• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Already Bald
    • Nov 2006

RPLND Scar and Hernia

No more Fishy Business!
    Here are photos taken this morning of the scar, 29 months post RPLND.
    Also, a side shot of the hernia, 2 days prior to that repair.
    Joe
    Attached Files
    Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
    Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
    The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• Mrs Moggi
      • Feb 2008

Why do I suddenly have this song running through my head - "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my navel..."
      Husband dx Jan 08, Age 43
      CT and markers clear
      Right I/O Jan 31 08
      100% Seminoma, contained to testicle
      17 days RT finished 3/27/08

Comment

• boyce
        • Jan 2007

Where do we stuff the dollar bills Joe???
        Stage III Non-Seminoma- 7/11/06
        Right I/O 7/12/06
        Completed 4x BEP 11/06
        Bi-Lateral RPLND (Dr. Shenifeld)- 11/27/06
        Surveillance since then

When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell.
        Lance Armstrong.

Comment

• AdrianE
          • Oct 2008

Wow, I had no idea that the surgery required such a large incision! I suddenly don't feel so proud of my itty bitty I/O scars. Thanks very much for posting everyone.
          Diagnosed Bilateral TC August 2008
          Left I/O August '08, Stage I Teratoma
          Right I/O November '08, Seminoma
          Surveillance- All Clear Nov '09
          Testosterone Cypionate TRT

Comment

• Aegletes
            • Mar 2008

I know what you mean, Adrian. I remember going to my first appointment at Sloan-Kettering and was so nervous, having seen some of the RPLND photos and heard the stories. The first thing I asked Dr. Bosl: "Am I going to need an RPLND if I relapse?" Looking back, I must have sounded like such a wimp.
            TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
            TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

• Already Bald
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mrs Moggi View Post
              Why do I suddenly have this song running through my head - "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my navel..."
              Jen,
              The nurses removed the bandage today- I was wondering- I have a big formal dance coming up...
              Do you think I can borrow your diamond studded BELLY BUTTON Jewelry?
              I'm still an inny!
              Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
              The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• Mrs Moggi
                • Feb 2008

So I guess this puts you out of the running for sexiest man alive? Although I'm sure that Majbritt might argue differently.

Glad to hear that everything went well and I hope that this is the last time your family sees the inside of a hospital for a very long time. Surveillances excluded of course.
                Husband dx Jan 08, Age 43
                CT and markers clear
                Right I/O Jan 31 08
                100% Seminoma, contained to testicle
                17 days RT finished 3/27/08

Comment

• Already Bald
                  • Nov 2006

RPLND Hernia Repair Photo

Here is a picture of the repair 4 days post-op.
                  Attached Files

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
                  The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• starjayroman
                    • Nov 2008

Already Bald,
                    Thats scary. They do that to everyone who has to get one of these? My man is going to have an RPLND in about a month and he already has a huge scar like the ones shown here from having his appendix removed back in 1980. I loved it, the scar. I have one too from having my spleen taken out at 4 years of age. Still that picture is scary. You didn't go home like that did you??
                    Diagnosed Mixed Germ Cell tumor Carcinoma and classic seminoma StageIIC 6*8cmbulky June 26-08
                    Left I/O June 26-08 4*BEP July-08-Sept-08
                    Mets to Abdomin/chest,
                    Stage III, , 6*8 cm Jul 08
                    Markers normalized Nov08, residual tumor 3*2cm in abd. 13mm in chest. Spinal Stenosis,Neuropathy RPLND feb 09
                    Found all three: Cancer, teratoma and scar tissue
                    10/09 B-HCG up to 39.90, recurrent TC, 2*VIP 12/09, TI started 05/11/2010, stem cell infusion 5/18/2010 day of rebirth
                    08/10 all clear

Comment

• MRMRSU
                      • Jun 2007

Oh those JP drains bring back some memories! Did you go home with those Joe?
                      Maria
                      *Hubby Andy diagnosed 02/13/07, Left IO 02/16/07 *Stage 1A Non-Seminoma (65% Immature Teratoma / 35% Embryonal Carcinoma) *RPLND 04/27/07 Lymph Nodes-ALL CLEAR
                      *Complications from Chylous Ascites so Laparotomy 05/03/07 *No food for 10 weeks, TPN only *07/18/07 Removed drains, tubes, picc line *CT Scan 07/31/07-ALL CLEAR
                      *CT Scan 02/12/08-ALL CLEAR *Hydrocele surgery 06/19/08 *CT Scan 9/30/08 and 03/06/09 shows <cm left lung nodule - under surveillance

Comment

• Already Bald
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by starjayroman View Post
                        You didn't go home like that did you??
                        Yes,
                        Star- I did go home with those drains. I hope to have them removed on Tuesday in a post-op clinic visit. Last week I had a VERY RARE RPLND Complication (Hernia)- and what you see is the repair of an incisional hernia. My actual RPLND was more than two years ago.
                        It looks a lot worse than it feels, Getting stronger each day. I'll be ready to play Santa again by Christmas!

Don't let the surgery scare you- He will do great provided he has an experienced surgeon, and good nurses during the hospital stay- (This is where you can help- be his advocate in the hospital).

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
                        The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• Scott
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2003

This photo from six days after surgery was sent by e-mail, with a promise for follow-up shots down the road.

I promise I'll get some of these posted on the RPLND page of this website soon. If you're willing to submit more "long after" shots, they'll be appreciated.
                          Attached Files
                          Scott
                          right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• starjayroman
                            • Nov 2008

Those staples look scary. I worry about the staples not keeping him together when he gets home, I worry about our 10 year old 120 pound boy jumping on him and causing problems. I worry about the complications because he already has been opened up 29 years ago and are they going to open him up in the same spot or do another scar? Are they going to take his kidney? Do I want to see him hooked up to all that crap again but worse then when he was in ICU last time? What about the neck surgery afterwards? What if he has to have the one in his chest come out? What if they find more cancer? Will he need more chemo? What if its all good and the cancer comes back next year, the year after that, the year after that? What if the spinal stenosis paralyzes him? What if they screw up during any of these surgeries? What if he gets TC in the other testicle? What if?? What if?? What if he dies?? What if? The what if's drive me crazy. I don't want to think about them but they are there whether I acknowledge them or not. Sorry for going on, on this thread yet I still worry obsessively, what if? What if our son gets TC, he had undesended testicles when he was a baby? Enough.
                            Diagnosed Mixed Germ Cell tumor Carcinoma and classic seminoma StageIIC 6*8cmbulky June 26-08
                            Left I/O June 26-08 4*BEP July-08-Sept-08
                            Mets to Abdomin/chest,
                            Stage III, , 6*8 cm Jul 08
                            Markers normalized Nov08, residual tumor 3*2cm in abd. 13mm in chest. Spinal Stenosis,Neuropathy RPLND feb 09
                            Found all three: Cancer, teratoma and scar tissue
                            10/09 B-HCG up to 39.90, recurrent TC, 2*VIP 12/09, TI started 05/11/2010, stem cell infusion 5/18/2010 day of rebirth
                            08/10 all clear

Comment

• dadmo
                              • Oct 2004

Everyone one of those what if's is reasonable but just take them one day at a time and you'll be pleasently surprised to see them start to go away.
                              Last edited by dadmo; 01-20-09, 11:14 PM.
                              Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• Fed
                                • Dec 2006

The "what if" speculation boils down to not being able to control what happens. When it comes to medical stuff, it is what it is, and all you can do is take things as they come and manage them accordingly. Something did stand out in your post:
                                Originally posted by starjayroman View Post
                                What if our son gets TC, he had undesended testicles when he was a baby?
                                Cryptorchidism (undescended testicles) does increase the risk of the development of germ cell tumors, but as with all medical statistics, these are odds and not a guarantee that a germ cell tumor will develop. The best you can do for your son is, when the time comes, to educate him on how to do self exams and be aware of everything that goes on with him.
                                "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                                11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                                12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Working...
                                X