X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multifocal tumours

My tumour was a seminoma. It was multifocal - in other words there were a bunch of little tumours / nodules within the testicle. Some of them were clearly separate from others.

I was wondering if this is a particular feature of seminoma. Did anyone else on here have multifocal tumour?

Just curious.
    July 2010 Stage one seminoma, 4.8cm. Rete testis invasion. HCG 28.
    Sept 2010 Single dose carboplatin (AUC x 7)
    Dec 2010 Tumour markers normal.
    Mar 2011 Follow-up CT scan - clear.
    Sept 2011 CT and CXR - clear.

I actually had multifocal seminoma (check out my signature). My diagnostic scrotal ultrasound showed four masses, but the orchiectomy specimen showed only three, two of which were completely necrotic and one where an 0.8 cm mass was still "alive and kicking". I asked my oncologist about the implications of having a multifocal seminoma, and he said that while multifocality is more common in mixed germ cell tumors, it had no implications on prognosis despite being rare. Right now I am almost four years out, and I am still all clear .
    "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
    11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
    12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Thanks Fed. I wonder if the individual masses all arise from the same tumour or if they are discrete tumours. If they are discrete perhaps there is some environmental trigger that sets them all off at the same time.
      July 2010 Stage one seminoma, 4.8cm. Rete testis invasion. HCG 28.
      Sept 2010 Single dose carboplatin (AUC x 7)
      Dec 2010 Tumour markers normal.
      Mar 2011 Follow-up CT scan - clear.
      Sept 2011 CT and CXR - clear.

Comment

I have searched exhaustively for information on this subject. My tumors (seminoma) were 3x1.8x1.8 and 1.5x1.5x1.5. Together, they are lager than 4cm..so am wondering if this qualifies as a risk factor. Also, the path report says the tumors "invade the soft hilar tissue"...I cannot find any info on this either.
        I am about a month and a week post I/O and am still trying to decide what to do. Having pains in my lower abdomen (both sides) I scheduled my own bloodwork which has come back negative..at least the LDH and HGC. AFP not in yet.
        Any thoughts?
        TIA!

Comment

Shaun had 2 tumours -- one Seminoma and one Non-Sem. Each 2cm. Mrmahi, good question about whether, in the case of multi-focal, size is a combo of all tumours or not!
          Husband Shaun diagnosed March 2010. AFP 4571, HCG 3340.
          6cm x 6cm x 8cm retroperitoneal mass + 1cm nodule in right lung.
          Stage IIIb, Intermediate Risk.
          Left I/O March 9/10: 75% EC, 20% Teratoma, 5% Yolk Sac + Seminoma.
          3xBEP + 1xEP March 15 - May 21/10: markers normal.
          Bilateral RPLND July 28/10: 9.5 x 7 x 4.5cm mass, teratoma only.
          Chylous Ascites Aug/Sep.
          November 2012 All Clear
          Continuously monitoring 0.9 x 1.7cm omental nodule (possible fat necrosis)

www.teamshaun.wordpress.com

Comment

I had a multi-focal seminoma staged at 1A as well. Similar to Fed's story almost to a T. Sizes, and amount of foci varied. Been all clear as well since.

I find that since my surgery, I've had a nerve in my groin flair up. I do a lot of heavy lifting, but when this pinched nerve began to first start hurting, I panic'd and figured the second one was turning on me. I occasionally get some discomfort down there, but it's not cancerous. I also noted that I tend to baby my groin a bit more now. In doing so, I use my abs for a lot more situations. Probably better that way. Yet, I don't get leverage or anything, or push my groin up against anything, when applying force. I instead use my lower abs. It tends to make them hurt, or feel slightly odd.

Again I realize that lower abdomen pain is a sign of possible cancer on the lymph nodes, but keep in mind that chronic back pain, is too, and we all know how common that can be. You're fresh out of surgery and pain is definitely to be expected.

I just realized that today marks my one year since my diagnosis. Seems like it flew by.
            Dx: 10/4/10
            Blood Results for tumor markers came back Normal.
            Surgery/ Left I/O: 10/26/10
            11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
            11/3/10 - CT scan of Pelvis and Chest is clear, no abnormalities.
            11/18/10- Surveillance
            10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

JulesTO,
              Yes it was the question my urologist was struggling with...makes sense, seems there may be more surface area for metastasis, if that is a related mechanism. Still have not found any info.
              FocalPoint,
              Could just be psychosomatic...I am about 5 weeks out. Having had my share of surgeries, injuries and lymphatic system damage already (herniated discs, filariasis, squamous carcinomas, etc) I am forced to listen to the body...I'll just keep the fingers crossed on this one. Have already lived nine lives..whats one more? Yes, I am one of the ones who has lived life!
              Glad to see you are all clear!
              Aloha,
              mahi

Comment

Adjuvent carboplatin, or rad therapy are your options for preemptive treatment against any further metastasis developments. However, I think with your current staging, surveillance is not out of the question. I would recommend discussing this thoroughly with your oncologist/urologist.

This reminds me, I'm a little over-due for my chest/pelvic exam. Need to schedule that pronto.
                Dx: 10/4/10
                Blood Results for tumor markers came back Normal.
                Surgery/ Left I/O: 10/26/10
                11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
                11/3/10 - CT scan of Pelvis and Chest is clear, no abnormalities.
                11/18/10- Surveillance
                10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Schedule it, my brudda! Yep trying to get the best info in light of my past history.
                  Much mahalos
                  Best,
                  Mahi

Comment

Working...
                  X