Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stem cells used to grow a replacement testicle?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FocalPoint
    started a topic Stem cells used to grow a replacement testicle?

Stem cells used to grow a replacement testicle?

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted here, but I'd been reading some medical journals and reports lately. Obviously medical science has jumped leaps and bounds with the introduction of stem cell usage. IE: Regrowing ears, noses, and other body parts lost due to unforeseen circumstances. Recently they've begun to get a little more clever with the stem cells, removing them from the testicles now to help regrow pancreases for those stricken with pancreatic cancer.

Obviously a transplant of an organ grown from your own stem cells would produce a 0% rejection rate, and you wouldn't have to wait years on a donor list. My question is, has there been any talk on growing replacement testicles for those stricken with testicular cancer? I know the big consensus is "Why bother, fertility isn't important, and hormones can be synthesized." This is true, but I have to believe that men with this disease would be far more interested in having a testicle replicated and placed back in to handle both jobs of fertility and hormones naturally. Has there been any talks by the medical field to explore this option? Would the duplicated or grown testicle be subject to grow cancer if it's created from your DNA, stem cells? I know testicle transplants have been done, but that's obviously a foreign testicle, and only there for hormones, as I believe the donor's DNA would follow the testicle.

I just figure it would be an ideal way of doing things for the patient, but I guess hormone replacement therapy is too big a business to want to start this kind of procedure.

• leon
    replied
    The following links sound like the most promising solution.
    It was last year's report. No new report any more.
    https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-be...-wounded-vets/
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...iers-have-kids

Originally posted by Egon Schiele View Post
    Hello
    I write again on this page in order to know if there are some news about the researchs in biotechnology and its applications, especially concerning the testicle. It appears in the regenerative medicine project program of the wake forest institute in 2013. I alsco discovered a new method of the university of Ohio very recently in august : the Tissue nanotransfection. A microchip reschedule the stem cells in a part of the body in order to reconstruct a damaged or hurted organ. It seems to work very well with animal and will be tested on men next year.
    https://medicine.osu.edu/regenerativ...ges/index.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Egon Schiele
    replied
    Hello
    I write again on this page in order to know if there are some news about the researchs in biotechnology and its applications, especially concerning the testicle. It appears in the regenerative medicine project program of the wake forest institute in 2013. I alsco discovered a new method of the university of Ohio very recently in august : the Tissue nanotransfection. A microchip reschedule the stem cells in a part of the body in order to reconstruct a damaged or hurted organ. It seems to work very well with animal and will be tested on men next year.
    https://medicine.osu.edu/regenerativ...ges/index.aspx

Leave a comment:

• nito
    replied
    Very interesting the article Tarc79. I am very glad of seeing you posting and linking articles. Take care friend

Leave a comment:

• Tarc79
    replied
    This is not directly related to testicles per se as I am more interested in a new kidney and a liver myself. But, my transplant surgeon said this is the best research to date for real organs made of your own cells. It is at least ten years away from human applications. How I wish I could go forward in time to get this...

https://www.jst.go.jp/pr/announce/20130219/index_e.html

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    I've managed to beat TC twice, I will never give it a third chance. Testicles are not as important as my life.

Leave a comment:

• Rudachenko
    replied
    Imagine this- you lost one testicle by TC and you got stem cells from donor and your testicle re-grown again.But which DNA and sperm are inside it? You than made child and you don't know if that your child or by donor.
    I watched documentary where one ''doctor'' was transplanting goat's testicles to males who had erective dysfunction or who didn't have testicle.That was brrrh so disgusting.

Leave a comment:

• Ariel
    replied
    I just followed up with Wake Forest University. I got an email back from Terri B. today and there is not timeline yet for clinical use. She asked for my personal contact information so they can contact me as soon as there are more promising updates sometime in the future. As soon as I hear back from them I'll post it on here guys!!

​Best, ariel

Leave a comment:

• johnnybizz81
    replied
    This would be great but I would think they'd direct stem cell research to the more lethal forms of cancer, etc.. first.

Leave a comment:

• Egon Schiele
    replied
    Hello,
    I'm french (i'm sorry if my english is not very good), living in Paris, and i am 27. This year, in february, i had an orchidectomy because of a little tumor on the right testicle and the suspicion of a cancer. After all the medicals, it appears that it wasn't a cancer and the tumor was benign. If it was a release to know that i wasn't sick, it's very difficult to accept the idea that i lost a part of myself. The prothesis is really not a good compensation because it is too hard, it does not have a good position, it does not move like an organic piece. In fact, I find it very uncomfortable and also weirdly unnatural in feel. So, i think about that all the time, and i have the impression to feel very often something like a dead weigth in my body which does not belong to me, and when i touch it i don't feel myself in my own body.
    I would write you because i was looking for informations about regenerative medicine. I discovered whith a very great pleasure the possibility of recreating our own organs, and i hope to get back a real testicle and not just a prothesis.

I already wrote to the Wake Forest Institute and i got the same answer than you, i gave all the informations with the hope of being soon contacted. I red your posts and i believed that it was soon possible because some of yours are talking about that since 2011 and it could be near to be real now. At the same time i wrote to a lot of departments of regenerative medicine in Europe or USA. I will share the informations i get and i would like to know if some of them have good news concerning this question.

Thank you very much

Leave a comment:

• omarahmedkhan1
    replied
    Hello everybody.

I'm Omar. I got done with my surgery and chemotherapy a month ago i.e. Dec 2014.

I have been paying close attention to the regenerative medicine developments to develop testicles - especially the one on at Wake Forest University under Dr. Atala. I tried to contact them, but got no specific reply except for the one mentioned by FocalPoint.

Here is something really interesting though:
    Two professors from the university have already developed 'testicular tissue organoids' as a part of that very project mentioned above.

Google these two things and check the links out:

Sang Jin Lee testicular tissue organoid

and also

Colin Bishop testicular tissue organoid

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• FocalPoint
    replied
    I do not just yet, but I thought about this thread today, and went ahead and drafted another e-mail to Terri Bowen at Wake-forest Industries of Regen Medicine. Hopefully we'll hear back shortly.

Leave a comment:

• dan45555
    replied
    Anyone got any updates on this issue?

Leave a comment:

• FocalPoint
    replied
    Received awesome news today from Wake Forest Institute's news letter. Seems they are rolling out the welcome mat for those interested in genital reconstructions through their Wounded Warrior program. There is even a story about a woman who had a vaginal organ implanted after being regrown. This is becoming more and more of a possibility in the very near future. I assume I was signed up for the news letter via my messages to Dr. Atala and his staff, and I'm sure you can do the same on the site itself. Here's a direct link to the wounded warrior site. http://www.wakehealth.edu/Research/W...plications.htm

Leave a comment:

• FocalPoint
    replied
    I was just sent this article in regards to Wake-Forest and their regenerative medicine project.

Testicular regeneration is on the list! This could potentially be a possibility within the next 3-4 years!

http://www.news-record.com/news/arti...a4bcf6878.html

The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine will receive $20 million of a $75 million federal contract to use regenerative medicine on battlefield wounds. The institute will be involved in 14 projects.
    • Restoring function to severely traumatized limbs: Cell therapies; engineering small diameter blood vessels for limb restoration; developing injectable oxygen-generated material to help salvage muscle tissue.
    • Reconstruction for facial and skull injuries through tissue regeneration: engineering small sections of replacement skeletal muscle; developing a system to integrate muscle and nerve tissue to replace larger segments of lost muscle; printing complex tissue components using a 3-D printer.
    • Skin regeneration for burn injuries: Using a “skin printer” to evaluate the potential of stem cells found in amniotic fluid for enhanced wound healing.
    Reconstruction of the genital and urinary organs, and lower abdomen: Engineering bladder tissue; repairing urine tube injuries; engineering penile tissue; engineering testicular tissue; restore penile erectile tissue using stem cells; engineering innervated skeletal muscle tissue to accelerate the restoration of pelvic floor muscle function; implanting lab-engineered anal sphincters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X