Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PORT - inadvisable for blood draws?

Hello all
    I met with surgeon who told me better not get blood drawn from port as there is a greater risk that it will get blocked. Seemed to make sense that fluids going both ways in the catheter would increase the chance of blockage. I was a bit confused, as I had heard that others did "everything" from their port. Then again, I have read about blockages.
    I would appreciate any comments
    Thanks in advance
    Spok

I've never heard that before, however, they never used my port for draws anyway. I'm nt even sure if the phlebotomists would know proper access procedure.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

I think doctors and facilities have different views. At my local oncologist's office and hospital, they did the blood draws through my son's port all the time. When he went to IU for his RPLND, they would not do anything at all through the port. I asked why. I was told they feel it increases chance of infection and blockage.
      9/6/13 Left I/O. 18 year old son diagnosed 9/13/13 Stage 2C. Path report: embryonal and yolk sac with spermatic cord involvement and lymphatic invasion BEP x 3 finished 11/25/13. PC-RPLND with Dr. Foster at IU on 1/21/14. Found only dead cancer! Surveillance as of 1/23/14. All clear as of 5/2018.

Comment

Working...
      X