X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukboyuk
    • Oct 2008

Open RPLND Surgery Video

Though I posted another surgical video, by total coincidence I came across this video today, of an open RPLND. It's just half of the procedure really, but can still give an idea of what happens.

You may know from elsewhere on here about the idea that the organs must be pulled out of the abdominal cavity in order to get to the nodes which sit towards the rear.

Warning, if you are squeamish or suffer from anxiety I do NOT recommend you watch it.

Hopefully it can help some guys who really would rather know what will happen in the procedure before they have it, or who are just interested to see what it looked like when they were operated on.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Much respect to the Youtuber from whose channel this is, who is incidentally a filmmaker and making a documentary about TC called "ballsy". I've noticed many great TC survivors on Youtube lately.
    100% classical seminoma (I-A, RTI). Surveillance (no adjuvant therapy). 4 years all-clear and hoping for many more.
  • davidhanson90
    • Mar 2011

I think I will pass watching that one!
    Dave Hanson
    Found lump 18/02/2011
    Ultrasound confirmed mass 23/02/2011
    CT Abdomen, pelvis, chest (clear) 24/02/2011
    Left I/O 1/03/2011
    99% Seminoma <1% Unknown germ cell 10/03/2011
    Staging T1 - 1A 10/03/2011

2 month - 27/04/2011 - All clear!
    5 month - 16/07/2011 - All clear!
    9 month - 22/12/2011 - All clear!
    14 month - 22/12/2011 - All clear!

Yesterday was history, tommorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the "present"

Comment

• Nut of Mordor
      • May 2011

Originally posted by davidhanson90 View Post
      I think I will pass watching that one!
      Me too !
      - early Apr/11: something is "wrong" in my righty
      - 16/Apr/11: ultrasound find a mass in it
      - 27/Apr/11: right I/O
      - 29/Apr/11: stadiation CT scan shows "all clear"
      - May/11: pathology: 1 cm Seminoma (90% necrotic), no RT/LV invasion
      - Surveillance....
      - March/13: relapse - para aortic node 1.7 cm, waiting for treatment...

Comment

• dadmo
        • Oct 2004

My son had an open RPLND 8 years ago and watching that wasn't easy. When I showed my wife she cried. When I get a chance I'll have my son watch it and see what he thinks.
        Son Jason diagnosed 4/30/04, stage III. Right I/O 4/30/04. Graduated College 5/13/04. 4XEP 6/7/04 - 8/13/04. Full open RPLND 10/13/04. All Clear since.

Treated by Dr. Rakowski of Midland Park, NJ. Visited Sloan Kettering for protocol advice. RPLND done at Sloan Kettering.

Comment

• Aegean
          Administrator
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Nut of Mordor View Post
          Me too !
          You can add me to the list of squeamish folks here.... not my thing... but I can appreciate the video for those that it can help.
          Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
          Left I/O 11/25/08
          Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
          Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

• Lovemyman
            • Apr 2011

Thanks for posting the video. I have found a few more that are more in detail. My sister is an OR nurse so she was able to translate some things for me. Amazing what they can do. Pj should have his surgery later this month. The more I know the better because he only likes information in small pieces.
            Left Orchiectomy 6/10, pathology MGC with EC/teratoma mostly yolk sac. AFP >700 HCG >500 4 cycles EP July-Oct. AFP and HGC normal. Jan/11 AFP >1000. 4 cycles of TIP planned stopped after 3 for elevated AFP 3000. Stem cells harvested 8/22-8/25/11. AFP over 8000. HDC 10/17/11 -12/20/11. RPLND 1/16/12. Pathology MGC tumor mostly yolk sac. 45 lymph nodes negative.AFP 2.1 4/12/12. AFP22 6/12 new lesions in liver and abdomen. Gem/Ox start 7/2.

Comment

• Already Bald
              • Nov 2006

Holy smokes! Could you imagine the first docs that preformed that surgery?
              Thank goodness for the pioneers!
              Stage III. Embryonal Carcinoma, Mature Teratoma, Choriocarcinoma.
              Diagnosed 4/19/06, Right I/O 4/21/06, RPLND 6/21/06, 4xEP, All Clear 1/29/07, RPLND Incisional Hernia Surgery 11/24/08, Hydrocelectomy and Vasectomy 11/23/09.

Please see a physician for medical advice!

My 2013 LiveSTRONG Site
              The 2013 Already Balders

Comment

• S P
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

I had the full open RPLND, and.... I think I'll pass on watching it too.
                Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
                April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
                www.stevepake.com
                Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
                My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
                C
                ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

• Fed
                  • Dec 2006

Fascinating!
                  "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
                  11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
                  12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

• CancerSux
                    • Apr 2011

No wonder it takes some time to get the GI tract working again!

(copycating Fed now) - fascinating is right.
                    Tracy
                    Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
                    Left I/O 12/31/10.
                    4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
                    1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
                    Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
                    Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

• Aegletes
                      • Mar 2008

Having read about the procedure and heard from patients how long it takes for things to "settle down" I think I'll pass. The mental image I have is vivid enough.
                      TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
                      TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

• LET
                        • Aug 2011

Ewwwwww!!!M I can't believe I actually watched that. I'm sorry for you guys that have had that and for my nephew who is about to have it.

Lynda

Comment

Working...
                        X