X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movember?

Anybody heard of or done work with https://us.movember.com? A supportive friend heard of this and shared it with me when I was talking about my cancer journey. Just want to make sure it's legit and does good work.

Hi GD,

Movember is a great cause for male heath . Testicular cancer , Prostate cancer and mental health. Here is Australia alot of people grow their moustaches in the month of november hence the name movember and raise money for this great cause. Alot of public figures and businesses get involved. Even our trains and trams get a mouatache sticker to raise awareness. My partner has been raising money for the last few years through movembee after his diagnoses and we get updates all year round of what the money raised has been spent on .

Comment

I do not get it,I've had a stash from my early 20's until chemo at 55 & grew it back as soon as I was able about 10 years ago. How exactly is this a "thing"?
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Haha not sure exactly but your meant to start november clean shaven and people donate to grow moustaches. I guess its just a way to create awareness and it gets people talling about testicular cancer prostate cancer and mental illness for men gets talked about and in the public eye. 11 years 600 million has been raised and about 75% of that goes to help funding and research worldwide. You have fun with it and have groups going with mates on who grows the best moustache and raises the most. . I thought this was global didnt release wasnt so big internationally. You could raise alot of money is aus with that mostache dave in movember !!!

Comment

Movember does do some great things but you need to pay attention to what country you are in to figure out where the money goes. For example, in the US half used to go to the Prostate Cancer Foundation and half to LIVESTRONG (great organizations but neither were using any funding specifically for testicular cancer). In Canada, it was all going to prostate cancer. In Australia, they switched and were giving it all to a mental health organization. Again, they are doing great things but I've never been impressed with what they have done specifically for testicular cancer as it has been very little really. I used to have conversations with them about their messaging but gave up years ago. I've also been waiting about a decade to get information on their calls for funding proposals and have never received any.

Mike
          Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
          06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
          06.26.06 Left I/O
          06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
          06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
          Surveillance...
          Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
          6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Thats really good to know Mike as my partner tries every year to raise money as its a pretty big deal in australia.Might be worth looking into another organisation to donate to.

Comment

All excellent points. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Emj View Post
                Thats really good to know Mike as my partner tries every year to raise money as its a pretty big deal in australia.Might be worth looking into another organisation to donate to.
                What they fund with money they raise from each country seems to change a bit so my suggestion is to just look into it if that is important for you. With that said, again, they do some awesome things and did fund some genetic studies in the UK and the Tiger Trial worldwide, that are specific to testicular cancer. Not to mention that even in TC survivors, the mental health aspects are important. It would just be easier if their messaging was a bit more straight forward in my mind.

Mike
                Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
                06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
                06.26.06 Left I/O
                06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
                06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
                Surveillance...
                Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
                6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Working...
                X