Stem cells used to grow a replacement testicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrskye
    • Nov 2010

Artificial Testicle Could Treat Male Infertility

the articles might be of interest

Last edited by mrskye; 10-16-12, 07:03 AM.
    9/9/10 Right I/O + Prosthesis
    2/11/10 Blood Levels Back to Normal
    Hematoma/Hematocele still recovering

Comment

• lewis
      • Dec 2012

Hello,
      it is great to know that I'm not the one who would like to have both testicles and just forget or almost forget that this disease has ever happened. It is also great to know that my post inspired someone in looking for the solution (the one that was quoted).
      I stared my research in possibilities of using stem cells to make a replacement organ when I was in a hospital, so more than a year ago. I want to share results of those research with you. I hope that we will be able to achieve our goal one day and I believe that day is not so far.

So, first of all. The institute that is for sure working on creating a testicle is Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine with it's director, an urologist dr. Anthony Atala.
      Here you can watch his speeches at TED conference.

On Facebook I've found a women, whose son was born without testicles. She has met with dr. Atala and discuss with him the issue of transplanting a testicle (of course she made an appointment for the other reason). She also asked dr. Atala about my case and as she wrote to me, dr. Atala said that if there is a testicle that could be the source of cells, creating a new one is "relatively easy". I don't know what that exactly means, because she hasn't wrote about details yet, but she wrote that we, the cancer survivors should fight for that.
      I will publish here details when I will recieve a report from her. You can also make an appointment with dr. Atala and ask him personally. He is a chief of urology department at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center (of course give the other reason of the visit, for example implant consultation).

I've also find some scientists in UK that work in area of making testicle cells from stem cell.
      Researchers have for the first time created immature human sperm cells from stem cells in bone marrow. The work could pave the way for producing sperm cells from scratch, which may eventually be used in IVF treatment or to restore fertility in men who have been made infertile by cancer therapy.

PhD Project - Regenerative medicine in the testis: Defining and manipulating the Leydig stem cell niche through gene therapy to promote lifelong male health at University of Edinburgh, listed on FindAPhD.com

Other research in creating reproductive cells from stem cells.
      Want baby mice? Grab a petri dish. After producing normal mouse pups last year using sperm derived from stem cells, a Kyoto University team of researchers has now accomplished the same feat using eggs created the same way. The study may eventually lead to new ways of helping infertile couples conceive.

Other hormone producing organs grown in laboratory.

A group of Japanese researchers is at the forefront of the quest to grow complete organs in the lab

I've found a doctor in Saint Louis (MO) who has performed a few testicle transplants in 1970's (between twins). Now he is performing ovary transplants.

There are a few ways to create an organ. First one is to use a scaffold and seed it with cells. The scaffold could be synthetic or natural. The second one could be created by decellularization human or animal organ (testicle scaffolds can come from men who undergo sex-changing surgeries).
      Here you can watch Science Nova Now episode about decellularization.
      We are getting one step closer to be less reliant on organ transplant lists.

They're talking about growing lung in a laboratory. Here you can read about it.

The scaffold could be also created by 3D printer.
      Engineers, biologists, surgeons and chemists are collaborating to manufacture human tissue with 3-D printers, machines that build up layers of material to form objects.

The other way to create an organ is to basically print it with bioprinter, like the one that is producing by Organovo.

http://www.euronews.com/ Scientists are taking the idea of 3D computer printing and catapulting it into the realms of something more suited to science fictio...

3D printing technologies have come a long way since their earliest incarnations as rapid product prototype makers. It's now shaping up as the next disruptive technology and in medical science, 3D printing has huge potential. The latest advance comes from University of California, San Diego…

The pioneering concept of bioprinting is delivering promising results according to one of the early champions of the process, Professor Brian Derby of The University of Manchester. Writing in the journal Science, Professor Derby of The School of Materials, looks at how the concept of using printer technology to build structures in which to gr...

You can also grow it at International Space Station.

I wrote to Organovo to ask, if they're going to be able to print a testicle in the future. That is the response that I've received:

Dear Leszek,
      Thanks very much for your email. I'm very glad to hear your cancer treatment was successful, but I understand that it is quite a loss to have had one testicle removed. I'm not sure what article you are referring to, but unfortunately right now we do not make tissues for human transplantation. This is certainly something we are working on, but it will be a few years away. The majority of the tissues we produce right now are for drug testing and evaluation. So I'm sorry to say we cannot meet your needs. However, do please check in with us over the coming years as the technology evolves. I wish you all the best.

Regards,
      Eric David

Organovo, Inc.
      6275 Nancy Ridge Drive
      San Diego, CA 92121

+1 917.582.8721 (cell)
      +1 858.526.3366 (direct)
      +1 858.550.9948 (fax)
      [email protected]
      If some of you consider to look for this kind of research in Europe, there might be two or three countries to think of: UK, Germany or Sweden. In that last country it is the most feasible that they will accept this kind of procedure, because a few revolutionary surgeries were performed there.
      a synthetic trachea transplant

A joint effort between British and Swedish medical research develops the worlds first artificial body parts using plastic molds coated in stem cells.Once aga...

Visit:http://uk.reuters.com/video/2011/07/19/worlds-first-synthetic-trachea-patient-h?videoId=217243844http://uk.reuters.com/The world's first recipient of a...

a lab grown vein
      A 10-year-old Swedish girl has had a potentially life-threatening condition alleviated by receiving a vein grown from her own stem cells. Her condition, called extrahepatic portal vein obstruction, blocks the bloodflow between the intestines and the liver. Doctors at the Sahlgrenska University Hospital and the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, removed cells from a deceased donor’s vein with […]

and the uterus transplant
      Two Swedish women may be able to bear children using the wombs which carried them, doctors say, hailing the world's first mother-daughter uterus transplants.

If you would like to support research in lab grown organs, you can join New Organ Prize, an initiative of Methuselah Foundation, which aim is to achieve lab grown organs by 2020.

The Methuselah Foundation is a non-profit medical charity focused on extending the healthy human lifespan by making 90 the new 50 by 2030. Our goal is to accelerate results in the longevity field, as well as the biotechnology, regenerative medicine, life sciences sectors. We incubate and sponsor mis

At the and two articles, one positive and another very sad.

As you see, we are not the only ones who need a lab grown testicle.

I hope you enjoy this post and found in it many useful informations.

Comment

• dan45555
        • Oct 2012

Hi All,

I would also like to know if anyone else knows about possible testicle regeneration through stem cell?

It is something that I have been researching for a while but have found scarce materials on the subject. I am aware of the work that Dr. Atala at the Wake Forest Institute is doing, but I think he is the only one (?)

I basically wanted to bump up the thread as I have followed and thought it was getting a bit quiet.

My case is that I had a testicle removed in my mid-teens and the loss has always affected me. I have always wanted to be "normal". I many people will argue that I need psychological help rather than a new testicle and I am sure they are right. But why not try and get both!

Another point is that I have a silicone prosthesis which I find very uncomfortable and also weirdly unnatural in feel. I am interested in developments in a tissue engineered prosthesis, which I know Dr. Atala has been working on. This would be prosthesis which felt much more like a real testicle as it is made from the bodies own cells. Although, the prosthesis would have no real function, it would certainly give a better cosmetic result.

I am aware that my issue would be seen as very insignificant by the medical community, as I am lucky to still have a functioning organ unlike some people, and much more valuable research is required, which I would not disagree with. However, saying that, I think for people with no testicles a possible organ transplant would have many benefits and I am sure these are the people that the organ regeneration program is based around.

Although my issue is cosmetic I do not think that means it is to be ignored. My view is that if someone has a testicle removed it is best to replace it with something as close to the original as possible, not just stitch a golf ball of rubber inside.

Would be great to hear everyone else's view on the issue.

Thanks,

Dan.

Comment

• lewis
          • Dec 2012

Hi guys,

I want to share with you some interesting articles.

The first one about dr. Atala. I think all of us will love this part:
          "Atala wants nothing less than to eradicate all chronic disease. Heart disease, kidney disease, short-bowel syndrome, testicular cancer.
          Done. Fixed. Gone.
          In Atala's future, we will no longer be burdened by our broken body parts. We'll just replace them with new ones."
          Dr. Anthony Atala started making organs before embryonic stem cells were discovered, and wants nothing less than the eradicATION OF ALL CHRONIC DISEASE. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED IF FIFTEEN YEARS AGO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAD AC...

Another one from "Wall Street Journal" about growing human nose (already available) and heart (in 5 to 10 years).

By the way, how much would you be able to pay for new testicle?

And another one about growing rat's kidney.
          The team is already developing human versions that would be based on the recipients' own cells, bypassing rejection issues and waiting lists for matching donors

So, now we have rat's heart, lung, liver and kidney. Don't you think that it shows some perspective for growing a human testicle? It is quite small, about the same size as rat's lung, so maybe we are not so far off from make it real. Do you think we should support dr. Atala by creating a fund for his research?

Dan, you don't have to be ashamed of your desire for being "normal". I would like the same for me. I hope we will achieve that one day and I believe this day is not so far as it seems to be.

Comment

• FocalPoint
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by lewis View Post
            Hi guys,

I want to share with you some interesting articles.

The first one about dr. Atala. I think all of us will love this part:
            "Atala wants nothing less than to eradicate all chronic disease. Heart disease, kidney disease, short-bowel syndrome, testicular cancer.
            Done. Fixed. Gone.
            In Atala's future, we will no longer be burdened by our broken body parts. We'll just replace them with new ones."
            Dr. Anthony Atala started making organs before embryonic stem cells were discovered, and wants nothing less than the eradicATION OF ALL CHRONIC DISEASE. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED IF FIFTEEN YEARS AGO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAD AC...

Another one from "Wall Street Journal" about growing human nose (already available) and heart (in 5 to 10 years).

By the way, how much would you be able to pay for new testicle?

And another one about growing rat's kidney.
            The team is already developing human versions that would be based on the recipients' own cells, bypassing rejection issues and waiting lists for matching donors

So, now we have rat's heart, lung, liver and kidney. Don't you think that it shows some perspective for growing a human testicle? It is quite small, about the same size as rat's lung, so maybe we are not so far off from make it real. Do you think we should support dr. Atala by creating a fund for his research?

Dan, you don't have to be ashamed of your desire for being "normal". I would like the same for me. I hope we will achieve that one day and I believe this day is not so far as it seems to be.
            I don't think his research is struggling to stay funded, but it's the leaps and bounds of government regulations and red tape they have to jump through. It's not easy, due to the ban on stem cell research, the government ignorantly placed upon our nation. Thankfully other countries around the globe progressed and are now sharing their data. If they're planning a full organ replacement program publically available and in place by 2020, we're not too far off. We can theoretically see experimentation, and possible practice of this within the next few years. A heart, pancreas, lung, intestines are all much more intricate, and those are now on the horizon, so a testicle might be a little bit easier for them to manufacture. Lets hope! I wouldn't mind a price tag in the $20k region for growing and implantation.
            Dx: 10/4/10
            Blood Results for tumor markers came back Normal.
            Surgery/ Left I/O: 10/26/10
            11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
            11/3/10 - CT scan of Pelvis and Chest is clear, no abnormalities.
            11/18/10- Surveillance
            10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

• JeffX
              • Apr 2013

I've gotten used to having one, but it would be nice to have both testicles again. I am kind of paranoid about it as I really don't want to lose both.
              My newer blog. I'll be using the one below from now on.
              http://jefflilland.blogspot.com/

Initial Diagnosis 04/15/2013 Stage 1b Non-Seminoma
              I/O 04/08/2013
              Second Diagnosis 09/19/2013 Stage 3 Non-Seminoma in the left lung
              3x BEP 09/25/2013-11/19/2013
              All Clear 11/26/2013

Comment

• FocalPoint
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by JeffX View Post
                I've gotten used to having one, but it would be nice to have both testicles again. I am kind of paranoid about it as I really don't want to lose both.
                Same, and within 7 years, that hopefully won't be much of a concern, assuming the process of replacement is successful.
                11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
                11/18/10- Surveillance
                10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

• dan45555
                  • Oct 2012

Hi All,

I would be more interested in the possibility of growing a more life-like prosthesis through the means of tissue engineering, as I am unhappy with my silicone prosthesis. I am guessing that this would be an easier option than growing a fully functional testicle (although I am sure that will become reality in the next 10-15 years).

Dr. Atala has done research in the field of Tissue Engineered Prostheses (http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US6620203), however it is yet to be applied experimentally to humans.

As I said I would be more interested in this option as it seems more of a realistic possibility in the near future.

In terms of how much I would be willing to pay for a fully functional testicle, I would say in the region of $60-80,000.

I think that more should be done to investigate the cosmetic advantages of silicone prosthesis, as I reiterate, I am unhappy with mine and am looking for better solutions.

Comment

• lewis
                    • Dec 2012

Hi guys,

I have recently read that article and I wrote an email to Miromatrix Medical describing our problem and possible solutions. This is a response that I received.

Dear Mr. Wisniewski:

First and foremost, my sincerest sympathies for your medical difficulties. I am pleased to hear that your treatment was successful.

I very much appreciate your contacting me and Miromatrix Medical. Your research is quite complete and impressive. Our goal at Miromatrix is to apply our technology as broadly as possible in order to better the lives of individuals in need with a variety of medical conditions. As a young company, one of the unfortunate facts of operating in the year 2013 is that there never is enough money to do all the things that we would like to do when we would like to do them. Your email has given me much to consider as we continue to set and reset our priorities.

Best of continuing health to you.

Regards,

Rob
                    It sounds good, but we will see, if there going to be any result. At least they know about the demand.

How long we will have to wait for lab grown organs? It looks that not so much. Scientist predict it will take 5 to 20 years to achieve that (Washington Post, TechCrunch). Personally I believe that for testicle it could be shorter time, because of its small size. Unfortunatelly we cannot rather count on dr. Atala. My friend told me that while talking with him, she had an impression he has the other priorities and he will not work in that field in coming years.

@FocalPoint
                    You don't need stem cells to grow a new testicle, if you still have one. So it's not about banning or not stem cells research. I just don't think that this kind of not life-saving procedure will be fund from public funding. That is way I think it would be good to create a fund for such research.

@Dan
                    If you need just a kind of "living prosthesis" maybe you should be interested in work of Dr. Lawrence Bonassar from Cornell University. He has created a 3D printing technology for cartilage replacement. It should be available within 3 years and I think there is no problem to create testicular prosthesis using this technology.

Comment

• FocalPoint
                      • Oct 2010

I'm bumping this as I tend to be impatient.

I did send another message off to Dr. Atala's group via Terri Bowen, to see if there are any new updates after year or so. Will post the reply here if/when I receive it. I think I share in some of the paranoia that I would prefer to have two real ones for a "just in case" scenario, vs having the single and being terrified of every odd feeling I get from that region.
                      11/18/10- Surveillance
                      10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

• lewis
                        • Dec 2012

@FocalPoint

I talked to some professors from Warsaw Medical University. They are interested in starting research in growing a testicle/creating a testicular tissue for laboratory research. It might be possible that this kind of research could be found from European Union funding - Horizon 2020 Program. I just need now to prepare a list of possible privaite funding (foundations, companies) and a list of scientific papers that could be a base for this kind of research. Do you want to help me?

Those professors told me they have contacts in Europe, including University of Tubingen, where the studies in testicular tissue already has been performed. So, there is a chance to create an international, European team of scientist working in this area and do not rely only on dr. Atala's research.

What is important. One goal of this research program is to create a testicular tissue model that could be used in research of testicular disorders including infertility. That means this research should be interested also for organizations supporting research in that field.

Comment

• FocalPoint
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by lewis View Post
                          @FocalPoint

I talked to some professors from Warsaw Medical University. They are interested in starting research in growing a testicle/creating a testicular tissue for laboratory research. It might be possible that this kind of research could be found from European Union funding - Horizon 2020 Program. I just need now to prepare a list of possible privaite funding (foundations, companies) and a list of scientific papers that could be a base for this kind of research. Do you want to help me?

Those professors told me they have contacts in Europe, including University of Tubingen, where the studies in testicular tissue already has been performed. So, there is a chance to create an international, European team of scientist working in this area and do not rely only on dr. Atala's research.

What is important. One goal of this research program is to create a testicular tissue model that could be used in research of testicular disorders including infertility. That means this research should be interested also for organizations supporting research in that field.
                          I'm game. Let me know what you need from me. I'll do my best to assist. I want this to be a reality! I feel like in 10 years, this will be common practice to have a failing organ replaced with one grown specifically from your own cells.
                          11/18/10- Surveillance
                          10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

• FocalPoint
                            • Oct 2010

I was just sent this article in regards to Wake-Forest and their regenerative medicine project.

Testicular regeneration is on the list! This could potentially be a possibility within the next 3-4 years!

The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine will receive $20 million of a $75 million federal contract to use regenerative medicine on battlefield wounds. The institute will be involved in 14 projects.
                            • Restoring function to severely traumatized limbs: Cell therapies; engineering small diameter blood vessels for limb restoration; developing injectable oxygen-generated material to help salvage muscle tissue.
                            • Reconstruction for facial and skull injuries through tissue regeneration: engineering small sections of replacement skeletal muscle; developing a system to integrate muscle and nerve tissue to replace larger segments of lost muscle; printing complex tissue components using a 3-D printer.
                            • Skin regeneration for burn injuries: Using a “skin printer” to evaluate the potential of stem cells found in amniotic fluid for enhanced wound healing.
                            Reconstruction of the genital and urinary organs, and lower abdomen: Engineering bladder tissue; repairing urine tube injuries; engineering penile tissue; engineering testicular tissue; restore penile erectile tissue using stem cells; engineering innervated skeletal muscle tissue to accelerate the restoration of pelvic floor muscle function; implanting lab-engineered anal sphincters.
                            11/18/10- Surveillance
                            10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

• FocalPoint
                              • Oct 2010

Received awesome news today from Wake Forest Institute's news letter. Seems they are rolling out the welcome mat for those interested in genital reconstructions through their Wounded Warrior program. There is even a story about a woman who had a vaginal organ implanted after being regrown. This is becoming more and more of a possibility in the very near future. I assume I was signed up for the news letter via my messages to Dr. Atala and his staff, and I'm sure you can do the same on the site itself. Here's a direct link to the wounded warrior site. http://www.wakehealth.edu/Research/W...plications.htm
                              11/18/10- Surveillance
                              10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

• dan45555
                                • Oct 2012

Anyone got any updates on this issue?

Comment

Working...
                                X