in 7 weeks to try for a half marathon PR. My favorite part of the course is mile 9, which is dubbed the "yellow mile" for obvious reasons. Plus, Austin is a fun town with a great music scene and lots of great food and you get to hang out at LIVESTRONG HQ. It is definitely an experience to remember.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X