• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiwi
    • Jul 2008

Site Challanges

Hi

Not visiting so often as its often frustrating with the performance especially when saving posts, it just seems to generally take a LOOONNNNGGG time to save stuff, it can vary and some times its way too long and I give up. Some time back when they were a lot of active members that site was very responsive but that seemed to change after is was attached by hackers and went off line for a couple of months plus had to be "upgraded". The site is accessed via Windows PC with Google Chrome Internet browser.

Other challenges
    * the time out when writing posts seems too short
    * I don't get any email notifications for subscriptions

>>>>>>>>>
    TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
    TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)
  • Davepet
    • Mar 2010

>I havd never encounted a "time out" while posting, but often get some error message about something not responding, IIIRC.
    >I only get email notifications on very old threads, never on any newer ones.
    > I've not noticed a long time to save posts, don't think I ever abandoned one.

I HAVE noticed that when a thread gets very long ( like "Newly Diagnosed Feedback Wanted" at 339 posts) it just won't load most of the time at all, no matter how long I wait. It loaded tonight for the first time in a month. Perhaps the mods could discourage folks from letting threads run on that long? Just a thought.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      • Apr 2008

Hi Kiwi and Davepet,

I have noticed that, especially if taking a while to post, that there will be a timeout type of error but my replies have always posted. It seems like it is just an annoying error that really isn't an error as I have not noticed losing any replies. Have you lost them during your errors? We have looked for a way to correct this but it has to do with the way the browser archives or creates cookies for the page and have not found a resolution except that we try to apply the newest patches when they come out in hoping that the platform itself will correct the errors.

I did notice that the "Newly Diagnosed Feedback Wanted" too a while to load but I also tried to open it in a new Chrome tab and it opened right away. I can have the tech people take a look at it and perhaps closing the topic so that more posts are not added is the answer.

As far as notifications there are some settings in your user profile (under notifications) that may have to be adjusted. I am subscribed to all of the forums and get emails when all posts are made, as a way to monitor for spam, and I haven't noticed any issues in getting the emails. Likewise, there is a subscription button on each topic that you can click too. If you are having an issue with a specific post, that you are not receiving the emails, then please let me know and perhaps there is an issue with the particular post.

I will admit that the vBulletin platform is not without it's issues overall. The option that we do have is to completely change the platform but that means 10,000 past users would have a learning curve on the new platform and we really have no idea what bugs that platform may have as well. It is something that we can consider but would definitely need a lot of volunteer help to address individual user issues with the new platform.

Mike
      Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
      06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
      06.26.06 Left I/O
      06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
      06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
      Surveillance...
      Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
      6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

• Davepet
        • Mar 2010

My settings in notifications are:
        Notifications "ON"
        Checked are
        "Subscribes"
        "Posts"
        "Votes'
        "Replies to your discussion"
        "Comments on your discussion"
        not checked are:
        "Confirms"
        "Likes"

See anything that needs to be changed?
        In the past all it took to subscribe to a discussion ( in this & every other forum I am on) was to post in that discussion, I do not see a setting to change that so is that no longer that case? Clicking a button up at the top of thepage after I post down at the bottom is not something I am likely to get used to. I have done so today on a few discussions & will let you know if it helps.

If you are considering a new platform, take a look at phpBB:
        phpBB is free and open source forum software that is easy to use, powerful, and highly customisable. Our community offers extensive support to end users.

It is free & open source, & used on most of the the forums I visit. It seems to run pretty much problem free & anyone gettin g around OK i this platform should have no trouble with it. If you are interested, I may be able to put you in touch with the operators of my Linux forum who have used it for years now.

Dave
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Kiwi
          • Jul 2008

I have checked my subscriptions settings from time to time and again before the above post They used to work before the system rebuild.

With the timeout - it is when taking a while to complete a post - I might start and then check some thing or find a link, and then get the error and need to log in again, returning to the thread the post would not appear but will then go to post and will get most of it back, but sometimes will just what the F and give up.

The long time in saving posts is the most frustrating. An we used to have a lot of people here when the system responded and wonder is the low number of active people here is related to this
          >>>>>>>>>
          TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
          TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

• Tarc79
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
            I have checked my subscriptions settings from time to time and again before the above post They used to work before the system rebuild.

With the timeout - it is when taking a while to complete a post - I might start and then check some thing or find a link, and then get the error and need to log in again, returning to the thread the post would not appear but will then go to post and will get most of it back, but sometimes will just what the F and give up.

The long time in saving posts is the most frustrating. An we used to have a lot of people here when the system responded and wonder is the low number of active people here is related to this
            I agree with Kiwi and others completely.
            Jan '11 - Stage IIIc, Mets in lungs and liver, abdo 7*7, pulmonary embolism
            Right I/O AFP 13,000, bHCG 110, Scrotal Hematoma, IVC Filter
            4*BEP AFP 20 end of 4*BEP
            May '11 - RPLND @ Indiana U - inferior vena cava dissected, necrosis, AFP<5
            Surveillance (blood & X rays) and all clear for 24 months
            April '13 - AFP 26 , went up to 46 in a week, Negative CT Scan, Ultrasound and head MRI
            4xTIP - almost normal AFP, but started rising again
            2 x HDC with Autologous Stem Cell Transplant - AFP almost normal but started rising again
            Lost kidneys, damaged liver, chirhosis, ascites 2 liters per day, dialysis 3 times per week, disabled
            2 Lung Wedge Resections -

Comment

• biwi
              • Jun 2015

What kind of hosting package is it? Perhaps it doesn't have enough DB oomph... These seem like symptoms of that.
              6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
              6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
              7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
              7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
              10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
              10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
              4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
              4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
              10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
              4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• Javan
                • Dec 2014

Mike. I feel like "Newly Diagnosed Feedback Wanted" takes longer than most, but it's also a very active and long thread. The volume it contains being the issue I think.

Comment

Working...
                X