Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASCO to recommend cutting some treatments and tests.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASCO to recommend cutting some treatments and tests.

Am out of the country on vacation now and just on my phone, but wanted to post about some new ASCO recommendations being floated. One of them sounds like they want to cut Neupogen/Neulasta shots except for life threatening conditions, which might have some relevance to TC patients. I didn't see anything specifically for TC although they did recommend cutting some types of tests and imaging for other types of cancers.

Article here: Doctors call for end to five cancer tests, treatments - Yahoo! News
    http://www.google.com/gwt/x?noimg=1&...041258011.html
    Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
    April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
    www.stevepake.com
    Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
    My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
    C
    ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Interesting article. Seems like all they are saying is some treatments & tests commonly used are simply not providing any real benefits & should therefore not be used. If the science really does support that,I agree.

Dave
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Yep, as long as the science, and NOT the insurance companies' lobbyists, is the reason for the decision...I'm sure the drug lobby is feverishly ratcheting up their side of things in response...

Comment

I did hear about this while I was at AACR, and indeed it makes sense. What's critical here is that this is coming from the physicians and not from special interest lobbying. In my view, this is a bold step in spite of opening themselves to charges of healthcare rationing.
        "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
        11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
        12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Working...
        X