Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any correlation discovered between Hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's, and TC surgery?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any correlation discovered between Hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's, and TC surgery?

This is more of a long stretch resource hunt for those of you still on this forum who might have undergone surgery for TC and soon after developed thyroid or immune disorder issues. Currently, I am undergoing tests to see which one I have, whether hypothyroid or Hashimotos which is an Auto Immune disorder that attacks the thyroid tissue.

I ask this because a few years ago is when I first showed signs of hypothyroid which gave me a low-T scare, as it was mere months after my surgery.

My question is, would there be any chance of surgery, or removal of the testicle causing this disease? Perhaps diagnostic procedures? (I ask this, because during a CT Scan shortly before symptoms developed, I was given an IV drip with some sort of fluid to help illuminate my organs on film, even through I had drank the cans of barium.

Also, has anyone else experienced thyroid issues on here shortly after their orchiectomy?

I hate having to have two giant weights tied around my neck. One, looming off in the distance being TC and the constant checking to ensure it's gone, and now hypothyroidism ever-present and beating the **** out of me, seemingly. Any input is obviously appreciated.
    Last edited by FocalPoint; 02-24-13, 10:51 PM.
    Dx: 10/4/10
    Blood Results for tumor markers came back Normal.
    Surgery/ Left I/O: 10/26/10
    11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
    11/3/10 - CT scan of Pelvis and Chest is clear, no abnormalities.
    11/18/10- Surveillance
    10/26/11 - All Clear

Sorry to hear FP. Unfortunately I don't really have any information, but no I've never heard of any correlation between TC and hypothyroidism.
    Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
    www.stevepake.com
    https://www.facebook.com/yacancerbysteve/
    Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
    My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
    C
    ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

I haven't heard of a correlation either. If there were, there would probably be more folks here with similar problems.
      It's natural to try to tie all our problems to one source, I believe, but sometimes we get multiple disorders that are just not related at all.

What does your doc have to say about it?

Dave
      Last edited by Davepet; 02-26-13, 04:03 AM.
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
        I haven't heard of a correlation either. If thee were, there would probably be more folks here with similar problems.
        It's natural to try to tie all our problems to one source, I believe, but sometimes we get multiple disorders that are just not related at all.

What does your doc have to say about it?

Dave
        Eh, not too much Dave. He diagnosed it as Hypothyroid, and didn't look into further detail. I'm attempting to get an appointment with an endo currently to try and get a better grasp as to what I have... whether it's hypothyroid, or an auto-immune disorder such as hashimoto's thyroiditis. Currently, I am on a T4/T3 natural supplement med called Armour. Not the typical synthetic approach as I was placed on initially. I had to beg for the natural version as I want nothing to do with a pill that might keep me dependent all my life. Armour at least has shown a possibility of helping kick start the thyroid. Not to mention that natural supplementation seems safer to me at this point. I still feel kind of meh on most days, foggy head, few joint aches and cold feeling. I've had my T tested and was told it was within normal parameters. This seems likely, as my body hair is still plentiful, and more seems to grow each day. 5 o'clock shadow sets in after a day or so, sometimes noticeably less... like 10 hours. Erections seems fine, even though hypothyroidism can kill your sex drive and ability to obtain full erection. So, I suppose I'm back in limbo, looking for a cure for this debilitating disease. Not what I was hoping for after the break I got on my TC.
        11/2/10 - Pathology report came in, 100% seminoma with no evidence of cord invasion. 3 foci, 1.1cm, 0.6cm, and 0.3cm.
        11/18/10- Surveillance
        10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Originally posted by FocalPoint View Post
          I've had my T tested and was told it was within normal parameters..
          There is the rub. "Normal" is such a wide range as to be almost useless. If you are having symptoms of low T & you are in the bottom half of "normal" than you might want to consider TRT. The symptoms, not the T level numbers are more important here, since what is fine for one guy is totally inadequate for another, even though both are in the "normal range". It is what is normal *for you* that is the important number to find. I'm still struggling with that one myself..

Dave
          Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
          Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
            There is the rub. "Normal" is such a wide range as to be almost useless. If you are having symptoms of low T & you are in the bottom half of "normal" than you might want to consider TRT. The symptoms, not the T level numbers are more important here, since what is fine for one guy is totally inadequate for another, even though both are in the "normal range". It is what is normal *for you* that is the important number to find. I'm still struggling with that one myself..

Dave
            Yeah I did see the numbers, although I can't recall what my free-T was, I remember it not being on the lower end of the scale. Not the higher end either, though. I believe Hypothyroid is the culprit in my case. Not only do bloods show this to be factual, but I sometimes have days where the thyroid jumps back to life and works well with my meds and causes me to be super energetic, or hyperthyroid. It's pretty aggravating to feel like a million bucks one day, and not want to get out of bed before 1pm on others. I'm going to get bloods drawn tomorrow, and see an endo probably next week, assuming I get a call back on my appointment request. While no man can ever eliminate low-t from being a possibility of them feeling like garbage, with all my symptoms being more characteristic of hypothyroid, or underactive thyroid, and the fact that it runs in my bloodline, I'm pretty sure if I can get that situated, I'll be back to my old self.
            11/18/10- Surveillance
            10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Taking this one point at a time:

whether it's hypothyroid, or an auto-immune disorder such as hashimoto's thyroiditis.
              These are two different things, although one can be the cause of the other ... Hashimoto's is the autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid (I have it too). Hypothyroidism is the symptomatic condition of having low thyroid hormone. Hashimoto's can cause Hypothyroidism, and is the main cause of hypothyroidism. There is no treatment or anything for Hashimoto's, so the only benefit of knowing whether that is the root cause of the thyroid condition is being on the look out for other automimmune troubles. Otherwise what would need to be treated is the low thyroid hormone.

Currently, I am on a T4/T3 natural supplement med called Armour. Not the typical synthetic approach as I was placed on initially. I had to beg for the natural version as I want nothing to do with a pill that might keep me dependent all my life. Armour at least has shown a possibility of helping kick start the thyroid. Not to mention that natural supplementation seems safer to me at this point.
              Sorry Focal, gonna have to dispute ALL of this and honestly don't know why Armour is still on the market. Armour is made from ground up pig thyroid ... yep, pig. It does provide both T3 and T4, but that is not of any extra therapeutic benefit since our body turns T4 into T3 naturally, so T4 is the only thing you need to take for hypothyroidism. On top of that taking something from a pig increases the immune response from your body, and if the cause is actually autoimmune you could exacerbate that. In this case something natural is more dangerous than the synthetic.

Moreover, in this case the synthetic isn't really a drug - it is normal T4 hormone ... not a mimic-type drug or anything, but actually giving you what your body isn't making. And in general hypothyroidism won't go into remission, so whether it is Armour or levothyroxine (aka synthroid) you will be on it for good.

I still feel kind of meh on most days, foggy head, few joint aches and cold feeling. I've had my T tested and was told it was within normal parameters.
              Symptoms could be low T, low thyroid, or a combination of both. An endocrinologist is definitely a good idea to help you sort it out.

As for the original question of correlating tests with thyroid disorder - there have been no specific ties, I don't think, but if this is indeed Hashimoto's than autoimmune disorders can be triggered by a number of seemingly innocuous events.
              Tracy
              Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
              Left I/O 12/31/10.
              4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
              1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
              Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
              Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

I am Hashimoto's hypo too, and the only way I could get my thyroid optimally treated was with Armour - 90 in the morning, 60 in the afternoon. I had been on Cytomel/Synthroid combo but that didn't help. Luckily, the Armour has not exacerbated my Hashis, but it does in some people. I am thankful for my Armour every day. When Luis had TC, my thyroid was so out of whack it was insane, and after I discovered Armour. I have never looked back!
                Heidi

Husband - age 51
                10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; -HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
                11/1/10 4X BEP
                12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - -HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
                2/15/11 - Post-chemo PET ; residual 8 mm x 2 cm
                6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
                Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

Originally posted by CancerSux View Post
                  Taking this one point at a time:

These are two different things, although one can be the cause of the other ... Hashimoto's is the autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid (I have it too). Hypothyroidism is the symptomatic condition of having low thyroid hormone. Hashimoto's can cause Hypothyroidism, and is the main cause of hypothyroidism. There is no treatment or anything for Hashimoto's, so the only benefit of knowing whether that is the root cause of the thyroid condition is being on the look out for other automimmune troubles. Otherwise what would need to be treated is the low thyroid hormone.

Sorry Focal, gonna have to dispute ALL of this and honestly don't know why Armour is still on the market. Armour is made from ground up pig thyroid ... yep, pig. It does provide both T3 and T4, but that is not of any extra therapeutic benefit since our body turns T4 into T3 naturally, so T4 is the only thing you need to take for hypothyroidism. On top of that taking something from a pig increases the immune response from your body, and if the cause is actually autoimmune you could exacerbate that. In this case something natural is more dangerous than the synthetic.

Moreover, in this case the synthetic isn't really a drug - it is normal T4 hormone ... not a mimic-type drug or anything, but actually giving you what your body isn't making. And in general hypothyroidism won't go into remission, so whether it is Armour or levothyroxine (aka synthroid) you will be on it for good.

Symptoms could be low T, low thyroid, or a combination of both. An endocrinologist is definitely a good idea to help you sort it out.

As for the original question of correlating tests with thyroid disorder - there have been no specific ties, I don't think, but if this is indeed Hashimoto's than autoimmune disorders can be triggered by a number of seemingly innocuous events.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with much of what you said in the bold print. I was on synthroid for over a year. Dosage was at 100mcgs and I got tired of feeling like garbage, cold/numb feet and hands, and no weight loss seemingly. I switched to Armour, and lost 40lbs in a short amount of time. The weight literally melted off. My hands and feet aren't nearly as cold. The foggyhead is still very much a problem, and it feels like my meds drop off at a certain part of the day, whether it's the amount of coffee I drink a day, which is quite a bit, I can't be sure. Moreover, since this thyroid hormone is a processed in the liver, your liver has to be in good standing for synthroid to convert properly from T4 to T3. I suspect my liver might be adversely affected by my hashis or hypo. Still unsure of my current Dx on that, as one endo told me anyone who hasn't had radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer is hashis, which contests every single bit of data online. My father had hypothyroidism and eventually it corrected itself. Hashimotos is, in fact, curable. The problem is where to begin to treat the immune disorder at its source. My theory points to the gut. It's subjected to so much garbage and toxins, but the biggest perp in this case is long strands of antibiotics. My issue and subsequent posting to see if there was a trend between Hypothyroid/Hashis and TC was because I was trying to figure out if the substances given to me at testing or during surgery might've caused or triggered the auto-immune response. Some pregnant women develop hashis after childbirth for no reason seemingly.

Suffice to say, before my TC Dx, I was told I had a serious infection of the epididymis as that's about where the lump presented itself. I was given a large string of ciprofloxacin, which is a heavy antibiotic. Without using any sort of probiotic, I believe this could've lead to a poor balance of good flora in the gut vs bad. Throwing off ying and yang and causing problems in the gut altogether. This has been dubbed by the masses as "Leaky gut syndrome" where essentially the overpopulation of yeast or candida due to weakened probiotic and good flora bacteria takes over control of the gut causing a string of issues in the body, specifically toxins releasing into the blood stream. Toxins like soy, gluten, dairy, stuff that our body can normally consume properly and digest. Instead this has caused an autoimmune response to our white blood cells giving the OK to destroy any sort of tissue or cell that contains a specific signature trace, such as gluten. Much like an allergy would do the same. Funny thing is, gluten shares a very similar signature trace with the thyroid tissue. Thus is where the great mystery leads me to believe that improper balance of flora in the gut has caused an autoimmune response that has marched an attack on the thyroid mistakenly. This autoimmune response is not treatable by conventional medicinal practices because lets face it, they make more money throwing pills at you to take. You're a lifelong customer if you're not cured, right? So how do you fix this issue in the gut? Good question. It takes time. What took years to develop, and keep thriving could take just as long to reverse, but it's possible. I would suggest eliminating gluten from your diet completely. Remove any soy intake, as well as dairy especially after taking your meds as this prohibits the liver from properly distributing and converting your thyroid supplementation. I'm on Armour simply because my body needed that extra T3 boost. What if my liver isn't converting T4 to T3 properly due to problems with the gut? Synthroid proved to me that it was ineffective, and Armour has done much more for me than Synthroid, that's for sure.

Now, my symptoms still persist, and it does suck, but I'm getting better, and dealing with it on a more sensitive level so that I can better treat my actual condition instead of kicking it under the carpet. I would strongly suggest you ladies check out some of the key points I've touched on. You're welcome to draw your own conclusions, but there's a big reason why I won't go on antibiotics anymore. I feel like this is why hashis is becoming an epidemic in this country, and no one is the wiser. Abuse or misuse of antibiotics is probably contributing.
                  11/18/10- Surveillance
                  10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Sorry to tell you, but Hashimoto's will kill your thyroid. That is what it does. You will be on thyroid replacement for life when that happens. You can try to control the auto immune at its source, by living a very tight, careful lifestyle in which your foods, exercise, stress, are all tightly controlled. Even then, your immune system will still swing back and forth since life is unpredictable, and with Hashi's, your thyroid will suffer the brunt of the attack, until it dies.

And you're not on Armour for T3 alone - you are on Armour for thyroid replacement, which includes T4, T3, T2, and T1. And if you have Hashi's, then Armour can really make the auto-immune response worse. My thyroid is harder to regulate on Armour - I swing more often - but I like how all the other thyroid symptoms are abated with Armour, as opposed to Synthroid, so I accept the swings. Armour has a lot of T3 in it - I love T3, my body craves it because I am pretty hard on my body with restrictive diet and intense exercise.

I also accept that my thyroid is being attacked and will die someday. I wish it would die sooner than later so that the swings will stop.

All these hormones - thyroid, the sex hormones, adrenal - they all work together in concert. Balance is the key. I suspect that the epidemic of hypo and Hashis can be attributed in part to better testing and lowered thresholds, gluten, and fluoride.

Cutting out gluten and dairy I think is important for lots of thyroid patients, especially those with Hashimoto's. And I do try to limit both. But you know what? I like bread at times. And good bowl of ice cream. So no dice on completely cutting it out for me. But do know that if you go low-carb and follow a ketogenic diet (under 50 carbs a day), your thyroid will tank, your T3 will plummet, and you'll need more thyroid med.

You are fooling yourself if you think that your condition will eventually go away.

Have you ever tried not taking your thyroid med for a month? Your thyroid is dying. It needs replacement medication.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
                    Heidi

Husband - age 51
                    10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; -HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
                    11/1/10 4X BEP
                    12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - -HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
                    6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
                    Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

Originally posted by hbr777 View Post
                      Sorry to tell you, but Hashimoto's will kill your thyroid. That is what it does. You will be on thyroid replacement for life when that happens. You can try to control the auto immune at its source, by living a very tight, careful lifestyle in which your foods, exercise, stress, are all tightly controlled. Even then, your immune system will still swing back and forth since life is unpredictable, and with Hashi's, your thyroid will suffer the brunt of the attack, until it dies.

And you're not on Armour for T3 alone - you are on Armour for thyroid replacement, which includes T4, T3, T2, and T1. And if you have Hashi's, then Armour can really make the auto-immune response worse. My thyroid is harder to regulate on Armour - I swing more often - but I like how all the other thyroid symptoms are abated with Armour, as opposed to Synthroid, so I accept the swings. Armour has a lot of T3 in it - I love T3, my body craves it because I am pretty hard on my body with restrictive diet and intense exercise.

I also accept that my thyroid is being attacked and will die someday. I wish it would die sooner than later so that the swings will stop.

All these hormones - thyroid, the sex hormones, adrenal - they all work together in concert. Balance is the key. I suspect that the epidemic of hypo and Hashis can be attributed in part to better testing and lowered thresholds, gluten, and fluoride.

Cutting out gluten and dairy I think is important for lots of thyroid patients, especially those with Hashimoto's. And I do try to limit both. But you know what? I like bread at times. And good bowl of ice cream. So no dice on completely cutting it out for me. But do know that if you go low-carb and follow a ketogenic diet (under 50 carbs a day), your thyroid will tank, your T3 will plummet, and you'll need more thyroid med.

You are fooling yourself if you think that your condition will eventually go away.

Have you ever tried not taking your thyroid med for a month? Your thyroid is dying. It needs replacement medication.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

I get a sort of condescending vibe from your post. What you've read and been told about Hashi's is theory. Theory is neither fact, nor is it entirely fiction, so I'm trying my best to comprehend your adamancy in stressing how "unhopeful" a fix or cure to hashimoto's thyroiditis is. While people who have found cures do exist, they are few and far between to come across. Oprah, is apparently one of them. A few other natropaths and dieticians swear by a H2O2 cleanse followed by a strong probiotic to fix the gut. You fix the gut, you correct the immune system, you remedy the problem. Years ago, they said it was impossible to fix HIV/AIDs or cure it rather. Fourteen people just 2 months ago were functionally cured of that autoimmune disorder, and that's the baddest head at the top of the immune disorder totem pole. While you have your theories on Hashi's and it's attacks on the thyroid, yes, you are right. It will kill and destroy your thyroid rendering it useless. That's not to say that it can't be stopped IF you catch it in time. Cutting out gluten altogether is key. That is the autoimmune trigger. Gluten is not... NOT required to function. It is NOT required to produce T3. Carbs can be obtained through other starches like whole grain oats, rices, etc. Wheat gluten is the enemy. Avoid it like the plague. Now, saying that. Have you been tested for celiac disease, as well as had an antibodies test, or are you relying on your doctor to evaluate and diagnose your thyroid condition based solely on TSH numbers?
                      11/18/10- Surveillance
                      10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

I get a sort of condescending vibe from your post. What you've read and been told about Hashi's is theory. Theory is neither fact, nor is it entirely fiction, so I'm trying my best to comprehend your adamancy in stressing how "unhopeful" a fix or cure to hashimoto's thyroiditis is. While people who have found cures do exist, they are few and far between to come across. Oprah, is apparently one of them. A few other natropaths and dieticians swear by a H2O2 cleanse followed by a strong probiotic to fix the gut. You fix the gut, you correct the immune system, you remedy the problem. Years ago, they said it was impossible to fix HIV/AIDs or cure it rather. Fourteen people just 2 months ago were functionally cured of that autoimmune disorder, and that's the baddest head at the top of the immune disorder totem pole. While you have your theories on Hashi's and it's attacks on the thyroid, yes, you are right. It will kill and destroy your thyroid rendering it useless. That's not to say that it can't be stopped IF you catch it in time. Cutting out gluten altogether is key. That is the autoimmune trigger. Gluten is not... NOT required to function. It is NOT required to produce T3. Carbs can be obtained through other starches like whole grain oats, rices, etc. Wheat gluten is the enemy. Avoid it like the plague. Now, saying that. Have you been tested for celiac disease, as well as had an antibodies test, or are you relying on your doctor to evaluate and diagnose your thyroid condition based solely on TSH numbers?
                        Read into it what you wish. There was no condescension on my part.

I have been living with this for years. I have seen experts at major medical centers. I have seen naturopaths. And everyone in between. I am currently treated by an osteopath who only goes by FT3, FT4, and actually, how I feel. My TSH is flatlined and my provider could care less.

I am a librarian and I research and read journal articles on this subject constantly. Constantly. Not web sites, or thyroid patient advocates, but actual medical journals both mainstream and alternative/complementary. The reality is: anyone who tells you there is a "cure" for Hashi's is trying to sell you something. Experts don't even understand it, and they can't cure it. There is lots of anecdotal evidence that going gluten free can help with many autoimmune disorders. For some people, wheat gluten is the enemy. But not everyone. You cannot generalize like that.

The antibodies test for celiac/gluten AND the antibodies tests for TPO and TPI for Hashimoto's are less than accurate. We know that gluten causes inflammation. Bad for any auto immune disease. Sugar also causes inflammation and many people avoid it for the very reason you are ascribing to gluten. Sugar also wrecks MAJOR havoc on the gut flora.

If you know how to stop Hashi's for you, I am very happy. But what works for you may not work for everyone.

Here is what I know about me: I waged a war on my metabolism and thyroid by going on restrictive eating plans. Low cal, and ketogenic. It killed my T3, and sent me into hypo land. I was freezing cold. My hair fell out. It was horrible. Dieting, among other things, can cause transitory thyroid disease. Hence Oprah's thyroid "cure" when she stopped Medifast. Nothing miraculous about it.

What works for ME is to not diet.

What works for you is to go gluten free.

The reality is: NO ONE KNOWS.
                        Heidi

Husband - age 51
                        11/1/10 4X BEP
                        Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

Read into it what you wish. There was no condescension on my part.

I have been living with this for years. I have seen experts at major medical centers. I have seen naturopaths. And everyone in between. I am currently treated by an osteopath who only goes by FT3, FT4, and actually, how I feel. My TSH is flatlined and my provider could care less.

I am a librarian and I research and read journal articles on this subject constantly. Constantly. Not web sites, or thyroid patient advocates, but actual medical journals both mainstream and alternative/complementary. The reality is: anyone who tells you there is a "cure" for Hashi's is trying to sell you something. Experts don't even understand it, and they can't cure it. There is lots of anecdotal evidence that going gluten free can help with many autoimmune disorders. For some people, wheat gluten is the enemy. But not everyone. You cannot generalize like that.

The antibodies test for celiac/gluten AND the antibodies tests for TPO and TPI for Hashimoto's are less than accurate. We know that gluten causes inflammation. Bad for any auto immune disease. Sugar also causes inflammation and many people avoid it for the very reason you are ascribing to gluten. Sugar also wrecks MAJOR havoc on the gut flora.

If you know how to stop Hashi's for you, I am very happy. But what works for you may not work for everyone.

Here is what I know about me: I waged a war on my metabolism and thyroid by going on restrictive eating plans. Low cal, and ketogenic. It killed my T3, and sent me into hypo land. I was freezing cold. My hair fell out. It was horrible. Dieting, among other things, can cause transitory thyroid disease. Hence Oprah's thyroid "cure" when she stopped Medifast. Nothing miraculous about it.

What works for ME is to not diet.

What works for you is to go gluten free.

The reality is: NO ONE KNOWS.
                          Have you looked into Thytrophin PMG? My hypothyroid case was much different. I had some hairloss, and my body temp fell slightly, but I was physically fatigued all over, especially in the joints. Brain fog set in, and seeing straight was even an issue. I wanna say my TSH was around a 6.4 and the level for a normal scale is a typical average of 2. While on synthroid, my numbers were better, but something wasn't right. My T3 wasn't converting properly, which leads liver issues as a possibility. ED is also a problem, and I just turned 28, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've explored testosterone as being low, and received a normal reading every time. Not to mention that body and facial hair is plentiful, and fast growing. Muscle development is too, and I can occasionally obtain full erections. Soon after a blood test, for Free-T that is, it was discovered that I had a higher TSH level than normal. Began a synthroid regiment, and felt slightly better, but not 100%. In my life, nothing ever comes that easy. So I tried it, increased dosage, felt good some days, and worse the next. Timed my pill intake to avoid caffeine, soy, and dairy so I could correctly absorb the hormone, and still never was 100%. I switched to Armour, and the chilly numbed toes and hands went away, and I felt like I had better control. The boost of T3 kinda gets me through the day. I then tried iodine, and coconut oil, kumbucha tea, etc. I try to keep a healthy diet, probably drink too much coffee at times, but hoping that my body can correct itself at some point, while I hold off the intruders on my thyroid as best I can.
                          11/18/10- Surveillance
                          10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

I love Armour. It works really well for me!

Thytrophin PMG - that's the stuff from cow thyroid glands? Nope, I won't touch it because of my total irrational fear of mad cow disease, s well as wanting my thyroid regulated by the Armour. Aarmour for me is dirt cheap - $9 for a 90 day supply, cheaper than any supplement.
                            Heidi

Husband - age 51
                            11/1/10 4X BEP
                            Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

I love Armour. It works really well for me!

Thytrophin PMG - that's the stuff from cow thyroid glands? Nope, I won't touch it because of my total irrational fear of mad cow disease, s well as wanting my thyroid regulated by the Armour. Aarmour for me is dirt cheap - $9 for a 90 day supply, cheaper than any supplement.
                              Hey Heidi, I've recently discovered Armour does have gluten in it, and being a trigger food for my hashimoto's, I have decided to move over to Naturethroid/Westhroid which is gluten free and apparently has better absorption than Armour. I still find myself going back and forth on the TSH level scale. Some days are better than others, but no two days are the same. I'm hoping I can be happy with this new drug, but I don't think I'll be able to get a grip on this whole deal until my body stops attacking the thyroid, or it dies and stops offsetting the levels in my system.

I still come back with "in range" testosterone, at mid to high 400's. Doc says it's definitely Hashimoto's after a antibodies test, and I had a consultation with a specialist who said the fact that my body's hormones took a hit after the I/O could be playing a part in the surfacing of this disease. He stated "There is something causing an imbalance somewhere. Your testosterone, or gut heath, or perhaps your adrenals." He wanted to do a huge expensive panel to decipher it, which I wish I could afford, but it's literally a $1500 test, and I don't have that kind of money at this time.

Since then, I've been trying to stay clear of gluten which is supposedly the master trigger food, but not always, and also hitting the vitamins hard. There was a few days where my meds lapsed and I couldn't taken them. Strangely, I felt normal. Not as on edge, or "twerky" as I put it. I could think slightly clearer too, so I have a feeling my dosage is a little high, but needs to be for the dips I get every other month or so.
                              11/18/10- Surveillance
                              10/26/11 - All Clear

Comment

Working...
                              X