Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Andy had to be opened up twice, I think his scar healed pretty nicely. I'll see if he'll let me photograph it...although, he's pretty furry (like a Yeti, Sasquatch, Bigfoot - and really, he does have big feet ) so you might not be able to even see the scar.
    Maria
    *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
    *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
    *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Originally posted by Already Bald
      Scott,
      Thanks for formatting this file so I can upload it.
      It's not pretty friends, but this is a shot of my RPLND while I was still at MSKCC. As many of you know, I went on to take 4xEP, and rode in the Philly Challange that year. It just goes to show you that we CAN recover from the RPLND- it was much more frightening leading up to the surgery.

I'll work on getting an updated picture, so you can see how the scar healed up. (Oh, and the hair came back- remember my funny shaving story??)

Joe

I found an updated picture that shows how nicely the scar has healed.
      This is an action shot, and it's kinda difficult to see the scar, but it shows you niether the RPLND, Chemo- or cancer for that matter has slowed me down!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Already Bald; 03-07-08, 02:18 PM.
      Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
      Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
      The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Funny, your scar looks an awful lot like a big fish, Joe.
        Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

Just how far uh, down does the scar extend? To the level of the orchi scar or (shudder) lower?

PS: Nice trout scar. You might want to see a chef for that...
          Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

Sorry about the fish

Originally posted by Scott
            Funny, your scar looks an awful lot like a big fish, Joe.
            I know Scott- I needed to add a little levity to my day, And where else can I have some fun but with my forum family?

I know the meaning of your thread is that the RPLND scar heals and fades over time. Also, we hope that new guys are not intiminated by RPLND based on pictures they may see online. They shouldn't be, it is a lifesaving procedure.
            We've all heard of just a few rough cases, and at least one re-do, but we have all made it through okay. It was easier than chemo, for sure.

Besides, I'm ashamed to show you my winter fat, maybe I can be talked into modeling my belly-button during the Philly Challange.

Oh, and Yes- that was one hell of a fine fighting fish!
            Taste good, too!
            Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
            The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Hi Joe! Great picture...I'm a lousy fisherman. The times we've gone out, I've never caught a thing!!!

I hope I attach these photos properly. Okay, so the only "catch" that I'm sending a photo of is Andy. And NYC Russ, Andy's scar is about 10 1/2" in length, past and around his belly button (but it doesn't go down to the orchi scar...hope that helps you breathe a little easier.)

The first image post-surgery was after the laparotomy (after the RPLND)...a little gruesome with the JP drains still sewn to him, but the staples were out by this time.

The second image (and I've given fair warning about the furry-ness) is of Andy from the other night (not even quite one year post-surgery). You can hardly see the scar.

The third photo is of the other furry creatures in my life.
              Attached Files
              Maria
              *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
              *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
              *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

Originally posted by MRMRSU
                Hi Joe! Great picture...I'm a lousy fisherman. The times we've gone out, I've never caught a thing!!!

I hope I attach these photos properly. Okay, so the only "catch" that I'm sending a photo of is Andy. And NYC Russ, Andy's scar is about 10 1/2" in length, past and around his belly button (but it doesn't go down to the orchi scar...hope that helps you breathe a little easier.)

The first image post-surgery was after the laparotomy (after the RPLND)...a little gruesome with the JP drains still sewn to him, but the staples were out by this time.

The second image (and I've given fair warning about the furry-ness) is of Andy from the other night (not even quite one year post-surgery). You can hardly see the scar.

The third photo is of the other furry creatures in my life.
                Wow Maria, you really can't see it. I knew chest hair had a purpose!
                Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
                Current DVT
                Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret
                  I knew chest hair had a purpose!
                  I always wondered...now I know!
                  Maria

Comment

Not sure that this is really one you want to be leading with, but hopefully, in a few months from now, the "after" pic will make a nice followup:
                    http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4015/rplnd508zu2.jpg
                    (I have the full shot but not sure if anyone really wants to see, in the immortal words of Borat, "my pubis".)

PS: Geez, it sure seems like everyone else's incisions were made using rulers and straightedges. Mine looks like it was made with a butterknife in the dark

{edit}
                    As promised, here's the "after" - 6 months to the day:
                    http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6mo1108rp7.jpg
                    Last edited by NYC Russ; 11-08-08, 07:06 PM. Reason: Don't want to scare anyone off of the surgery
                    Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by NYC Russ
                      (...)PS: Geez, it sure seems like everyone else's incisions were made using rulers and straightedges. Mine looks like it was made with a butterknife in the dark
                      Well, at least it doesn't meander like the Mississippi. Considering how recent your surgery was, it looks like it's healing well. How are you feeling?
                      TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
                      TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Well, this answers a question for me. This is the same incision that Jerry had for his "surgical biopsy". Wish they could have gotten the "stuff" out when they had him opened....

Same incision. Same "S" turn around the belly button.

If for some reason the EP doesn't do the trick..........it is not going to be pretty if they have to do surgery.......he'd have two such scars.

*sigh*

Comment

Anybody else ready to donate an "after" photo, showing an RPLND scar long after it has finished healing?
                          Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
                          right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

Scott,
                            This was such a great idea! I have seen that awful picture of the RPLND incision and it scares me to death. My husband cannot even look at it.
                            Thanks to all who were so kind in sharing the photo's of their scars.
                            I have been really nervous this week in anticipation of Michael's RPLND next week. These help. Especially the ones completely healed!
                            Debbie
                            01/14/08 Right I/O 8.6 cm
                            Teratoma 75%, Seminoma 25%, yolk sac <5%, adenocarcinoma <5% AFP 342.40
                            02/14/08 Surveillance
                            07/05/08 CT abdomen ? 1.7 cm nodule LLL
                            07/10/08 CT chest 1.7 cm nodule LLL
                            07/17/08 VATS left wedge resection 1.8 cm, metastatic teratoma with somatic spindle cell sarcoma, yolk sac, embryonal
                            09/08/08 Dr. Einhorn: Stage III, enlarged abd. lymph nodes.
                            10/16/08 RPLND Dr. Foster-neg nodes-surveillance

Comment

How weird. I was just thinking of this thread yesterday. My wife had made a passing comment that the scar was healing nicely and not nearly as scary as it was in the beginning. I figured I'd wait another month to take an "after" shot and merge it with the "before" pic as it is a pretty striking difference, particularly after only 5 months.

To be honest though, I'm going to cheat these next 30 days and start using the Vitamin E cream daily again. (And maybe do a few thousand sit ups ).
                              Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by mikes mom View Post
                                ...I have been really nervous this week in anticipation of Michael's RPLND next week...
                                Debbie
                                Debbie,
                                I will be thinking about Michael, and your family next week.
                                I have every confidence that the RPLND will go smoothly- We have read about dozens- even hundreds on these forums, and some have had complications but ALL have come through okay.
                                MSKCC enforces a nearly fat free diet for 2 weeks post surgery, this is something you may wan to ask about if you are not already educated on it.
                                Best,
                                Joe

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
                                The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

Working...
                                X