• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • julesTO
    • Jul 2010

New Platinum Drug?

Just came across this article and wanted to share:

Researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US who are testing phenanthriplatin, a new experimental drug based on platinum, say it kills cancer cells better and may...

Do any of the research experts have a perspective on this? Sounds promising.
    Husband Shaun diagnosed March 2010. AFP 4571, HCG 3340.
    6cm x 6cm x 8cm retroperitoneal mass + 1cm nodule in right lung.
    Stage IIIb, Intermediate Risk.
    Left I/O March 9/10: 75% EC, 20% Teratoma, 5% Yolk Sac + Seminoma.
    3xBEP + 1xEP March 15 - May 21/10: markers normal.
    Bilateral RPLND July 28/10: 9.5 x 7 x 4.5cm mass, teratoma only.
    Chylous Ascites Aug/Sep.
    November 2012 All Clear
    Continuously monitoring 0.9 x 1.7cm omental nodule (possible fat necrosis)

www.teamshaun.wordpress.com
  • CancerSux
    • Apr 2011

Thanks for the link, Jules! I've downloaded the article and I will read it tonight (after I make a pharmacology test that includes them knowing about the other platinums ).

T
    Tracy
    Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
    Left I/O 12/31/10.
    4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
    1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
    Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
    Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

• Fed
      • Dec 2006

Oh man, I would incorporate this compound into your exam. I have a soft spot for transition metal chemistry.
      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

• CancerSux
        • Apr 2011

Hahaha, Fed ... you are such a chemist!

This is the only platinum question I have, let's see if you can get it right:

Which of the following is a good combination of drugs, as determined by following the governing guidelines of chemotherapy combinations (note: assume they have efficacy in the target cancer)?
        a. Bleomycin, paclitaxel, and vinblastine
        b. Cisplatin, oxaliplatin, and gemcitabine
        c. Mercaptopurine, 6-TG, vinblastine
        d. Bleomycin, paclitaxel, fluorouracil
        e. None of the above

(and ugh, can I say how much I don't like squeezing a full semester of pharmacology into 4 weeks for a remediation? And I only have to deal with 1/2 of it ...)
        Tracy

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
        Left I/O 12/31/10.
        Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma

Comment

• Fed
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by CancerSux View Post
          This is the only platinum question I have, let's see if you can get it right:

Which of the following is a good combination of drugs, as determined by following the governing guidelines of chemotherapy combinations (note: assume they have efficacy in the target cancer)?
          a. Bleomycin, paclitaxel, and vinblastine
          b. Cisplatin, oxaliplatin, and gemcitabine
          c. Mercaptopurine, 6-TG, vinblastine
          d. Bleomycin, paclitaxel, fluorouracil
          e. None of the above
          Let's see...
          a. Paclitaxel stabilizes microtubules and vinblastine inhibits their formation. For all intents and purposes, these are opposite actions. Combination makes no sense.
          b. Two platinum drugs at the same time sounds redundant, so no go with this one.
          c. Mercaptopurine and 6-TG have a similar mode of action. Redundant.
          d. All of these work differently: bleo whacks DNA via a Fe dependent mechanism catalyzed by O2, paclitaxel see (a) above, and fluorouracil inhibits thymidylate synthase. Since this is the most "complementary" mix, I pick d.
          (and ugh, can I say how much I don't like squeezing a full semester of pharmacology into 4 weeks for a remediation? And I only have to deal with 1/2 of it ...)
          When I was in grad school I took a 4-week crash course in immunology. Not worthwhile to crunch a semester's worth of work into 4 weeks.
          "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
          12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

• CancerSux
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Fed View Post
            I pick d.
            Ding, ding, ding! And the prize goes to Fed (as it should)

Originally posted by Fed View Post
            When I was in grad school I took a 4-week crash course in immunology. Not worthwhile to crunch a semester's worth of work into 4 weeks.
            These are 4 PharmD students who are re-taking a semester's worth of material in 4 weeks in order to better their understanding/grade and be allowed to advance into their clinical year. It is a new remediation policy the school is trying (if one class makes the difference between a student advancing or repeating a whole year, then they are allowed to repeat the course in the summer), but they haven't worked out the policy very well yet.

As for the article, Jules - it is an exciting molecule! When I read the paper, what actually jumped out to me the most was the activity in NTera testicular cancer cells (that is a chorio cell line, right Fed?) with a log-greater activity than any other type of cancer cell line, and 4-fold greater activity than cisplatin. This compound is in the WAY early stages (still needs mouse efficacy data), but really promising. I'm interested (and may contact them) to see if it is active in general platinum-resistant TC cells since it works via a new mechanism. Thanks for pointing out the paper!

T
            Tracy

Left I/O 12/31/10.

Comment

• Fed
              • Dec 2006

When I read the paper, what actually jumped out to me the most was the activity in NTera testicular cancer cells (that is a chorio cell line, right Fed?)
              NTERA-2 cells are actually embryonal carcinoma cells. We use them in the lab to study differentiation processes because they are about as close as we want to get to stem cell biology (plus, they have wild type p53 and boatloads of HDMX).
              I'm interested (and may contact them) to see if it is active in general platinum-resistant TC cells since it works via a new mechanism.
              That would be fascinating given the structure of the compound.
              Last edited by Fed; 07-24-12, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• a.d.
                • Apr 2011

How long does it usually take from animal testing to clinical use?

Comment

• CancerSux
                  • Apr 2011

Hard to make a real estimate because it depends on economics too, but 5-10 years is a safe timeline. As far as I can tell, this agent is in laboratory studies (not animals yet), but it is following the same timeline as a related platinum, picoplatin, which is in clinical trials currently.
                  Tracy

Left I/O 12/31/10.

Comment

• TC Destroyer
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2009

Tracy and Fed, I thought we had made the rule very clear: if you are going to post extremely educational posts involving scientific material, then you need to place a warning before hand!

After reading this thread, I looked up from my monitor and said out loud, "my brain hurts..."

I'm glad you super smart people exist!
                    Diagnosed 4/17/08
                    Right orchiectomy 4/18/08
                    Pure choriocarcinoma; HCG 715,000; lungs, lymphnodes, liver, and random other places
                    4X VIP chemo at IU with Dr. Einhorn 4/25/08-7/4/08
                    HCG down to 7.2 10/28/08
                    HCG back up to 198 12/29/08
                    1 X PVB 1/2/09-1/6/09
                    2 X HDC w/ stem cell rescue 2/4/09-3/14/09
                    Follow-up with Dr. Einhorn 4/22/09
                    HCG 1.2
                    3 rounds, 21 days, twice daily, VP-16 50mg 4/24/09-7/10/09

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/johncovell

Comment

• Aegean
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TC Destroyer View Post
                      Tracy and Fed, I thought we had made the rule very clear: if you are going to post extremely educational posts involving scientific material, then you need to place a warning before hand!

After reading this thread, I looked up from my monitor and said out loud, "my brain hurts..."

I'm glad you super smart people exist!
                      Yeah, my brain is spinning too after Fed's explanation... but I agree, I would have chosen D... I always choose D when my head is spinning in front of an exam.... and coincidentally that is also the mark that comes back .... glad to have smart folks(geeks/nerds/squints) aboard too ... they're the coolest.
                      Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
                      Left I/O 11/25/08
                      Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
                      Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

• CancerSux
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Aegean View Post
                        Yeah, my brain is spinning too after Fed's explanation..
                        I see your challenge, and will step up my brain spinning capabilities
                        Tracy

Left I/O 12/31/10.

Comment

• Aegean
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2008

I see your challenge, and will step up my brain spinning capabilities
                          Hmm... may be too late... may be my new normal... huh?!? What were we talking about???
                          Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
                          Left I/O 11/25/08

Comment

• CancerSux
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Aegean View Post
                            What were we talking about???

You said Fed's post had your brain spinning, but not mine, so clearly I need to"up" the nerditude.
                            Last edited by CancerSux; 07-26-12, 12:05 PM.
                            Tracy

Left I/O 12/31/10.

Comment

• Aegean
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2008

You said Fed's post had your brain spinning, but not mine, so clearly I need to"up" the nerditude.D
                              That's because I understand multiple choice and have a 20% chance of getting it correct just by guessing... I have no friggin' clue what he said. Oh, and you ride a motorcycle, and he doesn't... so you lose some geek/squint points... but then again geek is now the new cool.... oh I am so confused...
                              Best,

Zsolt

Mass found 11/20/08
                              Left I/O 11/25/08

Comment

Working...
                              X