Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worried_mom
    • Jul 2015

Meanwhile I also believe it's a genetic/DNA issue. Read so much on it. I am not aware of any health conditions in our family, tho. We're currently working on picking up pieces and getting back to normality. Although, TC is very rare, in the last 16 years, I encountered 4 men (one, unfortunately, my son) that had TC. My son also met a man at his work's last Christmas party that had TC 10 years ago. The important thing is that they are all cured now.
    Mother of Son (Son's date of birth: August 1987. Age at diagnosis 27, now 28)

1 July 2015: Son discovered small knot in left testicle, no pain. Waited and observed.
    10 July 2015: Appointment with urologist. ultrasound: 1.7 cm tumor, blood work: AFP - 1.62 (5.50), bHCG- <0.1 (<2.0), LDH159 U/l (135-225), 2.65 umol/s/l (2.25-3.75) .
    14 July 2015: Hospital, same diagnosis.
    15 July: 2015 l/O, Pathology: Stage 1A 100% Seminoma.
    16 July 2015: CT - Clear
    October 2015: Blood work - Normal range
    January 2016: Bloodwork - Normal Range
    Febuary 2016: CT - Clear

July 2016 - One year clear!!

Active Surveillance recommended by hospital Doctors, His Urologist .
    Via email by Dr. Nichols and Dr. Einhorn

Comment

• Cordova719
      • Feb 2016

I do have to add that my mother told me when I was 3 months old that she was giving me a bath and noticed my left testicle was bigger than the other and she asked a nurse about it and was told it was okay. So who knows. I'm going to play it safe and get off the muscle building supplements.
      Last edited by Cordova719; 03-21-16, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Davepet
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Cordova719 View Post
        I do have to add that my mother told me when I was 3 months old that she was giving me a bath and noticed my left testicle was bigger than the other and she asked a nurse about it and was told it was okay. So who knows. I'm going to play it safe and get off the muscle building supplements.
        I believe it's actually more common for one to be larger than the other than it is for them to be the same size. The same goes for any other organs we have a pair of.

Dave
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• Cordova719
          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Davepet View Post

I believe it's actually more common for one to be larger than the other than it is for them to be the same size. The same goes for any other organs we have a pair of.

Dave
          That's what initially made me believe my swollen testicle was all in my head, naturally being a hypochondriac for about a month and a half. It was the story of Tom Green, Lance Armstrong, and countless other testicular cancer survivor stories that stuck in my head and made finally go to the doctor on February 22.

Comment

• Davepet
            • Mar 2010

Well, I should have said *slightly* larger, I guess. About a year or so before my first TC I injured my testicle, it swelled up to nearly twice normal & never went all the way back to normal. I asked the doc about it during a routine physical & had my first I/O within the week.
            Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
            Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• thetaguru
              • Jul 2012

This is an interesting thread and medical studies. I did take creatine for a two years in high school but that was it. I had Stage IIB 100% EC and was told that I was basically "born" with TC even though I was not diagnosed until I was 31 so it's hard to determine cause and effect. Three years after TC, I am beginning to workout harder and am researching supplements to see which ones (if any) would have the least amount of risk for a TC survivor.
              Tom

6/28/12 - Diagnosed
              7/3/12 - Left I/O
              7/10/12 - 100% EC Stage IIa
              7/31/12 - 3xBEP Begin
              10/9/12 - All Clear

Comment

• JohanusEU
                • Aug 2014

I've been working out quite intensively prior to the treatment and was taking Creatine, Proteine and BCAACs. I've been told that it might been a trigger for TC. Now I am in remission, working out again but quite confused whether to use supplements or not.
                07 Aug 2014 - USG showed 5mm mass, bHCG: 6,45 AFP: 4,58
                08 Aug 2014 - left I/O surgery - NSGCT (70% Mature Teratoma, 30% Embryonal Carcinoma), pT1N0M0, no LVI invasion
                22 Aug 2014 - Markers after I/O: bHCG: 0,05 AFP: 3,40 - CT scan negative
                --- on surveillance ---

20 Oct 2014 - bHCG: 30 AFP: 8
                04 Nov 2014 -bHCG: 270 (!) AFP: 26, CT shown 2,5 x 1,5 cm para-aortic lymph node
                --- recurrence confirmed ---
                12 Nov 2014 - MRI of brain - clear, re-staged to IIB,
                3x BEP started, changed to 4x BEP
                08 Jan 2015 3x BEP finished (bHCG: <0,1 AFP: 4,88), 4th cycle cancelled
                21 Jan 2015 CT scan clear - para-aortic lymph node shrunk to 0,6 x 0,4 cm

--- on surveillance ---
                [2015 - all clear]
                [July 2016 bHCG:<0,1 AFP:3,24, MRI scan clear]

Comment

• Kiwi
                  • Jul 2008

There is nothing conclusive there - my research when this come up went - what ever - also talking to my Endo and Doc - they did not see any reason whey Creatine / protein should be used, Creatine is also an odd one where its a staple but there is yes and no on its effect, also some guys respond better than others - personally when I have cycled on this I have seen gains. My feeling would be it might be some of the crap / fillers that some cheaper brands may have in them if any thing. Remember there is stacks of stuff that has "links" to cancers. I would enjoy life and make gains. I also lean a bit to the line of research that goes along the lines of TC beginnings are before we are born.

Cheers
                  >>>>>>>>>
                  TC1: May 2001 / Right orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / Radiation
                  TC2: July 2008 / Left orchiectomy / seminoma stage 1 / X2 Prostheses / Reandron (long term Testosterone injections)

Comment

• jmb5026
                    • Nov 2014

There is no conclusive evidence. I still use supplements. I have hung around bodybuilders/athletes my entire life and I feel like I would've noticed an increase in TC occurrences in the community.

Comment

• randy455
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Az09 View Post
                      Found an interesting article(across multiple sites) that states taking bodybuilding supplements may increase risk of TC.

Links to articles :
                      Workout supplements containing creatine or androstenedione may increase risk of testicular cancer in the men who use them.

http://toptestosteroneboosters.org/ (mentioned safe testosterone boosters here)

Alot of people are claiming it to be B.S. Not sure how true this is, i for myself however used to take alot of supplements(creatine,whey,fat loss etc) and cant deny but to believe this. My risks of having TC was almost to NONE. (NON white, No history of undescended tc's or smoking cigarattes etc etc.) So i am really inclined to believe supplements may have played some role.

Thought of sharing with my fellas who are on same boat as a good knowledge for us and others.
                      I have been using supplements since years. All I can say is to do thorough research before we purchase. Not all supplements work well. We have to follow google trend, customer reviews from amazon, ebay, walmart etc... and then take the final step to purchase.

Comment

• NailFace
                        • Dec 2012

I'm not sure i qualify because I've used creatine for years, and whey and other protein products plus flax seed, green tea powder, literally every legal powder or potion. I also had double undecended testicles as a young guy. I agree with Profion, the world of convenience, microwave foods, oven ready dinners has caused this by putting chemicals they don't even have names for into your food. Doing what you think as healthy (training etc) doesn't protect you from these chemicals, pesticides, growing aids, green leaf enhancer they're everywhere. is buying organic enough now? i'm not sure
                        15/11/12: Lump found on right testicle.
                        16/11/12: Visit to GP, referred to urologist.
                        23/11/12: Consultation with urologist, blood taken markers normal apart from mildly raised LDH of 364.
                        24/11/12: Ultrasound confirms solid tumor.
                        28/11/12: CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis. Scan is clear.
                        30/11/12: Right IO, prosthetic testicle inserted.
                        17/12/12: pT1, 100% seminoma diagnosed.
                        Awaiting carboplatin treatment in Jan.

Comment

• biwi
                          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by NailFace View Post
                          I'm not sure i qualify because I've used creatine for years, and whey and other protein products plus flax seed, green tea powder, literally every legal powder or potion. I also had double undecended testicles as a young guy. I agree with Profion, the world of convenience, microwave foods, oven ready dinners has caused this by putting chemicals they don't even have names for into your food. Doing what you think as healthy (training etc) doesn't protect you from these chemicals, pesticides, growing aids, green leaf enhancer they're everywhere. is buying organic enough now? i'm not sure
                          Not to discount anything you said, but undescended testicles are one of the few things that increase your risk of TC compared to the general population. Diets effect has been studied and while unhealthy diets certainly lead to poorer physical health, eating pretty much anything off the shelf in a grocery store in moderation is not going to increase your cancer risk.
                          6/5/15: bHCG 27,AFP 8.66, LDH 361, 5.6cm lymph node - Stage IIC
                          6/16/15: Left I/O 85% EC, 10% chorio, 5% yolk sac opinion 2 (mayo) 90% EC, 10% yolk sac
                          7/7/15: bHCG 56, AFP 42, LDH 322
                          7/13/15: begin 4xEP, end 9/18/15
                          10/1/15: bloodwork normal, ct scan shows 2 lymph nodes 1.0cm
                          10/26/15: 2nd opinion on CT results - lymph nodes normal. Surveillance!
                          4/6/16: 1.7cm X 1.5cm lymph node found with markers normal.
                          4/20/16: RPLND @ IU - teratoma only!
                          10/22/19: all clears up to this date!
                          4/8/24: stopped monitoring something like 2 years ago, still all clear!

Comment

• NailFace
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by biwi View Post

Not to discount anything you said, but undescended testicles are one of the few things that increase your risk of TC compared to the general population. Diets effect has been studied and while unhealthy diets certainly lead to poorer physical health, eating pretty much anything off the shelf in a grocery store in moderation is not going to increase your cancer risk.
                            I know undecended testicles increase the risk, hence why i said i'm not sure i qualify due to having it in both testicles, my point was along the lines of what Profion was saying that modern diets increase the development of cancer and i have to agree.
                            15/11/12: Lump found on right testicle.
                            16/11/12: Visit to GP, referred to urologist.
                            23/11/12: Consultation with urologist, blood taken markers normal apart from mildly raised LDH of 364.
                            24/11/12: Ultrasound confirms solid tumor.
                            28/11/12: CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis. Scan is clear.
                            30/11/12: Right IO, prosthetic testicle inserted.
                            17/12/12: pT1, 100% seminoma diagnosed.
                            Awaiting carboplatin treatment in Jan.

Comment

Working...
                            X