Is there a relationship between physical performance and orchiectomy? - Abstract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul54
    • Oct 2007

Is there a relationship between physical performance and orchiectomy? - Abstract

So, basically we have no excuse for sub-standard performance in the "rat race". I wonder what the rats thought about this. Perhaps we'll find out in the follow-up study on the long-term sociopsychological impact of I/O on rats.

Thursday, 04 November 2010
    Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.

[email protected]

Bilateral orchiectomy is indicated for the treatment of patients with testicular cancer or advanced prostate tumours. The influence of hypogonadism on physical performance is still not known. The purpose of this work was to verify the effect of bilateral orchiectomy on physical performance. Sixteen rats were divided into two groups: Group 1 (Control), in which only skin incision and suture were made (n = 5) and Group 2, in which the rats were submitted to bilateral orchiectomy (n = 11). The animals ran on a treadmill at the speed of 20 m min(-1) until they were fatigued and felt once, during 10 s, when the experiment was interrupted. Time to running and weight of animals were verified. The results were compared using the Mann-Whitney test. There was no difference on time to running - minutes - (P = 0.14) and weight - grams - (P = 0.25) between the animals submitted to orchiectomy (100 ± 44 min and 359 ± 38 g) and the control Group (81 ± 40 min to run and 327 ± 25 g). Bilateral orchiectomy does not affect the physical performance of the rat.

Written by:
    Petroianu A, Veloso DF, Alberti LR, Figueiredo JA, Rodrigues FH. Are you the author?

Reference: Andrologia. 2010 Oct;42(5):302-4.
    doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2009.00997.x

PubMed Abstract
    PMID: 20860628

UroToday.com Testicular Cancer Section
    "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
    Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)
  • Davepet
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Paul54 View Post
    So, basically we have no excuse for sub-standard performance in the "rat race". I wonder what the rats thought about this. Perhaps we'll find out in the follow-up study on the long-term sociopsychological impact of I/O on rats.

Thursday, 04 November 2010
    Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.

[email protected]

Bilateral orchiectomy is indicated for the treatment of patients with testicular cancer or advanced prostate tumours. The influence of hypogonadism on physical performance is still not known. The purpose of this work was to verify the effect of bilateral orchiectomy on physical performance. Sixteen rats were divided into two groups: Group 1 (Control), in which only skin incision and suture were made (n = 5) and Group 2, in which the rats were submitted to bilateral orchiectomy (n = 11). The animals ran on a treadmill at the speed of 20 m min(-1) until they were fatigued and felt once, during 10 s, when the experiment was interrupted. Time to running and weight of animals were verified. The results were compared using the Mann-Whitney test. There was no difference on time to running - minutes - (P = 0.14) and weight - grams - (P = 0.25) between the animals submitted to orchiectomy (100 ± 44 min and 359 ± 38 g) and the control Group (81 ± 40 min to run and 327 ± 25 g). Bilateral orchiectomy does not affect the physical performance of the rat.

Written by:
    Petroianu A, Veloso DF, Alberti LR, Figueiredo JA, Rodrigues FH. Are you the author?

Reference: Andrologia. 2010 Oct;42(5):302-4.
    doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2009.00997.x

PubMed Abstract
    PMID: 20860628

UroToday.com Testicular Cancer Section
    Yes, but how did the bilateral rats feel in the locker room as they dressed for their tests?

Seriously, how long did they follow them? Were supplemental hormones given? What were the blood levels of testosterone in both sets of rats? Estrogen? Is running really a good indicator of performance? Why not test how much they could bench press? How about how they fared in a fair fight with a non-altered peer?

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Working...
    X