Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orchiectomy Surgical Procedure Photos

I found this excellent webpage:

http://www.urologymatch.com/Orchiectomy.htm
    100% classical seminoma (I-A, RTI). Surveillance (no adjuvant therapy). 4 years all-clear and hoping for many more.

I can't look. There are some things better left unknown.
    "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
    Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

I looked.

And, it was hard for me to look at it, having had it done to me.

But, it is really a pretty simple operation - guess I thought it would be more involved.

Glad I did not look at this before my surgery . . .
      Right I/O 4/17/06, Seminoma Stage Ib
      RT (15 days) completed 6/1/06
      All clear as of 5/8/09

Comment

Hehe, actually I looked for such a page before my surgery but could not find one.

I wondered whether the muscle is sliced through during surgery and managed to find this page. As you can tell, I have no problem with such "gore".

Interesting that the scrotum is pushed up to the incision point - I had assumed that you just pull the spermatic cord and "hey presto". btw the spermatic cord is much thicker than I thought!
        100% classical seminoma (I-A, RTI). Surveillance (no adjuvant therapy). 4 years all-clear and hoping for many more.

Comment

Originally posted by ukboyuk View Post
          I wondered whether the muscle is sliced through during surgery and managed to find this page. As you can tell, I have no problem with such "gore".
          I find stuff like this fascinating. I've witnessed worse, though. When I was in high school, the majority of my friends were considering going to medical school (in Mexico you go to med school straight out of high school). The summer before our senior year, my friend and I donned our chemistry lab coats and went to the general hospital. We were hanging out around the morgue when the pathologist came out of a set of double doors and said, "Are you med students? Great! We just got a fresh one." We witnessed an entire autopsy firsthand.
          Originally posted by ukboyuk View Post
          Interesting that the scrotum is pushed up to the incision point - I had assumed that you just pull the spermatic cord and "hey presto". btw the spermatic cord is much thicker than I thought!
          They kinda have to do it that way. The inguinal canal has the diameter of a pencil, so you can imagine how difficult it must be to pass an entire testicle through there .
          "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller
          11.22.06 -Dx the day before Thanksgiving
          12.09.06 -Rt I/O; 100% seminoma, multifocal; Stage I-A; Surveillance; Six years out! I consider myself cured.

Comment

I had assumed the IO was done this way for precisely the reason Fed mentioned. A testicle, particularly an enlarged cancerous testicle, is quite a lot to get through the narrow inguinal canal. If the canal were much wider, our testicles might be vanishing into them quite frequently.

I'm glad I hadn't seen these images before my first IO as, being new to cancer back in 1996 and very shaken by the whole thing, that would have made matters much worse. I suppose I wouldn't have minded seeing them this time (2008) since I already had a reasonable idea of how it's done. What is remarkable to me is just how fast the procedure is.
            TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
            TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Originally posted by Fed View Post
              ...you can imagine how difficult it must be to pass an entire testicle through there .
              My urologist made a point of telling me it was a challenge, with my testicle enlarged to 9.5 x 6.5 x 5.9 cm.
              Scott, scott@tc-cancer.com
              right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds LIVESTRONG Foundation services for people facing cancer now. Please join me!

Comment

OK, I did look. I'm very glad I decided to go under general, rather accept the offer to do local and watch.
                Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul54 View Post
                  OK, I did look. I'm very glad I decided to go under general, rather accept the offer to do local and watch.
                  Your urologist seriously offered you that? Both of my times, there was never any question: general anesthesia, for which I'm quite glad. In fact, for my latest surgery to get my prosthesis repositioned, my doctor opted for general in lieu of sedation. There are some things which just don't need to be experienced.
                  TC1: 1996, right orchiectomy, seminoma stage I 3.5 cm mass, radiation therapy (peri-aortic & pelvic 27.3 Gy)
                  TC2: 2008, left orchiectomy, seminoma stage IA 5 cm mass, left & right prostheses, AndroGel TRT, surveillance at MSKCC

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    My urologist made a point of telling me it was a challenge, with my testicle enlarged to 9.5 x 6.5 x 5.9 cm.
                    Yikes, that is large indeed, Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by Aegletes View Post
                      Your urologist seriously offered you that? Both of my times, there was never any question: general anesthesia, for which I'm quite glad. In fact, for my latest surgery to get my prosthesis repositioned, my doctor opted for general in lieu of sedation. There are some things which just don't need to be experienced.
                      Not only did mine offer the same thing, he was pushing the "local" (conscious sedation). Meantime, if they had offered me something stronger than the general, I would have picked it in a heartbeat.
                      Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

Yes, my doc made the offer to watch. Same with the orthopedic surgeon that did my knee, and the doc who did my colonoscopy. I declined to be awake for any. During my years as a medic, firefighter and EMT, including internships in ER's, I saw lots of gruesome things. But when it comes to my "stuff", I don't wanna see. The exception was when they did my angioplasty to widen a cardiac artery, because they wanted me to tell them if I "felt it". I watched the monitor as they threaded it up from my thigh. That was weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul54 View Post
                          (...) I watched the monitor as they threaded it up from my thigh. That was weird.
                          I'll bet it was! When I had my cystoscopy done, the monitor was placed in such a way that both the urologist and I could see it. I regret not watching it but the blinding pinching pain was a little too distracting and all I could do was close my eyes tight. The doctors should record these procedures as MPEG4s for later viewing with the family.

Comment

Working...
                          X