X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dairy products

I am new to this group unfortunately, had a orchiectomy a month ago. Since then I've been reading about TC trying to figure out what have caused it ( didn't have undescended testicles or history of TC in a family). What is interesting is that is a strong correlation between dairy products consumption and TC incidence rate. Highest incidence rate is among Scandinavian countries and Switzerland. On the other hand East Asia and Africa are quite low. Immigrants to Scandinavian countries have much higher rate of TC than people from the countries they were born in. So diet plays a big role, I believe. Mostly cow milk and cow cheese. Maybe milk chocolate. For example, in Greece they consume a lot of milk and cheese but from goats which have a much smaller estrogen level than milk from cows. That is the reason why incidence rate in Greece is much smaller. Same goes with Spain and Portugal.
    And my own case proves it. My mother drank a lot of milk during life including pregnancy, I ate a lot of cheese and chocolate.
    A lot of studies were made over the last two or 3 decades that have emphasized this correlation but it still not fully acknowledged by medical profession. So what do you think?

I think there is no real evidence implicating dairy or any other food to TC & I doubt there will ever be a "cause" of any type found, Even with lung cancer all they say is smoking increases the odds, they don't say it causes it since there are many smokers who never get cancer.
    Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
    Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

Hey Vex,

I recently saw some of this research as well. I think Dave's point is a good one; you can't really "prove" something as a "cause" with certainty...unless you do a randomized prospective trial starting from birth, which would be tough haha! In prior years, I did a lot of similar epidemiology work in my career, looking at diet and risk of other types of diseases. The tricky thing with this type of work is it usually requires people to self recall how much dietary exposure they've had, which is not always extremely accurate. But, when you find a statistically significant result, it's still something that may be of interest to people. Often times, that interest is to encourage other more focused research on that hypothesis. All that being said, in my own case, I've flirted with the idea of going mostly vegan, for other reasons. So learning of this research provides me another data point to say, maybe cutting out dairy won't truly reduce my risk of relapse, but there is some small data to suggest that we can't rule that possibility out.

Comment

Trying to isolate the cause of some cancers is very difficult as you can imagine. There are so many variables that it is nearly impossible to isolate them, unless it is simply like smoking, or sun exposure. What I have read about dairy is that people who live to 100 or longer tend to consume very low amounts of dairy. It is just a correlation, but it is a strong one. My source for this is the Blue Zone diet book that looked at common denominators among centenarians. For that reason, I stopped drinking milk and cut back on cheese.

My personal opinion is that animal products are like the sun. A little bit of sun is good for you, but too much is bad. I tend to avoid animal products about 5 out of 7 days a week. If I eat them, it is organic. But I also supplement with B12 since I wasn't getting enough on a semi-vegetarian diet.

Comment

Working...
        X