X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Margaret
    • Jan 2007

Boyce and I have some news

Sad story but I beg you, no pity please.

My sister has been struggling for 20 years (and yes she is only 37 years old) with drug and alcohol addiction. The last few months have been difficult for my family and after 3 stints in rehab, hundreds of AA and NA meetings, love, support, prayers and tears...she has turned to shooting up cocaine.

On Monday, she signed over custody of her daughter to Boyce and I. So our family has grown. Never did I dream that this would be God's plan for me.

I am sharing this with my family here because you all matter to me and I want to include you in our lives.

So, it's a girl. And no, I could not convince my husband to throw me a baby shower.
    Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
    Current DVT
    Current testosterone replacement therapy, Testim.

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum
  • Jay68442
    • Jul 2007

Hi Margaret,
    I'm sorry to hear about your sister's struggles. I hope she finds a way to straighten her life out.

The most important thing here is that this child receives the love and care she deserves. And all of us here know you and Boyce will provide that love. Good luck you to.
    How old is she?

Jason
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan
    If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. ~ Bruce Lee
    Please sponsor me for the 2011 LiveSTRONG Challenge Philadelphia.
    My Blog

Diagonosed 1988. Left I/O - 3 rounds of chemo
    Relasped 1989. RPLND - 3 rounds HDC - Bone Marrow transplant.
    There is Army Strong, There is Live Strong and then there is me. Crazy Strong

Comment

• Mrs Moggi
      • Feb 2008

I'm very sorry for the circumstances but so happy that this little girl will be a part of the love of your family. You know the saying, when a door closes, a window opens. And I can't help but to think that that window is just what your family - your sister, her daughter and you, Boyce and Allen - needed.
      Husband dx Jan 08, Age 43
      CT and markers clear
      Right I/O Jan 31 08
      100% Seminoma, contained to testicle
      17 days RT finished 3/27/08

Comment

• Margaret
        • Jan 2007

she is 13. Thanks for the warm wishes
        Co-survivor with husband Boyce, Diagnosed 7-11-06, orchiectomy right testicle on 7-12-06- Stage 3A: Mixed germ cell tumor with inguinal seminomatous and kartotypic carcinoma. One tumor over 10 cm, second tumor 4 cm, Chemo 4xBEP: Bi-lateral RPLND Dec 2006, nerve sparing but left sterile.
        Current DVT

"You must abandon the life you planned, to live the life that was meant for you" ~wisdom I have learned from my family on this forum

Comment

• Paul54
          • Oct 2007

M&B,
          We are very sorry to hear about your sister. Many of us have had to deal with unfortunate problems like this. You are angels for accepting this hyper critical responsibility, which I'm sure you will fulfill with all the strength and compassion you show for each other and Allen. Your niece has hit the love lottery.
          "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
          Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

• Fish
            • Sep 2005

I'm very sorry to hear of your sisters struggle and I hope she finds her way back. Addictions, like cancer, steal so much joy from the lives of those involved.

I don't think your niece could have found a more loving, caring home than with you and Boyce. I'm so glad she had the two of you to turn to.

Love and prayers,
            Fish
            Fish
            TC1
            Right I/O 4/22/1988
            RPLND 6/20/1988
            TC2
            Left I/O 9/17/2003
            Surveillance

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will; to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

• Margaret
              • Jan 2007

This has come at a funny time of year. We are all done shopping for gifts for Allen and now we have this blond hair, blue eyed beauty and Santa is coming and I don't want her treated any differently than Allen. She is ours now and I want her to feel that she belongs.
              Current DVT

Comment

• dadmo
                • Oct 2004

Lemonade from lemons. You guy's are great .
                Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• Smartie
                  • Mar 2006

Margaret and Boyce.

I'm sorry to hear about you sister's battle and recent setback.

Your niece couldn't be in better hands.
                  Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
                  August 2001: Right I/O .
                  August - December 2001: Surveillance .
                  December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
                  December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
                  Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

• TCLEFT
                    • Jul 2004

I've come to realize that in many cases, there truly is a light at the end of the tunnel. I've come to realize that I can put names and faces to the light's source. This seems to be coming from a southerly direction. You two are just outstanding!
                    Much Love,
                    Mark
                    I Love My Pack!

sigpic

Comment

• WilliamCT
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Paul54 View Post
                      Your niece has hit the love lottery.
                      This sounds about right to me. I hope your sister can turn things around one day.
                      Jan08 Right I/O >> surveillance >> Apr-Jun08 chemo 3xBEP >> back on surveillance

Comment

• emilyalex
                        • Oct 2006

Margaret - I am sorry to hear of your sister's troubles.

What a blessing for you and Boyce. She is indeed a lucky young lady to be brought into your loving home!

Emily
                        sigpic Husband diagnosed 10/19/2006. EGCT, with mets to lung, brain, lymph nodes and liver, 4XBEP finished 12/25/2006. Began HDC 2/12/2007 at IU. HDC failure 5/07. Husband passed away 7/14/2007.

Comment

• Jay68442
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
                          My sister has been struggling for 20 years (and yes she is only 37 years old) with drug and alcohol addiction. The last few months have been difficult for my family and after 3 stints in rehab, hundreds of AA and NA meetings, love, support, prayers and tears...she has turned to shooting up cocaine.
                          My mother went down that road. When I was 3 she lost custody of us and we went to live with my grandparents. When I was around 6 she regained custody only to lose it again when I was 14. But it worked out for me because if I remained in her care I probably wouldn’t received the care I needed when I was 16. Life has a real strange way of working itself out.
                          If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan
                          If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. ~ Bruce Lee
                          Please sponsor me for the 2011 LiveSTRONG Challenge Philadelphia.
                          My Blog

Diagonosed 1988. Left I/O - 3 rounds of chemo
                          Relasped 1989. RPLND - 3 rounds HDC - Bone Marrow transplant.
                          There is Army Strong, There is Live Strong and then there is me. Crazy Strong

Comment

• Aegletes
                            • Mar 2008

A story that hits close to home...

Margaret, you and Boyce are incredible. Sadly, I can relate all too well with having a sister with a substance abuse problem. My sister didn't make it but I hope and trust that yours does and goes on to recover and lead a good healthy life. But your sister did the right thing, rather than thinking she could be a mother to her daughter in these circumstances. Your niece is so fortunate that you and Boyce have opened your home to her. I hope she recognizes the warmth, support and love you will provide and that she will regain some semblance of peace and stability. You two are heroes.
                            TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
                            TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

• Fed
                              • Dec 2006

Margaret and Boyce,

It is very unfortunate that your sister has encountered these problems; however, like others have said, your niece will be in a place full of love and care.

Fed
                              "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                              11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                              12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Working...
                              X