Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible News from Scott Joy's Family

Dear Forum Friends,

It is with great sadness that I relay the news of the passing of Judy Joy, the beloved wife of our long time forum admin Scott Joy (Scott).

An excerpt from Scott's public posting on Facebook ( http://goo.gl/OJXQdW ):

Judith Bourassa Joy, 49, of Stratham, New Hampshire, died on Tuesday, November 12, 2013, following an all-too-brief battle with multiple myeloma, a blood cancer.

In addition to her husband and four children, family members include her brother Donald and wife Eileen of Tallahassee, FL; three sisters, Debby Herman and husband Pete of Apalachin, NY, Kathy Petersen and husband Dan of Augusta, ME, and Cindy Seaver and husband Benjamin of Andover, NH; and numerous nieces and nephews. Judy also loved the family cats Teddy and Toby, and had kept shetland sheepdogs and fish.

Visiting hours are Friday, November 15, from 6-8pm at the Stockbridge Funeral Home, 141 Epping Road, Exeter. A celebration of Judy’s life will be held at Stratham Community Church, 6 Emery Lane, Stratham, Saturday at 2pm. Burial will be in the Maple Lane Cremation Garden at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation or the Heifer Project.

All of us on the Mod Squad are shocked and devastated by this terrible news. Although not considered curable, multiple myeloma is normally treatable and manageable for years if not a decade or more. Judy's case proved to be an extremely aggressive one however, and her passing came just a few short months after diagnosis. Scott has been such a great source of support and a great role model to so many of us here, and one who has led by example. Too see something like this happen in Scott's family is unconscionable and a great tragedy.

Scott and his family could use every bit of support and prayers and positive energy that can be sent their way during this difficult time. And if you wish to make a donation to either the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, or to the Heifer Project, the links are below.

Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation: http://www.themmrf.org/ ( Direct tribute page here )

Heifer International: http://www.heifer.org/

God bless the Joy family.
    Last edited by S P; 11-15-13, 02:21 PM.
    Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
    April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
    www.stevepake.com
    Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
    My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
    C
    ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

My condolences go out to him and his family.
    My newer blog. I'll be using the one below from now on.
    http://jefflilland.blogspot.com/

Initial Diagnosis 04/15/2013 Stage 1b Non-Seminoma
    I/O 04/08/2013
    Second Diagnosis 09/19/2013 Stage 3 Non-Seminoma in the left lung
    3x BEP 09/25/2013-11/19/2013
    All Clear 11/26/2013

Comment

I am so very sorry.
      25yo son diagnosed 7-25-13
      Right I/O 7-31-13
      malignant mixed non-seminnomatous germ cell tumor w/invasion
      85% EC, 10% yolk sac & 5% mature teratoma
      Spread thru lymph nodes & lungs
      Started 3xBEP 08-05-13
      Pre-op AFP & bHCG in the 300's. After surgery rose into the 500's & 700''s.
      10-03-13 markers normal
      10-08-13 last day of chemo.
      Now under the care of Craig Nichols
      10-30-13 cat scan~ lungs are clear ~ one lymph node 1.4 cm
      RPLND 12-19-13~ teratoma found, no live cancer
      12-2014 all clear!
      07-2015 all clear!
      01-2016 all clear!
      07-2016 all clear!
      03-2017 all clear! (scan & bloodwork)

Comment

I am shocked and horrified. This is a tragedy. I wish we could do more than commiserate. Keep Scott and his family forever in your prayers.
        23 yr old son diagnosed Jul 2009
        Right I/O 5 days after ultrasound
        Stage III Non-Seminoma mixed 85% EC, 15% Yolk Sac and immature teratoma
        Mets retroperitoneal lymph nodes and lungs
        Began 4 X EP Aug 2009 Completed Oct 2009 Sloan Kettering
        Lung mets resolved, lymph node mets reduced to sub centimeter and markers normalized
        RPLND 11/20/2009 Dr. Sheinfeld, pathology 2 nodes positive for live cancer
        2 more rounds EP Jan 2010 - Mar 2010
        Surveillance at Sloan Kettering - ALL CLEAR TO PRESENThttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png

Comment

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved wife. May her memory be for a blessing.
          8/5/2013 - right I/O 8/20/2013 - classic seminoma (tumor size 5.5 cm confined to testis. No spermatic cord involvement. Lymph vascular invasion present.) 9/04/2013 - CT scan results - All clear http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...lies/smile.png 9/23/2013 - met with 2nd oncologist - stage 1B 9/26/2013 - dose 1 of 2 of carboplatin 10/17/2013 - dose 2 of 2 of carboplatin 11/15/2013 - follow up. Still anemic 11/27/2013 - thyroid ultrasound for pain in throat - all clear http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...lies/smile.png 12/2013 - throat pain dx as intubation injury and stomatitis

Comment

Still Stunned

Scott,
            I have had the good fortune of meeting you maybe 6 or 8 times over the years. We have had beers, coffee and gatoraid together. We once did a great thing for Danny- and got him to meet his hero before he ran out of time. I remember the very first time you posted on one of my threads here on the forum- you instructed me on how to PM someone because I couldn't figure out the damn code! You were all Admin then- you became friend, brother hero later.

I was on line, and remember when you had posted that your father had passed away. This was before the Facebook craze- and you were eloquent and classy in your straightforward post..Something like, "I thought it would be important for my forum family and friends to know that my father has passed away today". My jaw dropped! After all, we are the same age..

I remember seeing you take the microphone from Lance Armstrong, more than once, at functions. You spoke with passion about our wish to eradicate cancer, and I remember your words- they were meaningful.

I remember the friendly competition between our LiveSTRONG Teams as I was gaining traction and raised serious money in 2007- we were pretty evenly matched in May- then you went full throttle and totaly blew my doors off by August!

I remember when you rode your first Philly Century, 2009? Anyway, I know that Landis Hill nearly did you in.

I remember when we both entered our cycling jerseys into the Jersey Contest- and You beat me! (I still think mine was better and so did Natalie Seeboth! Ha!)

I remember your kindness when I announced thay my 7 year old son was diagnosed with malginant sarcoma. (He is doing fine now, he is sleeping, tired from the Cub Scout Pack Meeting eariler.)

Scott, I'm trying to forget 11/12/13. That is the day I learned that Judy had died.

I am so sorry.
            Joe
            Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
            Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
            The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

I love you guys, and I really appreciate your support and kind words. I can't believe it's been a whole week, and I can't believe it's been only a week. Things like this just aren't supposed to happen. But they do. And we have to pick up whatever pieces we can find and patiently discover a new way to put them together.
              Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
              right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

LoveStrong, Scott and Judy

Scott, there are no words to express the shock and sorrow felt with Judy's diagnosis and passing. You have always been a source of serene strength for those of us who came to this site, terrified and desparate. I pray that your strength and faith carry you through, and please know we love you are are here for you and your family.
                Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Joe's post really struck me in how it outlined the way you touched his life, Scott, in ways that very much reflect how you've touched my life and that of so many people in ways you might not even realize. Karen used the word serene and it's a perfect way to describe how you've come across here and in person. Your calm example of responding to something like cancer by taking action and doing something for others has certainly been an inspiration to me over the past five and a half years, something for which I am so grateful to you. It's an example of tenacity I hope to be able to follow even just a little.

Grief is unpredictable: there are bad moments and then there are better moments and they seem to come almost randomly. I hope in the bad moments that the wonderful memories you've made with Judy (and which nothing can ever take away from you) and the knowledge that so many people love and care about you all around the world will help you a little.

Yours,
                  Alex
                  TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
                  TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Our dear Scott - and his lovely family and beloved Judy. The sadness has put a pit in my stomach. I do not know if any of you have thought of something we can do, but I would like to circulate a card to Scott - rather than individual cards, what do you all think about starting a card that we send (quickly) from one person to the next? We have done this before, and it takes a few weeks to get a bunch of love/signatures written on the card, but it is a really sweet gesture from our community.

How it works is, someone starts the card, sends it to the next member, then to the next member, and so and on and so forth - then when filled we send to Scott this way one card has circulated the country and has many of our signatures and love on one card.

What do you guys think? Please let me know - emailing me directly is quickest james@tc-cancer.com.

I am so sad for Scott and his young children. I don't know what else to say. My prayers are with this very special man and his very special family. And may Judy rest in peace - she too was a wonderful person, a pillar of the community, a wonderful mother and friend.
                    James,
                    Stage IIIa Seminoma
                    4x BEP Completed 2/14/05
                    james@tc-cancer.com

Comment

Working...
                    X