X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana smoking tied to TC

Thought I'd post it since I just saw it in the news. This is specifically regarding nonseminoma. The impact seems to be really small though.
    http://news.yahoo.com/marijuana-smok...023342821.html
    7/15/11 Right I/O
    90% EC, 10% Seminoma, LVI, CT scan and Chest x-rays clear
    8/22/11 RPLND, all clean

Ah! I was just about to post this -- my dad (of all people) sent this article to me. It's such a wonky study, especially the part that says the risk of TC was lower for more frequent users!
    Patrick
    29 years old

U/s on 1/23/12, I/O on 2/1/12

Stage IB
    Classical seminoma, 4.5cm, RT invasion, LVI, no spermatic cord margin invasion.
    CT scans clear
    pre op bHCG: 57, post op: 2.4
    On surveillance:
    Clear: 5/17/12, 8/23/12
    11/29/12 -- CT scan shows 1 enlarged retroperitoneal lymph node 20mmx15mm, stage changed to IIA
    12/17/12 - 3/17/13 -- EPx4 @ MSKCC
    Clear: 3/7/13, 3/28/13, 5/2/13, 5/30/13, 6/27/13, 7/25/13, 9/5/13, 10/10/13, 11/7/13, 12/16/13, 2/19/14, more to come...

Comment

I have yet to read the paper, but when I found out about the article two days ago from someone on Facebook, I knew it would be a matter of time before it showed up here. I can't argue yet on whether the study is sound, so I can't comment on that yet. Some of the findings I have read in passing don't make much sense, so I am a bit skeptical about the work as a whole. Once I dispense with some other work stuff, I will take a look at it.
      "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
      11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
      12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

This is certainly interesting. Wish the full text was available to the public without obscene fees. Would be curious as to their methods, and the abstract leaves something to be desired.

Comment

This is a recurring theme on this board. I do not know if this is any different, I will defer to Fed on that, but past studies/inferences have been wonky at best. This of course is not to say to go and light up a bong.
          Best,

Zsolt

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." - C.S Lewis

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Mass found 11/20/08
          Left I/O 11/25/08
          Pathology: Seminoma, Stage 1
          Surveillance: All Clear since

Comment

One thing people tend to forget whenever studies such as this one arise is that correlation does not imply causation. Unless it is demonstrated how, at a molecular and cellular level, smoking marijuana causes germ cell tumors to arise, one cannot argue that it is responsible for TC.
            "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
            11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
            12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

Working...
            X