Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Based Fund Raising

Hi all,

I am nearing 6 months all clear now (fingers crossed) and my most recent check up passed without issue, to the best of my knowledge. I am getting to the stage now where I have a burning desire to give something back to the people that helped me (or saved my life if you prefer).

I am looking at doing a sponsored event of some description for "It's In The Bag" which is a testicular cancer charity specifically for the South West of England. I have been wracking my brains for something good to do that will challenge me and therefore inspire people to give more money as what I am doing is a real challenge.

I've looked into "3 Peaks Challenge" where you climb Britain's 3 tallest mountains in one day. I've also looked into doing a London to Paris bike ride but this seems a bit cost heavy. I just wondered whether anyone had any good ideas to help me out?

All suggestions greatly received.
    "Physically, half the man I used to be...Mentally, twice the man I've ever been."

"Losers quit when they're tired. Winners quit when they've won!"

After posting this I have been offered a place on the National 3 Peaks Challenge on 1st June 2012 and I have taken it. I will be climbing the 3 highest mountains in the UK in 24 hours for "It's In The Bag".

If anyone wishes to donate then my Just Giving page is http://www.justgiving.com/AlexJamesHowells

Thank you all, as always for your support.
    "Physically, half the man I used to be...Mentally, twice the man I've ever been."

Comment

Alex - that is AWESOME! Good luck climbing those mountains.
      Last edited by CancerSux; 05-02-12, 09:19 PM.
      Tracy
      Cancer pharmacologist, caregiver blog here

Wife to Kel, dx 12/30/11 Stage IIIc (poor) embyronal, AFP 13700, 10x11 cm retroperitoneal mass, 1 cm^2 lung met
      Left I/O 12/31/10.
      4xBEP 1-4/11, AFP=22, 5*7 RP mass, tx failed
      1.5 x VeIP 5-6/11; tx failed, AFP/b-hCG rising
      Salvage RPLND @Indy 6/29/11, metastatic mixed germ cell tumor with yolk sac, seminoma and teratoma
      Remission! AFP steady since 9/2011; 2+ years ALL CLEAR

Comment

Originally posted by CancerSux View Post
        Alex - that is AWESOME! Good luck climbing those mountains.
        Thanks (wo)man, won't be easy but then it wouldn't be a challenge!
        Last edited by CancerSux; 05-03-12, 03:44 PM. Reason: Fixing my gender :)

Comment

Well done Alex. A worthy challenge indeed!

A year or two ago I climbed one of those mountains, Snowdon, for Love Hope Strength. The 3 Peaks will be a fantastic experience and you will raise a ton of money. Count on me for sponsorship!
          Nick

Embryonal Carcinoma; Seminoma. Marker negative.
          August 2001: Right I/O .
          August - December 2001: Surveillance .
          December 2001: Relapse - Stage III. Mets in lymph nodes and lung.
          December 2001 - March 2002: 3xBEP .
          Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

March 2012 - Ten years since finishing chemo.

Survivorship Blog is here

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
            Well done Alex. A worthy challenge indeed!

A year or two ago I climbed one of those mountains, Snowdon, for Love Hope Strength. The 3 Peaks will be a fantastic experience and you will raise a ton of money. Count on me for sponsorship!
            Thanks Smartie. I still would love to meet up in Weston some time, things have been a bit mental over the last few months with Charlie and getting back to normal etc. I'll try and sort something out soon.

Comment

Best of Luck with this.

I have friends who have done the 3Peaks, from what they tell me it is worth giving serious thought to the order (where you start) to make the most of the available daylight and navigational challenges when you are seriously tired. Also need to think about the road conditions in between climbs.
              Feb 12 - Ultrasound confirms suspicious swelling, AFP 2, HGC 3, LDH 644, CT Scan - clear. Urologist says probably tumour
              28 Feb 12 - Left I/O Classic Seminoma (Alveolar) 3.9cm max, no LVI or RTI, encapsulated and excised. pT1. AFP 2, HGC <1
              Apr / May / Aug 12 / Dec 12 / Mar 13 (notionally 1 Year) - Oncologist - All clear inc CT / CXR
              ~Aug - next planned surveillance

Grumpy is just a 20 year old nickname not an instruction Okay

Comment

Originally posted by Grump_uk View Post
                Best of Luck with this.

I have friends who have done the 3Peaks, from what they tell me it is worth giving serious thought to the order (where you start) to make the most of the available daylight and navigational challenges when you are seriously tired. Also need to think about the road conditions in between climbs.
                I'm doing Ben Nevis then Scafell Pike then Snowdon. Looking forward to it and not all at once! Thanks for the support.

Comment

Snowdon has the shortest approach walk which may be the reason many choose that order.

If you do the version that only allows travel by sail, bike and foot it is done other way round I believe starting at Barmouth !
                  Feb 12 - Ultrasound confirms suspicious swelling, AFP 2, HGC 3, LDH 644, CT Scan - clear. Urologist says probably tumour
                  28 Feb 12 - Left I/O Classic Seminoma (Alveolar) 3.9cm max, no LVI or RTI, encapsulated and excised. pT1. AFP 2, HGC <1
                  Apr / May / Aug 12 / Dec 12 / Mar 13 (notionally 1 Year) - Oncologist - All clear inc CT / CXR
                  ~Aug - next planned surveillance

Grumpy is just a 20 year old nickname not an instruction Okay

Comment

It'd be great to meet up, Alex. Maybe one evening after work?
                    Nick

Complications: Neutropaenic sepsis during cycles 1 & 3. I/V antibiotics and isolation.

Comment

It'd be great to meet up, Alex. Maybe one evening after work?
                      That'd be ideal. I'm training each night for the challenge at the moment but maybe the 1st week in June? Maybe it will have stopped raining by then?

Comment

Fundraising is going fantastically well and I would like to thank everyone from these forums who has taken the time to donate to the charity. I am well into my training now and the charity are very excited by the amount of kind donations they are receiving. If anyone hasn't donated yet and would like to then please see the page below.

Thank you all again.

www.justgiving.com/AlexJamesHowells

Comment

This time next week I'll have driven to North Wales, climbed up and down Snowdon, and driven home again...and that's just the training! Not long now until the real thing.

All support greatly appreciated...

www.justgiving.com/​AlexJamesHowells

Comment

Good luck with it Alex. I found walking down the mountain even harder than going up - so don't use all your energy on the ascent!

Hope you get good weather (unlikely in North Wales, I know!). Do you know which path you'll be taking?
                            Nick

Comment

Good luck with it Alex. I found walking down the mountain even harder than going up - so don't use all your energy on the ascent!

Hope you get good weather (unlikely in North Wales, I know!). Do you know which path you'll be taking?
                              I don't know yet Nick, will let you know once I've done it next week. Hopefully its the one with the train!

Comment

Working...
                              X