X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveillance in Stage I Seminoma Patients: A Long-Term Assessment

I found this study today, published in 2010 in European Urology and written by the folks at The Institute of Cancer Research (basically the Royal Marsden).

Makes for quite interesting reading and, luckily for us, the full pdf is free to read.

Surveillance in Stage I Seminoma Patients: A Long-Term Assessment

Cummins, S., Yau, T., Huddart, R., Dearnaley, D., Horwich, A. (2010) Surveillance in Stage I Seminoma Patients: A Long-Term Assessment. EUROPEAN UROLOGY, 57 (4). pp. 673-678. ISSN 0302-2838
    Abstract: http://publications.icr.ac.uk/9337/

Full PDF: http://publications.icr.ac.uk/9337/1/9337PP.pdf

I was interested to see what they said about the 4mm/RT risk factors, that those earlier findings have never been confirmed by another study.

Also interested to see the median time for relapse which is just 15 months. Also, the stat that 20% of those relapsing do so after 3 years. Or, another way to look at it: after 3 years, your chances of a relapse are just one-fifth of the quoted general relapse rate figure.

e.g. if you take the figure of 15-20% (and this varies depending on the study) overall then this means after 3 years, your chance of relapse is now vastly reduced to 3-4%, what it roughly would have been had you had adjuvant treatment. Might help to reduce the anxiety of some of those who decided not to have any adjuvant treatment but are still anxious at this point down the road.

I also found it interesting that they said that blood tests are of limited value and yet one-third of those who relapsed showed elevated beta-HCG. One-third seems a lot higher than I expected, I think many people regard it to be rare to show on relapse but obviously this is not true.
    100% classical seminoma (I-A, RTI). Surveillance (no adjuvant therapy). 4 years all-clear and hoping for many more.
Working...
X