7 months after chemo.... here to help others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnArmijo
    • Nov 2015

7 months after chemo.... here to help others.

I stared down the Terminator. He didn't flinch.
    I engaged the GIJOE team. I was killed.
    I hunted down the Indominus Rex in Jurassic World. I was slaughtered.
    I fought Koba for control of the Planet of the Apes. I lost.
    I faced cancer in a life and death struggle. And I KICKED ITS ASS.

My name is John Armijo. VERY small time actor (www.imdb.me/johnarmijo). I was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2014, and was declared 'ALL CLEAR!'. Then I wasnt, six months later.

It had spread to my lymph nodes which required 9 weeks of chemotherapy. 5 days a week, 6 hours a day, followed by 2 weeks "off". As if being willingly poisoned isnt enough, the day chemo ended, the real hell -PTSD, kicked in.

These days, 7 months later, I'm a mentor for new patients and will begin speaking at conventions (next week actually), to discuss my works and cancer awareness. While the above may sound it sound easy, it isn't. I've been to hell and back. I swear that till the day I die, I will do anything in my power to save whoever I can from experiencing what I went through.

My end goal is that parents teach their sons the same way we teach our daughters to self exam. And not only our sons, but ALL men. Its a very rare cancer to begin with, but is the #1 cancer for males aged 15-35 years old. 368 men will DIE from TC this year alone. Quick action is the key, but most wait an average of SIX MONTHS to say anything out of embarrassment. Not an option. Quick action and know your body. It can save your life. Dont literally die of embarrassment.

I'm happy to help anyone I can, however I can. Ask any questions you may have, and Ill try to share whatever I can with you.

I work with a couple different foundations now, and am very active on the Testicular Commons Facebook Support Group page, which is run by Dr Craig Nichols. I'll try to spend some time here as well. This group was EXTREMELY helpful for my wife and I as we researched this disease.

Glad to be here.

John
  • JohnArmijo
    • Nov 2015

My original goal was to document the entire experience to serve as a guide to others that would be diagnosed. I kept up pretty good for awhile, but the chemobrain eventually kicked in, followed by some major depression and darkness, and I didn't snap out of it for a few months. I'd like to go back at some point and fill in the blanks.

Comment

• Davepet
      • Mar 2010

Welcome to the group no one wants to join, John!

Dave
      Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
      Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

• JohnArmijo
        • Nov 2015

Thanks Dave,
        Ive read your story many, many times.

The club no one wants to be part of... true. But once you're in, you're in. Do whatcha can with the experience and hopefully share it to make it easier on the next guy

Comment

• worried_mom
          • Jul 2015

Hi John! The TC world is (forunately) small !

Hello Dave and lurkers (as I have been - still am and probably always will be ). I have reached out to a few people on this board and I thank each of you, including John (from another forum) for their input.

Once my son was diagnosed, we were - more I was - confronted with questions and found many answers on this board. We thank you.

Remember: if your journey may seem rockier to you, than your fellow brothers ( you dont know what they are going though and never compare your route to others!) you still have the same goal.

much love, blessing and strength,
          Denise
          Mother of Son (Son's date of birth: August 1987. Age at diagnosis 27, now 28)

1 July 2015: Son discovered small knot in left testicle, no pain. Waited and observed.
          10 July 2015: Appointment with urologist. ultrasound: 1.7 cm tumor, blood work: AFP - 1.62 (5.50), bHCG- <0.1 (<2.0), LDH159 U/l (135-225), 2.65 umol/s/l (2.25-3.75) .
          14 July 2015: Hospital, same diagnosis.
          15 July: 2015 l/O, Pathology: Stage 1A 100% Seminoma.
          16 July 2015: CT - Clear
          October 2015: Blood work - Normal range
          January 2016: Bloodwork - Normal Range
          Febuary 2016: CT - Clear

July 2016 - One year clear!!

Active Surveillance recommended by hospital Doctors, His Urologist .
          Via email by Dr. Nichols and Dr. Einhorn

Comment

• S P
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Hey John, nice to see you here.
            Young Adult Cancer Survivorship by Steve Pake
            April is Testicular Cancer Awareness Month!
            www.stevepake.com
            Feb 2011, Stage IIB, 4xEP, RPLND, PTSD
            My Survivorship Thread | All of my Blogs
            C
            ONTACT ME ANYTIME!

Comment

• Casbes
              • Feb 2015

Good job, John. Cathy DeLoach

Comment

• Chemin
                • Feb 2014

Hello, This site has been a blessing to me as a caretaker. It's been so informational. Funny, I have lurked on the other venue you frequent, and you've been very inspirational to me there as well. I have no doubt you will help and give advise to those who are here. Welcome!
                9/6/13 Left I/O. 18 year old son diagnosed 9/13/13 Stage 2C. Path report: embryonal and yolk sac with spermatic cord involvement and lymphatic invasion BEP x 3 finished 11/25/13. PC-RPLND with Dr. Foster at IU on 1/21/14. Found only dead cancer! Surveillance as of 1/23/14. All clear as of 5/2018.

Comment

• JohnArmijo
                  • Nov 2015

Thanks for the invite guys! If we all do a little to make a difference, it sure adds up to a lot... and we can make life saving changes for all the guys joining the club

Comment

Working...
                  X