X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet safety and privacy - a reminder

This is just a reminder to all of our members regarding internet safety and privacy.

These forums are in the public domain and are visible to anyone with internet access, as well as internet search engines. Posting email addresses, home addresses, and phone numbers makes this information available to the world.

Exchanges of such personal information are best made through private messaging.
    Fish
    TC1
    Right I/O 4/22/1988
    RPLND 6/20/1988
    TC2
    Left I/O 9/17/2003
    Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Fish,

Thank you for posting this, I've meant to post similar concerns recently. It is very tempting to be open and discuss all details amongst our tight knit family, but names, phone numbers, personal info, are best left to PMs. Anyone can access these forums, and cancer patients are generally targeted for identity theft, for many many reasons.

Be careful, please

djm (not my real name)
    Detected mass 10-6-06, Radical left I/O 10-10-06, Stage I seminoma, 1.5 cm primary, No LV invasion, No Rete Testis Invasion... Currently on Surveillance.

Comment

Google has found me

Fish,

I agree with djm. I've just Googled my username and it came up on the second page of results with a link through to this site. Given I've only been a member for a couple of weeks, Google has found me here a lot quicker than I would have expected. For my sins, IT security is part of my job, so I often keep a few checks on what has been picked up about me!

So folks, big brothers (Google, Yahoo, etc) are keeping track of what is happening, so be careful.

Jon
      Jon
      Left orchiectomy May 2008, AFP 1600, βHCG 200and normal after 5 months (AFP4, βHCG<1)
      Non-Seminoma stage 1 - Under surveillance
      3 years on and still all clear

Comment

Yup...just look at "who's online" and you can usually see 20 or so crawlers/spiders.
        Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

So the good news is that the site is text heavy which means that it will come up for a lot of searches under a lot of different terms that people may need information on. It was through google after all that I found this site.

However, it also means that everything that you type here can be picked up by google. Good if you're writing 'how i dealt with testicular cancer' - we come up as the 5th unpaid search. Bad if your writing your full name and number.
          Husband dx Jan 08, Age 43
          CT and markers clear
          Right I/O Jan 31 08
          100% Seminoma, contained to testicle
          17 days RT finished 3/27/08

Comment

The good news is that I put my phone number out there for those that need help and I may reach a much wider audiance then our TC site does. As a note of caution please don't post your phone number keep it to a PM. I admit to being very foolish.
            Last edited by dadmo; 08-05-08, 05:39 AM.
            Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

There is concern on the part of several members about the "spiders and crawlers and bots, oh my" (to quote Fish)! If any members are concerned about privacy you can go back and edit your own posts to delete names or locations or photos that you think may identify you when you don't want to be identified. I did that, but it turns out my posts remained as an unedited snapshot in the google cache.

There's a whole lot of members here that maintain anonymity...you just need to be mindful of what you post. PMs are not crawled by the search engines and remain private and a good way for members to communicate as well.

Karen, from New Jersey
              Last edited by Karen; 08-04-08, 09:15 PM.
              Retired moderator. Husband, left I/O 16Dec2005, stage I seminoma with elevated b-HCG, no LVI, RTx15 (25Gy). All clear ever since.

Comment

Working...
              X