X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Chemo Open RPLND and Left I/O

My husband had his post chemo RPLND and Left I/O on Monday January 23,2017 (He was diagnosed with stage 2 C non-seminoma on July 2016). It is now Satuday, and we are still at the hospital. Yesterday he was given solid foods, but today he ate nothing as hes been super nauseous all day. He had dark green emesis and has been having loose stools. On Wednesday he started voiding and having bowel movements. His scrotum is super swollen and is probably bigger than a baseball. Hes naturally a very lazy and stubborn person, so getting him to walk and do his coughing exercise is really hard for me. (yesterday I broke down and yelled at him to try, and now I feel like horrible person). We also got a chest x-ray that says he has mild pleural effusion. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

New here as a mom to 17 year old. No experience, just offering support. It is stressful for caregivers & families. It is OK to lose it.
    Hope someone with similar experience can answer.
    Son Grant
    dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
    Post Chemo CT Scan on 3/28/17 still showed a few nodes over 2 cm
    2nd Post Chemo CT Scan on 4/27/17 showed all nodes still over 2cm
    Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

Thanks Trekga. How is Grant's Chemo going so far? Tharssan's scrotum size is the still the same ( no bigger or smaller). They gave him a one time dose of Lasix to see if you could pee, and that it might help him with the swelling. it's still the same. The surgeon is supposed to see him tomorrow

Comment

Hope the surgeon can help your hubby. My son did not have too much swelling post r/o. I did not take a look though, he just verbally said it was not swollen. He did mention phantom feelings for a few weeks post op where the missing testicle was.
        Thanks for asking about Grant. My husband is with him tonight- he is done day 3. I think he is becoming more tired-he napped earlier according to his dad.
        Son Grant
        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3
        Post Chemo RPLND 5/8/17: Periaortic Teratoma, Intraaorticaval Teratoma, and Paracaval Teratoma found.

Comment

The scrotal swelling is most likely a Hematoma. There's been a few members on this site who have had it happen....it's not too terribly uncommon. Either way the surgeon should be able to recommend something.

- Matt
          March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
          March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
          6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
          LDH never fully normalized
          Stage: IS
          Watchful Waiting
          May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
          May 12th: started 3xBEP
          Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
          July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
          August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
          September 4th: Port removed
          July 10th 2018: 4 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

I had hematoma after surgery and it's no biggie, no pain and it went away after a while. Just check with the doc!
            July 2016 - Left I/O
            December 2016 - BEPx3
            All clear for 1 year!

My Testicular Cancer Support Kit
            First Oncologist Visit Checklist
            3 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Chemo
            3 Reasons Why People Disappear From Your Life During Cancer
            Simplify Cancer Podcast

Comment

Hmmm...all sounds pretty familiar. I'll tell you that a big part of the challenge of the PC-RPLND for the patient is that you've already been beat down from the chemotherapy, and now you're ripped open completely for this. It's TOUGH. The PC-RPLND is the hardest thing I've ever had to get through physically.

Umm, scrotal swelling, yeah can be normal. They're pumping you full of fluids while you're not eating, plus then you have lymphatic fluid that's trying to figure out where it should be going with a bunch of lymph nodes just having been ripped out. It's not necessarily a hematoma. Could just be fluids from IV and/or lymphatic. I had scrotal swelling, and leg swelling, and everything swelling just from fluids. I actually had them turn the fluids down because it was getting to be ridiculous. I was so bloated that I couldn't even walk right anymore, because of edema in my legs and my thighs sticking together. It was so ridiculously uncomfortable, awkward, and I was in so much pain, too.

Pleural effusion can happen. That's why you need to get up and get moving no matter how ****ty you feel, because you can't just lay around all day. I'm pretty sure I had something about to happen in my lungs my last couple of days in the hospital, but luckily I was gaining movement and flexibility a bit, and was able to get up and start doing more laps. I just wanted to get the hell out of there, it was so miserable. On top of everything else, the hospital bed was so terrible for my back that I think I needed pain meds for my back just as much as for the RPLND surgery. Oh my God how nice it was to finally be home in my own bed!!!!!

The PC-RPLND is a struggle for everyone to get through, you just have to forcibly muscle your way through it. No you're not a bad person for yelling at him. I'm pretty sure my wife yelled at me at one point, too, but I was so loopy and out of it from the pain meds that I don't even know what she said. I was on Dilaudid initially which was terrible. I was so dizzy that I couldn't even stand up. Had to get switched off of that and on something else, and then I was able to start making very slowwwww forward progress.
              Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
              April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
              www.stevepake.com
              Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
              My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
              C
              ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

Reading this sure makes me feel better. He got discharged home on Monday January 30, with 10mg of Lasix for 3 days, and PRN Hydromorphone. The swelling in his scrotum has not gotten better but it has not gotten worse either. The surgeon on Monday showed him how to elevate his scrotum properly (turns out he's hasn't been doing it right so far .... -_-). I have him walking at least 5 mins every hour in our hallway. The swelling in his back is gone. The surgeon said to call him on Monday if his scrotum doesn't decrease or if his incision site still has bloody discharge. Some days it feel like we took one step forward and 3 steps back. I guess it is a slow process. I can't wait until this is all behind us.

Comment

Hang in there. Keep us updated on how your husband is doing.
                  Son Grant
                  dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

I'm curious, how did they diagnose non-seminoma in July but did not do the I/O until 6 months later?

Dsve
                    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
                    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
                      I'm curious, how did they diagnose non-seminoma in July but did not do the I/O until 6 months later?

Dsve

They based it on his tumor markers and CT scans

Comment

Learn something new about TC treatment everyday. How is your husband emotionally? 2 significant surgeries together...know that I keep you both in my thoughts. This AFTER chemo, correct?
                        Son Grant
                        dx 12/21/16 at age 17

BEP x3

Comment

Hey Vee,

my scrotum was also swollen like 4 time its normal size after my RPLND. My surgeon said it can happen and will disappear after time. Best thing to do is cooling it and put it on something so it can lay higher.
                          I am cooling it literally 24h and it gets a lot better! Today was the first time i didnt cool it for a while and it again become big and the pain is back.

That your husband doesnt want to move it sounds like the painkillers are not strong enough. Its very important to move a lot and doing deep breaths. i got extra breathtraining in hospital to avoid pneumonia, because you dont caugh with RPLND pain.

Best wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Trekga View Post
                            Learn something new about TC treatment everyday. How is your husband emotionally? 2 significant surgeries together...know that I keep you both in my thoughts. This AFTER chemo, correct?

yes this is after Chemo. Thank you Kelturas. His scrotum is a little less swollen today, and he's been able to walk a bit more. How are you feeling now?

Comment

Working...
                            X