Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any weight to Rick Simpson's Medicinal Hemp Oil?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any weight to Rick Simpson's Medicinal Hemp Oil?

A friend of mine pointed me to Cannabis oils as an aid to cure Cancers. I was skeptical, so I done some research and found out Harvard and other Universities had found that something in the oil actually does kill Cancer. I think it's something called THC-9. They refer to the oil as Rick Simpson's Medicinal Hemp Oil. I know there are others who have heard of this, so can anyone shed some light?

That sounds interesting!

I know I could use a little THC while going through this 3xBEP, cause I have been feeling like crap!
    March 2012 - I/O Right Testicle (pure Seminoma)
    April 2012 - July 2013 surveillance
    July 12, 2013 LDH 365, Node is in abdomen size = 2.7cm. (treatment needed)
    August 5, 2013 beginning 3xBEP

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jimmiller71

Comment

Originally posted by geekman View Post
      A friend of mine pointed me to Cannabis oils as an aid to cure Cancers. I was skeptical, so I done some research and found out Harvard and other Universities had found that something in the oil actually does kill Cancer. I think it's something called THC-9. They refer to the oil as Rick Simpson's Medicinal Hemp Oil. I know there are others who have heard of this, so can anyone shed some light?
      Do you have a link we might visit from Harvard (or other universities) showing their studies? The results of searching on"Rick Simpson's Medicinal Hemp Oil " leaves me thinking "snake oil". Anytime a drug claims to cure that many ills, it usually cures nothing.

Dave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Originally posted by Davepet View Post
        Do you have a link we might visit from Harvard (or other universities) showing their studies? The results of searching on"Rick Simpson's Medicinal Hemp Oil " leaves me thinking "snake oil". Anytime a drug claims to cure that many ills, it usually cures nothing.

Dave

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0417193338.htm

It's not Harvard, but it's a credible source that mentions the trail Harvard did. Trying to find the Harvard paper - it may not be free.

Comment

THC can falsely raise HCG levels. If B-HCG is being monitored in your TC case as a tumor marker, it might be wise to stay away from THC.
          Heidi

Husband - age 51
          10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; -HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
          11/1/10 4X BEP
          12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - -HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
          2/15/11 - Post-chemo PET ; residual 8 mm x 2 cm
          6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
          Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

So many things to point to here ...

First, on Heidi's point - she is dead on ... if hCG is one of the markers you are watching, you have to be careful with MJ as it will elevate hCG.

As for THC-9 .. I don't know anything in particular about this substituent (more correctly termed Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol), but a brief pubmed search turned up more information about its activity in MJ as a whole, or in psychosis work. (see: "The cannabinoid Δ(9) -tetrahydrocannabinol has been determined to have the primary psychoactive effects; the effects of several other key cannabinoid compounds have yet to be fully elucidated." from this abstract)

That is not to say that components of MJ do not have medicinal properties. To date, however, the main use for MJ, or the pharmacological version Marinol, has been in the control of chemo and cancer-related nausea and vomiting and wasting syndrome (not eating). There is no active component with anti-cancer (e.g. tumor kill) activity, although I do not doubt that one day a component of MJ will be isolated and expanded for this purpose. I highlight component for two reasons - one, because there are a number of ingredients in MJ - some good, some bad, and not all will help in terms of cancer kill, or immunity support (the two main reasons MJ is being studied). The second is that it is most likely that the components with activity are in too low of yield in the whole plant to be efficacious in the anti-cancer aspect, and will need to be either extracted and concentrated, or synthetically produced.

And lastly, for Dave - this is the most recent Harvard study I found related to the OP's post, but it really doesn't relate to cancer.

T
            Tracy
            Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
            Left I/O 12/31/10.
            4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
            1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
            Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
            Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

Working...
            X