• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonytwotone
    • Nov 2012

Emend with BEP cycles. Does it work?

Hi there,

I just started my first cycle of BEP and had an absolute nightmare as the week progressed and went into the weekend. Aside from taking the chemo rather harshly, my anti-nausea meds are causing some side effects of their own. Compazine agitates to me the point of pacing up and down the halls of my apartment for hours on end. Ativan made me vomit the first 2 times I took it. Could very well be an unavoidable coincidence but it also gives me paranoia and terrible dreams. Zofran has also caused me bad stomach cramps. It made Thursday thru Sunday near death. I lost 26 pounds from day 1 to day 8!

I've been fortunate enough now to be placed on Emend for the next cycle and was wondering what, if any, were others experiences with it. I know my reactions to my meds is very rare but I am holding out all hope that this Emend stuff is as much as a miracle drug as I've heard it proclaimed on other sites.

Cheers and one love!
    3/12/12 - Diagnosed
    5/11/12 - Right Orchiectomy
    Mixed germ cell tumor w/ yolk sac tumor
    11/5/12 Began chemo BEP 3X
  • TonyTigger
    • Apr 2012

Emend worked ok with me just as all the others. They kept me from throwing up but I basically had constant nausea. Hopefully this will be the answer for you.
    Tony

Diagnosed 4/12/12
    AFP 31, HCG 32
    I/O 4/25/12
    Nonseminoma Stage 1S
    Embryonal Carcinoma 95%, Yolk Sac 5%
    Lymphatic Invasion, Markers did not normalize
    BEPx3 Finished 8/5/12
    Post Chemo APF 2 HCG Undetectable

Comment

• ColdCanadian
      • Jul 2011

Mornings started with Emend - 80mg except for 125mg on day 1 of the heavy weeks.
      At the hospital they gave me 2x8mg Ondansetron as well as 2x4mg Dexamethasone prior to any chemo treatments.

The above worked for me. Often felt feelings of nausea, but no vomit issues. Just finished my last cycle last week so things are still fresh in my mind. Way too fresh.

Wish you the best through the rest of your cycles. Got more tired toward the end, but they seemed easier to take.
      2011: July 7 - Right I/O, Aug 4 - Seminoma - 2.7cm - Surveillance 2012: July 30 - Relapse, 3cm paraaortic node, blood work normal. Nov 6th - Finished BEPx3 Jun 24 - 1.5 years post chemo all clear

Comment

• val
        • Feb 2010

Hi

My brother took it during his treatment and never had any problems with it. Best of luck with your treatment
        Val Brother (23 when diagnosed) : Dianosed 14/09/2009, testicle removed, Non sem diagnosed. Tumour markers 36000 before op and dropped to 17000 after operation.. Chemo started end of september 4 x BEP. Tumour markers normal at end of chemo. RPLND 26 Feb 2010 No cancer found. Latest Appointment November 2013- CT and markers normal http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.pnghttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.pnghttp://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/core/...es/biggrin.png

Comment

• hbr777
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tonytwotone View Post
          Hi there,

I just started my first cycle of BEP and had an absolute nightmare as the week progressed and went into the weekend. Aside from taking the chemo rather harshly, my anti-nausea meds are causing some side effects of their own. Compazine agitates to me the point of pacing up and down the halls of my apartment for hours on end. Ativan made me vomit the first 2 times I took it. Could very well be an unavoidable coincidence but it also gives me paranoia and terrible dreams. Zofran has also caused me bad stomach cramps. It made Thursday thru Sunday near death. I lost 26 pounds from day 1 to day 8!

I've been fortunate enough now to be placed on Emend for the next cycle and was wondering what, if any, were others experiences with it. I know my reactions to my meds is very rare but I am holding out all hope that this Emend stuff is as much as a miracle drug as I've heard it proclaimed on other sites.

Cheers and one love!
          I am so sorry to hear this! Ask to have the Emend extended to 5 days days instead of 3. Beg. They'll do it, eventually. It made all the world of difference for my husband.

Why didn't they give you Emend for the first cycle?
          Heidi

Husband - age 51
          10/20/10 - Primary mediastinal seminoma - 10 x 9.3 cm; ß-HCG = 33 (<2.6); AFP = 3.5 (<9); LDH = 274 (100-200 )
          11/1/10 4X BEP
          12/7/10 End Cycle 2 - ß-HCG = 2; AFP = 4.6; LDH = 139 ; 4XBEP changed to 3 as tumor now 2.1 x 3.7 cm
          2/15/11 - Post-chemo PET ; residual 8 mm x 2 cm
          6/29/11 - Lung nodules stable or smaller, chest mass continues to shrink & markers all normal
          Surveillance since 6/11

Comment

• tonytwotone
            • Nov 2012

Thanks for all the answers so far. My hope is that what I've read on other cancer forums about it (breast, lung, etc) will hold true for me. I am uninsured and am receiving my treatments at a county hospital. The people are great but you have to do your own research a lot as they give you the bare minimum for some stuff. Emend's high price is what kept them from using it cycle 1.

I can take the nausea, but the vomiting was just too much. I've lost so much weight already and while I could use it for sure, I want it to be at a slower pace.

Again, thank you all. It's very reassuring to be chatting with men and couples who have been there too. One love.
            3/12/12 - Diagnosed
            5/11/12 - Right Orchiectomy
            Mixed germ cell tumor w/ yolk sac tumor
            11/5/12 Began chemo BEP 3X

Comment

• zesasmom
              • Jun 2012

So sorry to hear the first week has been so bad ..

My son is on his 3rd week second round ....just had bleo today. His dr just added ativan to the zofran phenergen combo he s been taking....also he has a patch to add on round three for nausea.
              I also have heard emend works very well.

To give u a little hope that it may get better....my son s very worse week was round one long week. He was miserable....didnt throw up but was ready with bowl at his bedside in case. Ive never seen him so sick and had anticipated that each round would get worse because its cumulative. Round two long week was bad but much easier than the first. He s starting round three on monday so we will see what that brings.

Good luck...hope it gets easier for you.

Lori
              Eli s mom
              6/15/12 left i/o
              50%yolk sac 35%embryonal 15%seminoma
              No lvi markers normalized
              Stage Ia surveillance
              8/12 chest xray markers normal
              9/12 ct retroperitoneal lymph nodes up to 3cm
              10/12 markers elevated
              Stage IIa
              10/15/12 bepx3
              Lori
              Eli s mom
              6/15/12 left I/o
              50%yolk sac 35%embryonal 15%seminoma
              No lvi markers normalized
              9/12 ct several enlarged retro peritoneal lymph nodes 3cm
              10/12 markers elevated
              10/15/12 3xbep
              1/13 complete response
              Surveillance

Comment

• TGlover
                • May 2010

When I did my BEPx3 I was on an emend trial (5 days during treatment).. It helped me, but I didnt have much to baseline it with but I rarely threw up. We also were given Kytril/Ganesitron daily. When it got really bad I also had some injections of stemitel (prochlorperazine I think)

I did not take Dex as it did not mix well with me, and for bleo pushes they used corticosteroids(?) which I took better to.

Everyone reacts to chemo differently, my worst bouts of nausea was during the mag push.

The brain works funny, I cannot have my blood taken in the same area I did chemo in, i get sick and nauseous automatically walking into that place. I also get sick thinking about some of the foods I ate during chemo. 2 years on!

I also felt like I was jumping out of my skin at times, restless, exhausted yet hard to sleep... stick with it though, it gets easier and you will find the push to finish it. For my physically first cycle was hardest, emotionally 2nd was hardest.

all the best, keep a diary of everything and make sure to tell your dr/nurses everything.. dont suffer in silence.
                Initial diagnoses: Elevated hCG, Left I/O 17-June-2010. Prosthetic implant.
                Pathology: Stage 1b, Seminoma/Teratoma
                Treatment: Surveillance. hCG normalised 07/10
                Relapse: Elevated hCG. 3xBEP finished 24/01/2011

Comment

Working...
                X